Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Red Dot (Pistol)?

• 14-01-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been using a tube type red dot (Bushnell TRS25) on my pistol on and off for a while.
    I do shoot better with it and think this is because I shoot indoors and the light is not great or enough for me to keep focus on the open sights (My focus drifts after 1 or 2 shot in a string). I'm well over 40, I wear prescription glasses and need reading glasses (varifocals usually).

I shot in a competition a few months ago (T&P) and found that rest position (45degrees) up to acquiring target - I spent too much time looking for the red dot (particularly the 2 second time). I made all the shots, though the RO did say I was close on a few of them ( got the benefit of the doubt I suppose :-) ).

My question is would the 'other' type of red dot be easier to use? - as in acquire the dot faster when coming up on target? I've seen it referred to as a ramp type RD or a reflex sight.

As you can imagine these things are not cheap (well I've seen some really really cheap - but know that you pay for what you get....cheaper ones mean larger MOA dots, 'out of shape dots' etc). I'm not talking about getting Aimpoint or Trijicon priced ones, but maybe something between 100-150, or a little higher.
    But before spending that kins of dosh I'd like some advice from you guys?

So anyone tried both types out? is the 'open type one easier to acquire the red dot?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I have never tried the type of Red dot you are using but have used the Reflex on 3 pistols. These are good and when you get the nack of using then easy to find the Dot sight.

One was an Aimpoint at over £300 the other 2 were cheapo's from e-bay. The E-bay ones did the job, didn't matter if you broke it and held zero. Can be ordered in picatinny or 11mm mount.
    No parallax to worry about either.

Example from E-Bay
    E-bay item = 321170089235

Search for red dot reflex sight.

288787.jpg

288788.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

If your main problem is acquiring the dot in the Timed part of T&P then, I think you might just need a bit of practice with it and build up the muscle memory. You can do this at home. Hold the gun a 45deg and look down at it, tilting it to see the dot, then raise your arms to shooting position and hopefully you will still see the dot, then return to ready position. Repeat this till the cows come home and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi and thanks.

I've been doing some practice with this, but no matter what way you cut it - 2 seconds is short :-).

I do have a feeling that the type Clivej shows above may be quicker to acquire, because your looking at a screen rather than through a tube.

In this day and age I don't want to go wasting money on something that may 'speed' up target acquisition. (not like I was younger and money grew on trees :-) )
    Does anyone know of a good comparison or review - maybe youtube (though I have tried searching my self...).

Thanks again for the info and contributions.

Rgds.
    Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've the same red dot/refex sights as clive and they do need practice to get the dot on target in the two seconds.

Another drawback is that the dot can be very hard to see if it's a sunny day outside. Some days they are downright impossible to see.

I'd recommend sticking with the red dot sight you have and just practice it until you get quicker.

Put up a target at home on the wall. Stand 10m back. Fix your eye on the target and don't move your head. Without moving your head or taking your eye off the target, bring up the gun and align the red dot with the target (all without moving your head, just your arms and wrists.)

Practice this 1000 times and you will start to get faster. :D:D

The aim of the exercise is that you will get so used to bringing up the gun in the correct position , the dot will pretty much be on the centre of the target without you having to adjust it's position much. You will have practiced it so much that it becomes automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I think what I'm asking (and thanks for the help already given) is- Is the 'eye relief' better (wider angle eye relief - if I understand eye relief properly :-) ) on the open red dot compared to the tube one.

I think there is going to be a fair amount of practice involved anyway.

I might purchase a really cheap 'open' type - just to try it out.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I found the best way to keep your eye on the red dot is:
    At 45 degrees find look at the dot, then bring the gun up to the target keeping your eye on the dot, locate the X and fire.

EASY peasy (not)

Advertisement