Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's going to win the league?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I hate to be that guy but could someone change the thread title to Who is? It hurts to read. Thanks :)

As strong as City are and even with all the games in hand, I don't think they will be able to reign Chelsea back. Mourinho will have all their heads in the right place. They will drop some points but not enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Liverpool
    Chelsea are favorites now but I think it's far from done and dusted yet as some people seem to be making out. They still have to play Arsenal and Liverpool two massive games. I reckon there will still be one or two twists yet to play out in this years race for the title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I agree that the points Chelsea have in the bag are better than City's games in hand but it's way too tight to call right now, one poor result from Chelsea and City hitting form as they have shown will make this a very exciting finish to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

karma_ wrote: »
    I agree that the points Chelsea have in the bag are better than City's games in hand but it's way too tight to call right now, one poor result from Chelsea and City hitting form as they have shown will make this a very exciting finish to the season.
    9 points is a lot to reign back in. We can do it. Three games in hand, so the fixtures are mounting up. Luckily enough, two of those games in hand are relatively (repeat, relatively) straightforward, the difficult one being Sunderland who we consistently struggle against; they are a jinx team to us. That run in we have is bloody difficult though difficult trips to Anfield, Goodison and the Emirates and potential banana skins at Hull and Crystal Palace. Chelsea have the easier run-in and, though it pains me to say it, I think they'll probably win the PL by 4 or 5 points. Hope I'm wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump!

1 Chelsea
    30 +33- 66
    2 Liverpool
    29 +41- 62
    3 Arsenal
    29 +25- 62
    4 Manchester City 27 +44- 60

City still have 3 games in hand over Chelsea who lost and two games over Liverpool and Arsenal who won.

City's next two games are both away - Utd and Arsenal then home to Soton and away to Liverpool which is by any standards a tough run.

Chelsea play Gala midweek and then Arsenal away. Obviously if they beat Gala that's more games to stretch them. They have the "easiest" run in but Villa shows how that means little.

Arsenal obviously have Chelsea and City (see above) plus Everton away and an FA Cup tie against Wigan.

Liverpool have no cup games and face Cardiff away, Sunderland at home before Spurs, City and Chelsea come to Anfield in three successive home ties with two "easier" away games between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Liverpool
    City are favourites now, for me, marginally ahead of Chelsea, given that 6 points from the 3 games in hand would be enough to be first. Arsenal don't look likely, as we'd need to step up against City and Chelsea, which we really haven't ever done against Mourinho, despite some awful injury problems. Liverpool have a shot, with an easy-ish run in and no fixture congestion, but would still be 3rd favourites IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

mike65 wrote: »
    Bump!

1 Chelsea
    30 +33- 66
    2 Liverpool
    29 +41- 62
    3 Arsenal
    29 +25- 62
    4 Manchester City 27 +44- 60

City still have 3 games in hand over Chelsea who lost and two games over Liverpool and Arsenal who won.

City's next two games are both away - Utd and Arsenal then home to Soton and away to Liverpool which is by any standards a tough run.

Chelsea play Gala midweek and then Arsenal away. Obviously if they beat Gala that's more games to stretch them. They have the "easiest" run in but Villa shows how that means little.

Arsenal obviously have Chelsea and City (see above) plus Everton away and an FA Cup tie against Wigan.

Liverpool have no cup games and face Cardiff away, Sunderland at home before Spurs, City and Chelsea come to Anfield in three successive home ties with two "easier" away games between.
    Fulham at home next saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1 Chelsea
    31 +39 - 69
    2 Liverpool
    20 +44 - 65
    3 Manchester City 27 +49 - 63
    4 Arsenal
    29 +19 - 62

Bad day for Arsenal who play City on Saturday, City play Man Utd at OT on Tuesday and if Utds current upswing can be maintained that'll basically make sure Chelsea win the title in my opinion. So hard to see them stumble CL or no CL.

Using the points ladder system the table is now split into three distinct zone

1 Chelsea
    31 +39 - 69
    -
    -
    -
    2 Liverpool
    20 +44- 65
    -
    3 Manchester City ---27 + 49 - 63
    4 Arsenal
    29 +19 - 62
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    5 Everton
    29 +13 54
    6 Tottenham
    30 -1 53
    -
    7 Man United
    29 +14 51
    -
    -
    -
    -
    8 Newcastle United
    30 -2 46
    9 Southampton
    30 +6 45
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    10 Aston Villa
    29 -6 34
    11 Stoke City
    30 -12 34
    12 Hull City
    30 -5 33
    13 Norwich City
    31 -22 32
    14 West Ham United---- 29 -8 31
    15 Swansea City
    30 -6 29
    16 West Bromwich
    30 -12 28
    17 Crystal Palace
    30 -20 28
    -
    -
    18 Sunderland
    28 -18 25
    19 Cardiff City
    31 -32 -25
    20 Fulham
    31 -40 24

will update later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Man City
    If you look at Chelsea's fixtures you would expect:

Palace (A) - WIN
    Stoke (H) - WIN
    Swansea (A) - WIN
    Sunderland (H) - WIN
    Liverpool (A) - ???
    Norwich (H) - WIN
    Cardiff (A) - WIN.

Them 6 potential wins would leave Chelsea on 87, and possibly more depending on the result at Anfield. Considering Chelsea wont slip up in them 6 games, they look very good and 87 points looks unassailable unless Liverpool are 100% perfect and City almost perfect.

Liverpool's fixtures:

Sunderland (H)- WIN
    Spurs (H) - WIN
    West Ham (A) - WIN
    City (H) - ???
    Norwich (A) - WIN
    Chelsea (H) - ???
    Palace (A) - WIN
    Newcastle (H) - WIN

So Liverpool have their 6 ''bankers'' too. Which would get them up to 83 points. So 2 wins vrs City and Chelsea would give them 89, and pretty much make them champions. But winning every single game? I dunno. Certaintly in with a shout but I think they made need another slip from Chelsea along the way.

City's fixtures:

United (A) - ???
    Arsenal (A) - ???
    Southampton (H) - WIN
    Liverpool (A) - ???
    Sunderland (H) - WIN
    West Brom (H) - WIN
    Palace (A) - WIN
    Everton (A) - ???
    Villa (H) - WIN
    West Ham (H) - WIN

City have 6 ''bankers'' there. Which would guarantee them 81 points. Meaning they need just 6 more from their 4 games at United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton to get to Chelsea's 87 points (and overtake them on goal difference). Can City find 2 wins from them 4 games? Or 3 draws and 1 win?

Anyhow, for City 87 is the magic number.
    Its looking like 88 is the number for Chelsea/Liverpool.

How can you call this? Never seen it as close between 3 teams at this stage.

Advertisement