Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathole Fall

• 14-01-2014 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could give me directions to get to Cathole Falls, I have been at Cathole Falls beside where you park, and there is a picnic area, I have even walked down the forest path along the river, but I have since seen other photos from the area which show an even more impressive waterfall, if anyone knows how to locate this please let me know :)
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could give me directions to get to Cathole Falls, I have been at Cathole Falls beside where you park, and there is a picnic area, I have even walked down the forest path along the river, but I have since seen other photos from the area which show an even more impressive waterfall, if anyone knows how to locate this please let me know :)
    thanks in advance!

Could you post pics of this waterfall and maybe I'd know which one your on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I'd imagine it's Glenbarrow you're referring to. It on up past the Catholes into the mountains. Much more spectacular falls alright.
    Hard to give directions, it's a maze of roads up there but Glenbarrow is pretty well signposted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Hey I live in Clonaslee and I can tell you that it is Glenbarrow you're thinking of, no other waterfall in the area.

What direction are you coming from?

here is a google map to it showing the way from Rosenallis.

From the village go up the lane on the left between the houses at the church.
    Continue up there about 3km and take a right (I think it's signposted but if not you'll be going up a hill straight away.)

Another 2km down here and you'll come to a crossroads and take a left here.

Go in this road all the way about 2km and you'll land in the carpark for Glenbarrow, about a 20min walk from here :)

288817.png

Hope this helps you out, it's a lovely place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭john d nevin

Hey thanks for all the replies, I will post a picture of the waterfall i'm referring to below, I have been down the Glenbarrow trail several times and it is not down there... thanks for any further help :)

http://www.athyphoto.ie/photos/thumbnail/802/master/

Ah ok John, no idea on that one at all :)

• Advertisement

No problem, thanks anyway YbFocus..

No idea either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Excellent stuff civdef, thank u very much :D I had an idea it was down that direction but the walking trail doesnt go that far I dont think, abit of exploration will be required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

That's Glenbarrow falls alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A bit of confusion in this thread to be honest.

The Catholes are on the Owenass, flowing east off of Capard, down into Mountmellick where it joins the Barrow at the Borness. That photo is the catholes, and its just at the carpark but back up to the left.

Glenbarrow is a few miles away (hard walking) across over the Ridge of Capard, flowing North-East and is of course the source of the Barrow. Well worth trekking for that though in much drier weather as its treacherous bog upstream of Glenbarrow.

There's also a nice little waterfall (more of a stream falling over a steep rockface) on the lower reaches of Glendine East. But not on the Glendine river itself. In Glenamoon I think. I'll have to jog my memory.

ps The Silver River trail is well worth walking. In Cadamstown. Nice rapids and some very deep points also. Tricky enough, to be honest, in the winter. A safer walk in Spring. Very deep weir upstream also. I'd say you'd enjoy that walk and even further upstream also.

Excellent thats great, thank you again an Ri Rua, i am taking note of all this and putting them on the to-do list :) thanks again! great information! If i need any more info on the Slieve Blooms ill just pm you lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

By all means PM me. No problem at all. I study the Slieve Blooms a lot, from historical, geological and other angles. A lot more to those valleys than meets the eye. Steeped in history.

ps not telling you your business but I would always recommend carrying the OS sheet map and a compass with you. I also carry 2 phones with gps and different networks. Its very easy to have no network in lots of valleys. That's risky. The Slieve Blooms look harmless but they can be a dangerous place to be if you're alone and get into difficulty.

Safe exploring!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

I think if you cross the little bridge at the catholes and follow the trail to the right, you will come accross that waterfall. You can walk quite a bit down there and its lovely, be careful though.
    I'm lucky enough that our land runs beside the owenass river. Nice area

yes your on the ball Roxirose.. was down there the other day. turns out I have been down there several times before, i just didnt recognise the waterfall! it really is beautiful down there, and all the times i've been down there I've never met a soul :) I wonder has any one ever travelled down past the steep ravine at the end of the walking trail? it looks tempting but I reckong you'd want a pair of waders on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

We have but then again we are up and down that river since we were kids. Obviously not advisable when the water level is high. Its lovely and sheltered actually for a picnic too.

Ahh you are lucky so! great playground to have as kids I'd imagine...

edited!!

Oh one strange phenomenon which I liked about this place was these orbs that were showing up in lots of my pictures... They were not lens blur or anything becuase they were in different spots in different pictures, and some had more than others, this pic below had the most of the lot though

http://postimg.org/image/lvvlvs7u1/

I ain't seeing any orbs in that link !!

Jesus john d :) Maybe you linked the wrong tab :)

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Jesus john d :) Maybe you linked the wrong tab :)

Phew. Hope it's not some kinda bug!!

what?? how come its working for me? lol...are ye not seeing a forest scene??

what?? how come its working for me? lol...are ye not seeing a forest scene??

Eh no!! Lol. I'd remove it if I were you john. And quick!

ok granted - there are some scantily clad women at the bottom of the page... but thats the image hosting website! nothin to do with me!!

ok its gone and anyways!! peculiar to say the least... so what were ye seeing?? or should i not ask.. very strange altogether, twas a harmless aul picture like!

ok granted - there are some scantily clad women at the bottom of the page... but thats the image hosting website! nothin to do with me!!

There was a lot more on top of the page too!

oh right I wasn't getting any of that! anyway my sincerest apologies to you both I hope your not traumatized by the experience :) lol

oh right I wasn't getting any of that! anyway my sincerest apologies to you both I hope your not traumatized by the experience :) lol

Na not at all!

Advertisement