Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.....the Amphibian who likes to stay out of the water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

How many kids do you want to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tunney's version of a romantic question ;) :
    tunney wrote: »

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tunney's version of a romantic question ;) :

I bought a motorbike this week. So I can sell it in a fortnight and buy Glenda something. What I've learnt here is chicks dig gestures like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What would be your death row meal?
    Name 5 people you'd like to have dinner with.
    Who on here would you LOVE to beat in a sprint finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I bought a motorbike this week. So I can sell it in a fortnight and buy Glenda something. What I've learnt here is chicks dig gestures like that.

You could sell a bike. You dont use them anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

APOLOGIES FOR THIS TEMPORARY BREAKDOWN

NORMAL SERVICE WILL RESUME SHORTLY

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thank god I had my bike helmet on!!! ;)

Okay, Mr. Romantic....
    Have you ever forgotten your wife's birthday or your anniversary?

Absolutely not, that's what smartphones are for!!
    What sorts of things do you "surprise" your wife with on Valentine's Day?

It's the little things that are appreciated. Arranging a babysitter so we can go out, making a point of taking over the kitchen for the evening, candles, wine and a fire. Neither of us are big into material stuff but new earrings go down well.
    How did you propose to your wife?

Asked her to help decorate the Christmas tree she found I'd started with a small parcel, opened it and I asked how she felt about training with me for the rest of her life? :)
    How certain were you that she would say "yes" when you sold your motorcycle for the ring? And did you check to see if you could return the ring and buy back the bike "just in case"?

How could she say 'no' ? Checking out things like that are a sign of an unconfident man and just for the record it wasn't a pawn shop where I traded the bike for a swapsie :D

You are 182 pounds. ;)

That an approving wink? ;);)
    Okay, so you might not need to advertise to find yourself another mate, but I'm sure there are plenty on here who might benefit from your clever yet gentle writing skills to find theirs. Therefore, AKW, would you please humor us by choosing a boardsie and writing a short SWM sort of ad on their behalf?

Oh dear! ^ This I will have to return to.

catweazle wrote: »
    Jaysus - you are getting it tough - some difficult questions for you to say the least! At least the Heavy Metal background explains that rock star hair you go for!

That Dory one is feisty!! They're telling questions she sets :D
    Favourite Movie?

One of the best movies I've seen in years is 'Las Vegas' but I think there'd be a toss up between 'Donnie Brasco', 'City by the Sea' and 'Serpico' for movies I'd watch again and again and still be surprised by some little detail each time.

Favourite - 'Serpico'
    Favourite Movie Character?

I always thought I was a Starsky type guy and liked that type of character, but then they made the movie and used Ben Stiller, I can't pick that.

I have to say Movie Character - Riddick, hard as nails, no messing around with him.
    Have you considered getting into high end cycling gear - is there anywhere west of the Shannon where one can pick up Castelli/Assos?

Not a chance.

We got really good quality stuff in from 2XU and you may as well be idle, all you end up doing is having to justify the price of good gear. The amount of people who appreciate the quality of that level of gear are thin on the ground and a lot of those (out West) are habitual online buyers anyway so you can't compete. (You'd end up being a 'try it on for size' shop too)
    Favourite Sportstars - Name three?

Ray Clemence, Kenny Daglish, Pat Jennings
    You mentioned Triathlon as your main sport - I was surprised by this as I would have thought running was where your heart is at - discuss!

My cousin was a 400m runner in the Commonwealth games so growing up we always did summer camps with them in the North. I was never much of a runner and preferred decathlon back then (oh stick Daley Thompson up above) as I could throw further and balance out the running stuff.

Triathlon is an extension of that I suppose. I did the usual field games stuff and played in goals for the local and freshers team in UCD for a while. Giving up football in my mid 30's I turned back to tri.

I do enjoy running though and have definitely tuned in more to how a good run makes me feel over the past few years.
    Would Peader ever consider triathlons - I remember doing a Tri Lakes duathlon a few years back and was wondering who the young lad was that was trouncing Ruadhri and Mairtin on the run, although they nailed him on the bike

Possibly later on. He's still not even 20 and is a fantastic runner so there's plenty of time for him yet. He is busy with UL running there and competing nationally too. His brother Diarmuid is a handy triathlete and a pretty good runner in his own right too.
    Do you think there is an opportunity for a Challenge or Ironman race in Galway/Ireland - Do they need to look at a more reliable swim area than Salthill

Not anymore, no. The timing for this was to step right in after IM pulled out / whatever happened there. The route was set up and the objections were dealt with, there was momentum that could have been continued.

E&R should have and could have rebranded, solo branded and gone ahead in a 3rd year. They didn't and the opportunity is gone.

I would see the Shadowman developing for another year or two and expect that the exit strategy for it or even Lough Cultra is to be bought out by Challenge or IM. A clever event organiser would be angling that way.

Thanks CW.

We're just getting to the stage where one of ours stays in her own bed at night and the other is contemplating about giving up nappies, he's a lazy sod and wants one on at night.

While we both would love more kids, the thoughts of winding back 5 years and doing it again brings you back to earth quick enough.

Anyone want to buy a 7 seater? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Keep if for a while, at least then you'll know what its like to go fast on something with two wheels;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

AKW wrote: »
    I would see the Shadowman developing for another year or two and expect that the exit strategy for it or even Lough Cultra is to be bought out by Challenge or IM. A clever event organiser would be angling that way.

I would agree with you there, I had heard from a reliable source that Challenge were looking at The Hardman a year or two ago but nothing seems to have materialized there.

Keep if for a while, at least then you'll know what its like to go fast on something with two wheels;)

thought you'd left the building, thought you were mostly on a different board now

You do know my IM pace is faster than your sprint distance pace (even now?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Don't go dragging this down lads. Play nice....

thought you'd left the building, thought you were mostly on a different board now

*sigh*

MOD you two play nice now,

HA! Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Question for AKW,

Who do you believe would win a hot dog eating contest between Tunney & Elvis?

Q for AKW.

What time should I call round to the shop at on Saturday?

If you were a betting man (are you a betting man?) what shoes would you bet on me buying, considering you know the kind I thing I usually buy?

:D

BTH wrote: »
    *sigh*

MOD you two play nice now,

Slags about my pace and speed are welcome from most. However in specific cases slags about my pace are like getting the colour I have painted my house ridiculed by a homeless person who sleeps in the Phoenix Park in a Tayto box.

Different year.........same Tunney:D

Yes you're faster than me.......but i can get faster, you'll always be ugly;)

Anyway hope training is going well !

Different year.........same Tunney:D

Yes you're faster than me.......but i can get faster, you'll always be ugly;)

Anyway hope training is going well !

Yes you can get faster, as the expression goes "well things can't get any worse eh? Onwards and upwards".

• Advertisement

Question for AKW,

Who do you believe would win a hot dog eating contest between Tunney & Elvis?

Tunney, i don't like hot dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Can we get back to the hearts and flowers, please??
    AKW wrote: »
    It's the little things that are appreciated. Arranging a babysitter so we can go out, making a point of taking over the kitchen for the evening, candles, wine and a fire. Neither of us are big into material stuff but new earrings go down well.

Asked her to help decorate the Christmas tree she found I'd started with a small parcel, opened it and I asked how she felt about training with me for the rest of her life? :)

How could she say 'no' ? Checking out things like that are a sign of an unconfident man and just for the record it wasn't a pawn shop where I traded the bike for a swapsie :D

That an approving wink? ;);)

<sigh> Yes, AKW, that was an approving wink. That Mrs. AKW is one lucky gal. (note to self: keep bike helmet on when reading AWK's posts) ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    What would be your death row meal?

What am I in for?
    High protein, low carb. I wouldn't want to spoil my diet! ;)
    Probably Mrs. AKW's chicken, broccoli bake.
    Name 5 people you'd like to have dinner with.

My grandad - I was too young to know he was sick and I'd love to be able to say goodbye properly.
    Sherlock Holmes ( I know he's a character ) but his methods always intrigue me.
    Claus Mattheck - a very clever man who through reading, helped me understand the principles of mechanics looking from a nature point of view. He expressed very complex structures in an easily comprehended manner. Google Pauli the Bear.
    Chris McDougall - could be a very interesting conversation about the developments in minimalism and barefooting.
    Growing up I kinda always wondered what goes on in Stephen King's head. I'd probably pick him as number 5.
    Who on here would you LOVE to beat in a sprint finish?

I need a real nemesis to step up for that one.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Don't go dragging this down lads. Play nice....

I step out of the 'building' for a while and all hell breaks lose!!

What are we paying you mods for anyway?

BTH wrote: »
    Q for AKW.

What time should I call round to the shop at on Saturday?

How about nice and early say 8am? Join the group for a run!

It looks like I won't be here on Saturday due to a personal matter. But we have a very capable red-haired lady stepping in to make you feel at home :)
    If you were a betting man (are you a betting man?) what shoes would you bet on me buying, considering you know the kind I thing I usually buy?

Nope, risk taker and impulsive but not a gambling man in the sense of 'chance' where I am not capable of affecting the outcome.

It's been so long, I had to look up your account :p I have an inkling you will be considering the PureFlow or PureDrift though I expect you will be hanging on for the Type A6 out in a while for racing.

Regardless you will be driving a hard bargain! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who drives a harder bargain over a pair of shoes, RacoonQueen or Tunney?
    RQ is easy to get to, tease with nice colours and a decent price. All it takes is a Tweet

Tunney is very scientific in his approach but now leaves me to make decisions based on feedback.

Both are a pleasure to deal with though.

I know how to work him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

How many pairs of running shoes do you have, how many do you use on a regular basis and how many do you actually need?

kchsligo wrote: »
    How many pairs of running shoes do you have, how many do you use on a regular basis and how many do you actually need?

Back to the old question of 'want' over 'need' :)

Below are shoes that are on my training equipment list for the past season into this season.

Mizuno Inspire 10 (46)Road Shoe
    Mizuno Inspire 7 (46.5)Road Shoe
    Mizuno Inspire 8 (46.5)Road Shoe
    Saucony Peregrine (Trail)Trail Shoe
    iNOV-8 Road X 255Road Shoe
    Saucony Triumph 9 (46.5)Road Shoe
    ASICS Noosa 7Race shoe
    Mizuno Inspire 8 (46)Road Shoe
    Mizuno Elixir (46)Race shoe
    Mizuno Ronin 3 (46)Race shoe
    iNOV-8 Roclite 295Trail Shoe
    Mizuno Inspire 9 (46) - BlueRoad Shoe
    Brooks Pure Grit (46)Trail Shoe
    Mizuno Ascend 7 (46)Trail Shoe
    Saucony Fastwitch 6 (47)Race shoe
    Brooks Pure Cadence(46)Road Shoe
    Mizuno Sayonara (46)Road Shoe
    Mizuno Inspire 9 (46) - RedRoad Shoe
    Saucony Guide 7 (46)Road Shoe
    Adidas Boost (46.5)Road Shoe
    /TABLE]

Quite a few of the older Inspire, Inov8 and Saucony Peregrine are being rotated out of use. I just don't have time to wear them all!!

Outside of that I probably have 5 or 6 pairs of 'shop shoes' that I can wear for work.

Currently in active use are

Mizuno Inspire 9 & 10
    Saucony Guide 7
    Mizuno Ascend
    Brooks Pure Grit

In a few weeks I'll be using the Brooks PureCadence more as speed starts to increase and then into the Saucony Fastwitch and a pair of Mizuno Precision (replacing the Elixir) as pairs of racing shoes.

In terms of 'need' the Mizuno Inspire pretty much takes care of everything for me. I'm fortunate in that bar the Inspire (I buy what I need) most of the others are given to me by the brands to test and try out so I can inform customers of the good and bad in each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

^^Thats almost as big as RQs collection^^
    Mine consists of a pair of T7s and 2xST5 with one of those for retirement. I will have a launch and a pureflow in nice jazzy colours please:)

• Advertisement

^^Thats almost as big as RQs collection^^
    Mine consists of a pair of T7s and 2xST5 with one of those for retirement. I will have a launch and a pureflow in nice jazzy colours please:)

Have that info for you today too.

Advertisement