Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agreeing on a Roster

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My gf has a little issue in work. She's in a job that she started a job a month
    ago.

Basically, she's working in a job that was a full time job now split into 2 seperate jobs. So there's herself and another woman who's just started (they were both hired around the same time but the other woman just started this week).

They are both working 4 days a week (28 hours) with one day overlapping with each other.
    They have been told to sort out their days between each other.

My GF wants the exact same days off every week so she can look for another part time job.

The other woman wants a have the days off rotate in a "5 days on 4 days off" type rotation which will result in different days off every week. (She has kids and a small home business)

The manager said originally she wants to stay out of it for them to sort out but I can't see a good way of them sorting this out. So they'll probably have to go back to her to sort it out.

Any good idea's of how to approach such a situation or come to a resolution or a compromise.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I presume they need to have at least one in the office every day and the overlap day for handover of work?

It seems like the other woman is more flexible in her dates as she can run her home business on her varying off days, so why can't she run it on the fixed days off? Also, with kids, would it not be better to know which days every week are free? I'd be suggesting to stick to the 4-3 arrangement.

Also, not to mention that the payroll will get messy when you're doing more than 28 hours one week and less the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What will happen when the other woman is off work 'cos her kids get sick? If your gf is expected to provide cover (and I'd guess she will be), then it could be difficult explaining to the other job why she can't come in.

Really, this should have been sorted out by the manager and put in their contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Really, this should have been sorted out by the manager and put in their contracts.

Indeed. This could get real messy, real quick. If I had to rely on someone else to do my job when I wasn't around I'd want the process described and in writing.

The cover issue is an interesting one. Will they require someone to cover when one person is on leave, effectively doing the job 9-5 every day of the week?

It sounds like they want someone in the job every day and how that's worked out is down to you. That's a recipe for disaster. Resentment will breed when one person is off sick, on leave, etc. or if one person is not pulling their weight and leaving the other to pick up the slack. I'm not saying this will happen but I'd like to know how to prevent it happening and that's what manager's are paid to do.

Advertisement