Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Hospice Team 100 Half Marathon & 10K - Feb 22nd Avondale, (20euros entry)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ran this earlier as part of my LSR. Found it enjoyable but a little disappointed that it measured short by half a mile and the chip timing seemed to have failed. These are fundamentals of a decent race and if I had been targeting this race as a PB attempt I'd be well peeved.

Think it has the makings of a good race. Half road, half forrest trail with some challenging climbs, although none too long and with some nice down hill sections to balance it out. Decent price, good cause and well run apart from the obvious mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

sideswipe wrote: »
    Ran this earlier as part of my LSR. Found it enjoyable but a little disappointed that it measured short by half a mile and the chip timing seemed to have failed. These are fundamentals of a decent race and if I had been targeting this race as a PB attempt I'd be well peeved.

Think it has the makings of a good race. Half road, half forrest trail with some challenging climbs, although none too long and with some nice down hill sections to balance it out. Decent price, good cause and well run apart from the obvious mistakes.

Was this the 10k or the 1/2 that was short? Had the 10k at about 9.65 but given the fact that the gps is in and out of tree coverage its hard to know how accurate this is. Thought the course was tough enough over all, def not one for a pb

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Ah feck you sideswipe....:confused: I don't use GPS as I run by heart Rate. I had intended to just run 5 mls hard intending to give PB a lash next wk in Bohermeen. The course was so enjoyable and the weather so good that I went for it today and got a PB of about a min. :)

I was wondering where the results were also.... as I don't see them on Precision timing.

Anyway...enjoyed the day.... and it is great value and a great cause

redved wrote: »
    Was this the 10k or the 1/2 that was short? Had the 10k at about 9.65 but given the fact that the gps is in and out of tree coverage its hard to know how accurate this is. Thought the course was tough enough over all, def not one for a pb

Was the half that I measured short. Spoke to a good few others afterwards who also had it short. Fair point about tree cover, but I had the mile markers well off from mile 1 onwards.

+1 on not being a PB course!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ah feck you sideswipe....:confused: I don't use GPS as I run by heart Rate. I had intended to just run 5 mls hard intending to give PB a lash next wk in Bohermeen. The course was so enjoyable and the weather so good that I went for it today and got a PB of about a min. :)

I was wondering where the results were also.... as I don't see them on Precision timing.

yep, definitely short by .4 mile approx.

Nice challenging course but the stewarding was a bit of a mess for the second half. They seemed distracted by the 10k finishers!

It could be a great event, unique in the layout.

Oh yeah, what a spread afterwards!

• Advertisement

:P Sorry

Not sure about the results- nothing on Precision Timings site. There was no starting mat and they had people taking down numbers at the finish. Might take a while to get them up, hope I'm wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Enjoyed this today,nice atmosphere and nice route,good set up,well done to the organisers and all for a good cause.

Done the HM and garmin saying 20.3km but thought maybe as going through trees this might have been the reason came up shorter.

Anyone know if results will be posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jfraz

Hello,
    I ran this race too. Each time we came into the carpark, where we started, I ran straight up that hill again, straight to the top. Later I noticed runners taking a left off that hill and running through the finish area towards the trail loop. did you guys who measured it short run up the hill each time or did you head through the finish area?

thanks.

jfraz wrote: »
    Hello,
    I ran this race too. Each time we came into the carpark, where we started, I ran straight up that hill again, straight to the top. Later I noticed runners taking a left off that hill and running through the finish area towards the trail loop. did you guys who measured it short run up the hill each time or did you head through the finish area?

thanks.

The first time back through the car park was straight up the hill. The second loop swung left back through the finish area. If you went up the hill twice you went of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok results up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An2ctL4xVoPrdHRfN0NOc0hTWVplZUgxaXJUcGZXNkE&usp=sharing

Apologies about the delay, on the day registration difficulties did admittedly create problems for all of us, a far greater number of people showed up on the day than was expected. All lessons to be learnt for next year. In terms of timing, It was a gun start only, with two start locations, and with a reasonably wide starts for both races, the difference between a chip start and gun start should be very minimal for all competitors. Full handtime backup was recorded also.

In terms of the course, its a nice location but I personally would think that running both races on the same loop is probably not a runner in the future, certainly not with the numbers that we had yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

sideswipe wrote: »
    The first time back through the car park was straight up the hill. The second loop swung left back through the finish area. If you went up the hill twice you went of course.

I wondered about that too.... I actually stopped to ask the steward who was there if he was sure that the half-mar runners were to turn left the second time around and he said yes.

Thanks for the results Timmaay and am inclined to agree with you about having both 10k & halfmarathon on same course.... but only because both courses were a series of loops and both courses were overlapping each other also.
    Normally, its not an issue to run both together if the half is one long circuit of 13.1 mls. & the 10k course is then measured back from the joint finish line to find where the 10k is to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Lots of trail options in Avondale. Seems a shame to have to use the roads for the 10K. If its trailly and hilly people aren't really expecting fast times.

Lots of junctions though, which require marshalling, so I suppose the trail/road route is a happy compromise.

Advertisement