Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Bike Question

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m looking to start cycling to work (around 10 miles a day return, although to a lot of you this is probably nothing) I am just wondering which type of bike you would recommend e.g. racer, hybrid etc.

The route is through the Dublin suburbs all roads with a couple of light hills. I’m looking at going through the bike to work scheme, can anybody recommend a reasonably priced bike and make?

I am new to cycling and really looking to get in to work as quickly as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

For what your describing it sounds like a hybrid. Trek 7.2 or the like. But if you think you will evolve to love cycling and get involved in the sport then a road bike, there is a simular thread with a felt bike for good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭imalwayshappy

Thaks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

I used to commute this distance for a number of years i.e about 5 miles each way. I used to do this in my ordinary work clothes and it worked out fine over this distance it used to take me about 20 mins each way.

You could certainly use a good hybrid bike as was suggested, I used a racing bike that had fixed mudguards fitted and I would suggest that if you go for a racing bike that you should make sure that it has eyelets on the frame that allow you to fit fixed mudguards so that on wet days you keep dry.

I saw a guy commuting last night on one of these electrically assisted bikes and he was flying along even going past a roadie who was also going along quite nicely at about 30kph ish. So that might be another option worth looking at for commuting.

Advertisement