Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's going to win the league?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bayern München shouldn't have a bother doing the job, maybe PSG or I think Real Madrid might pull it out of the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Have a look at Feb/Mar... :eek:

Liverpool (A)
    Man Utd (H)
    fa cup 5th round game (good chance will be moved)
    Bayern (H)
    Sunder (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Swansea (A)
    Q.F Fa if they win 5th round
    Bayern (A)
    Spurs (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    City (H)
    Everton (A) April 5th

Still think that if they beat City and Chelsea they will be out of sight enough to take the title.

Realistically, Arsenal need to build a 5 points plus lead before the Liverpool game.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Liverpool
    ronjo wrote: »
    Realistically, Arsenal need to build a 5 points plus lead before the Liverpool game.

Yes & No.

they will get knocked out if the CL and turn all their efforts into those critical games at the end of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Rovers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Arsenal
    Can't see anyone stopping City.

After that it's between Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Each of those have their own vulnerabilities, Arsenal and Liverpool lack squad depth. I wouldn't underestimate Mourinho's ability to throw a wobbler just for the sake of it either.

After the top 4, I'll go with Everton, Spurs, United, Newcastle, Southampton - as it is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Have a look at Feb/Mar... :eek:

Liverpool (A)
    Man Utd (H)
    fa cup 5th round game (good chance will be moved)
    Bayern (H)
    Sunder (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Swansea (A)
    Q.F Fa if they win 5th round
    Bayern (A)
    Spurs (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    City (H)
    Everton (A) April 5th

Still think that if they beat City and Chelsea they will be out of sight enough to take the title.

Potentially 6 away games in a row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Arsenal
    You'd have to fancy City but the fixtures against the top 7 really give Chelsea a chance!

City: Spurs (a), Chelsea (h), United (a), Arsenal (a), Liverpool (a), Everton (a)
    Chelsea: United (h), City (a), Everton (h), Spurs (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a)
    Arsenal: Liverpool (a), United (h), Spurs (a), Chelsea (a), City (h)

Liverpool: Everton (h), Arsenal (h), United (a), Spurs (h), City (h), Chelsea (h)
    Everton: Liverpool (a), Spurs (a), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (h), United (h), City (h)
    Spurs: City (h), Everton (h), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a)
    United: Chelsea (a), Arsenal (a), City (h), Liverpool (h), Everton (a)

Considering Chelsea's ability to grind out results atm, you have to give them a really good shout with winning the league if they keep it up.

And these fixtures really don't look good for United especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's going to be City. They'll pull away in February or March. Money tells, they've spent the most

Potentially 6 away games in a row?

Swansea is at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Chelsea buy a top notch CF during the January window, I'd have been hard pushed to look past them. their defence seems to be getting itself together, which is always the bedrock for successful Mourinho teams.

they don't have that CF though.

and for that reason, i'll say City.

City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal

as for 4th. I have absolutely no clue right now, and wouldn't want to jinx anything by saying Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Everton
    rob316 wrote: »
    Who voted united or liverpool seriously like?

I voted for Liverpool, because it's about time to be back on the f***in perch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Man City
    Chelsea will grind it out. It'll be ridiculously tight, inside three points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Man City
    Chelsea will grind it out. It'll be ridiculously tight, within three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Everton
    I for one hope to god chelsea dont win it as they are one dull team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

St Patricks Athletic will win the league IMO

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Arsenal
    City's to lose

Chelsea/Arsenal

And then an almighty battle for fourth between Pool, Spurs & Everton

Hoping for Pool obviously

Arsenal
    City's to lose

Chelsea/Arsenal

And then an almighty battle for fourth between Pool, Spurs & Everton

Hoping for Pool obviously

What about United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump! Arsenal drop the ball and two points, they could be third by 10 pm Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal
    mike65 wrote: »
    Bump! Arsenal drop the ball and two points, they could be third by 10 pm Wednesday.

Worse still, they've a tough run of it, starting with Liverpool away on Feb 8th.

Still though, I think it'll be City to win and the current top 4 as is but not sure what order.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Man City
    I called Chelsea at the start of the season, i'll stick with them. Jose will start grinding out the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Everton
    Rodgers played Everton like fools tonight forcing them out wide. It's Liverpool league to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal
    Well Arsenal dropped 2 points last night, so thats them out of it, if you take any notice of the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Everton
    Arsenal have a habit of dropping the ball. Their schedule in the next month or so is really tough, gonna be a test for Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

City by 10 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'd like to see Arsenal but suspect it will be Liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Arsenal
    Surely nobody genuinely believes that Liverpool will actually win the title.

I do - when City and Chelsea are docked 10 points for breaches of FFP and Arsenal have their Spring collapse under the weight of their schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Arsenal
    mitosis wrote: »
    I'd like to see Arsenal but suspect it will be Liverpool
    Your suspiscions will prove grossly incorrect. It's a two horse race between Man City and Chelsea, as it has been pretty much all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Arsenal
    It's a two horse race between Man City and Chelsea, as it has been pretty much all season.

Highly ignorant considering Arsenals position and football they've played all season. Suarez hasn't been bad either and might sneak a top 2 place, doubt it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Trilla wrote: »
    Highly ignorant considering Arsenals position and football they've played all season. Suarez hasn't been bad either and might sneak a top 2 place, doubt it though

That does sound a bit funny alright. It's a two horse race between....2nd and 3rd. Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Liverpool
    This post in the Arsenal thread sums it up nicely...

keano_afc wrote: »
    Pfft.

The league table as it appears:

1. Arsenal
    2. Man City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool
    5. Spurs

League table in the newspapers:

2. Man City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool
    5. Spurs
    6. Everton

First is just an empty spot waiting for City or Chelsea to fill it, according to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Your suspiscions will prove grossly incorrect. It's a two horse race between Man City and Chelsea, as it has been pretty much all season.

lol, do results in actual football matches have any bearing in your interpretation of the league up to now?

If Man City can win tonight and again against Chelsea, they'll be unstoppable I reckon. Unfortunately I can't see Arsenal still being on top with Flamini and Ramsey both out for the upcoming games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Arsenal
    City to win, followed by Chelsea, Arsenal third.

United, Liverpool and Spurs to scrap for fourth.

United v Liverpool game will decide alot when it comes to deciding top 4.

That does sound a bit funny alright. It's a two horse race between....2nd and 3rd. Right.

Well Arsenal have only 16 points from last 6 games..... Mugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Everton
    City are gonna walk the league now id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Man City
    I predict - Man City to win - strongest squad, deadliest attack and look to be hitting form away now.

Last nights Chelsea game will be a common occurrence throughout the season, without a top CF they will continue to draw blanks. Position 2nd/3rd

Arsenal for me are a strange one, I keep expecting them to fall away but credit to them with one fit proper striker they are still in there. A tough schedule awaits and that will ultimately hurt them. Position 2nd/3rd.

Liverpool and United to fight it out for 4th. Liverpool are leaking goals and have been hit hard enough by injuries but with players like Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho they are tearing teams apart at home, if they can replicate that away and beat United at old Trafford, 4th is there's.

United if they can consistently get Mata, Rooney and RVP on the pitch will run that 4th spot very close. I wouldn't back against them but there performances are still very disjointed, and a real lack of quality in the centre has been evident all season.

Sigh! :( if the attritional crap of Chelsea wins the league it'll be a victory for "the wrong type of football" - like England winning the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

mike65 wrote: »
    Sigh! :( if the attritional crap of Chelsea wins the league it'll be a victory for "the wrong type of football" - like England winning the World Cup.

Or it'll comically happen all over again.

Chelsea win a couple of leagues playing their classic Mourhino style. Eventually Abramovic wants more attacking free flowing football.

Arsenal
    It'll still be City winning the league.

I cant see many other teams turning up and beating or taking points off City at home.

• Advertisement

Bump!

City have three games in hand on Chelsea can they make up the difference, can Arsenal or Liverpool close the gap? Or is this becoming a one horse race in waiting?

Chelsea
    29---+34--66
    Liverpool
    28---+38--59
    Arsenal
    28---+24--59
    Manchester City 26---+42--57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Man City
    if you look sideways at the poll, it looks like City are giving the middle finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Man City
    It'll be Chelsea or City to win the league, Liverpool would need to win all 10 remaining games to give them a real chance so I cant see that happening..

Chelsea should be champions if they win 7 of their remaining 9. If Chelsea do win 7 out of 9, then City would have to get 8 points from their trips to United, Everton, Arsenal and Liverpool. A big task.

Looking like its Chelsea's title if they keep going the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The only worry is that against smaller teams who keep it right, we don't break them open as easily as City do, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite us in the remaining games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Man City
    The only worry is that against smaller teams who keep it right, we don't break them open as easily as City do, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite us in the remaining games.

Yep, every game has the potential to be tough.

Even Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich at home for Chelsea you cant 100% bank on 3 points IMO.

Arsenal
    The 9pts clear of city is great.

Points on board are much better than games in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Everton
    It's not as bad as in Germany with Bayern Munich 20 points ahead though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Arsenal
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Very true.

Slight advantage Chelsea for me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Man City
    GavRedKing wrote: »

And a more favorable fixture list unless City duck out of Europe and Chelsea soldier on to the latter stages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Everton
    Very true.

Slight advantage Chelsea for me now

Has to be more than a slight advantage at this stage. It would take a minor meltdown for Chelsea not to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Arsenal
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Has to be more than a slight advantage at this stage. It would take a minor meltdown for Chelsea not to win the league.

What if City were to win games in hand? Not beyond them.

Dont think Liverpool are totally out of it. Ye win game in hand, ye have Chelsea at home, who knows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement