Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have a dual CPU setup?

• 14-01-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    A mate is looking to build a machine, primarily for "Photoshop, Zbrush, Maya, Adobe Illustrator", and thus I've been looking at various zbrush builds, etc, with Google and a few have mentioned dual CPU builds.

I'm wondering if a dual CPU setup is the norm for the Digitial Art folk here? Currently, his render times with Maya around the 18-20 hour mark (no idea what his current setup is, I don't think he even knows). He's hoping to use Maya more with the new build, though.

Also, what size SSD are you using/is needed? A 120GB SSD, a 250GB SSD, or a 500GB SSD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No bites yet? Awwww :/

Anyhoo's, I think he's leaning towards the Quadro 2000 over the usual consumer cards, due to the processing power of the Quardo 2000 in the following video;

I'm pretty sure CAD & Maya doesn't support/use SLI, so it'd probably be a one card setup.

I'm unsure if CAD & Maya would use the CPU or GPU more? Would getting a 6 core i7-3930K and a cheaper "consumer" graphics card be of more benefit than a 4 core i7-4771 and a Quadro 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Might depend on you are working. Sometimes it handlier to have two machines if one is tied up rendering.

If thats not an issue then you have to look at the specific tasks, and plugins you are using and if they are mutlithreaded at all. You'd best look at benchmarks on the Maya and such forums.

Advertisement