Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Hospice Team 100 Half Marathon & 10K - Feb 22nd Avondale, (20euros entry)

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Ok new race on the calendar in Wicklow, around the lovely avondale park and surrounding roads, which is located near Rathdrum. Online entry is 20euros for either the 1/2 or 10k, and 25euros on the day. Loads more info up on their website: http://www.wicklowhospice.ie/event/wicklow-hospice-team-100-half-marathon-10k/

More info to follow, including a course map etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Great value for a Half.

Got a bunch from Dublin Runners heading down but would love to see a map of route first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Great value for a Half.

Got a bunch from Dublin Runners heading down but would love to see a map of route first.

I'll contact the main organiser and get back to ya asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'll contact the main organiser and get back to ya asap.
    Tell bill to get the garmin out:D....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭gammy_knees

Anyone know if the running surface is a mixture of forest trails and roads? As its going through the park I suspect its a trail. Not indicated on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Tell bill to get the garmin out:D....

Good man, few pics too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Any update on this?

Good value, good cause, ticks all the boxes, may also enable me get out for a lsr Sunday along the Wicklow Way Ultra trail by way of a recce for March, so might be worth the trek up from Kerry.

Now just gotta sort out permission.

The "forestry park" suggests it may not be on roads, which would be an extra bonus if so. Can anyone confirm that?

After my post above, I read somewhere that the 10k run is a one lap course, 50% on 'road' and 50% on forest trail. The Half Marathon is two laps of the same course. Sounds good - nice change from the usual road runs.

It does look like it could be a great event - great location, reasonable entry fee, and seems to be a proper charity event.

Would be nice to see a bit more info, but given the nature of the event I won't be too critical!

Think I'll do it anyway.

Paddigol wrote: »
    After my post above, I read somewhere that the 10k run is a one lap course, 50% on 'road' and 50% on forest trail. The Half Marathon is two laps of the same course. Sounds good - nice change from the usual road runs.

It does look like it could be a great event - great location, reasonable entry fee, and seems to be a proper charity event.

Would be nice to see a bit more info, but given the nature of the event I won't be too critical!

Think I'll do it anyway.

Yep I was talking to the organiser today, that describes it well, no major hills and all fairness runnable would be my opinion on it. I'm meeting up with him on thur, when I'll do out a mapmyrun route of both courses so yas can see the elevations etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Timmaay wrote: »
    Yep I was talking to the organiser today, that describes it well, no major hills and all fairness runnable would be my opinion on it. I'm meeting up with him on thur, when I'll do out a mapmyrun route of both courses so yas can see the elevations etc!

Hi Timmaay, interested in this.... any luck with the course profile ??

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a mapmyrun profile of the course from last year ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Bill's garmin must be on the blink, he might pick one up in the local sports shop:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Is this going ahead? If so, any map or further info regarding parking, showers etc.

Apologies about the delay, I'm not hugely involved in the actual race itself I'll admit, just doing the timing as a favour. Anyways yep still going ahead definitely, we are having a meeting today about it, and I'll definitely get a course map then, so will post it up later today.

Signed up and looking forward to it. Anyone else? Or any idea what sort of numbers are expected for the half marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just entered this for Saturday. Hope to do it as part of my long run, great cause even if I can't make it down.
    Anybody seen a route for it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Yes anyone seen a route for this please? Looking to see how flat the course is, inclines etc? Thanks.

Nope. At this rate I expect to turn up and find an invisible route. Or maybe a choose-your-own-adventure style route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just spoke with one of the organisers, 2 lap route for the HM, half in Avondale Pk, rest on the surrounding roads, not too hilly by Rathdrum standards :rolleyes:.
    He's trying to get me a copy of the map over and I'll attempt to map it later if that comes through.
    Going to head down and use it as a PMP session myself.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just spoke with one of the organisers, 2 lap route for the HM, half in Avondale Pk, rest on the surrounding roads, not too hilly by Rathdrum standards :rolleyes:.
    He's trying to get me a copy of the map over and I'll attempt to map it later if that comes through.
    Going to head down and use it as a PMP session myself.

Nice one. Going to head up myself. It's a 1.5 hr drive so I'll prob give it a lash

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice one. Going to head up myself. It's a 1.5 hr drive so I'll prob give it a lash

Assuming a reasonable course - what time are you aiming for?

Thanks. Training for London so the hills might be good for me in the long run!

Assuming a reasonable course - what time are you aiming for?

82ish...

Gavlor wrote: »
    82ish...

You'll be up the road from me so, going to head out at MP and maybe finish faster.

You'll be up the road from me so, going to head out at MP and maybe finish faster.

Might catch you beforehand.

Ok, this is the best I can do.
    I've mapped one lap as best I could on MMR (not sure where the finish is) from the image I received.
    Map
    1891358_585128151563475_745316063_o.jpg

Thanks a million bb, thinks abit manic here on my front!

The finish is back inside near the house afaik.

Anyone know of there are shower facilities please?

Just signed up..... Weather looking good for it(fine weather runner:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

Really enjoyable event. nice mix of country roads and forest roads. I can't find the results online tho. Anyone know if/where they are posted?

Advertisement