Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a GPS cat tracker?

• 14-01-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a good GPS cat tracker?

Small and light is obvious preference. Would one of these Tiles serve the purpose or is the range too limited? (also they appear to be sold out)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good GPS cat tracker?

Small and light is obvious preference. Would one of these Tiles serve the purpose or is the range too limited? (also they appear to be sold out)

OP, Thats the best GPS tracker I seen.

I spent a good few months lookling them up to try and get one for my dog, best i came up with is:

http://www.pettracker.com/

And even at that theres no point in getting that one, as it was only to try and stop him from getting stolen etc.

I think i may invest in one of them myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I found this one as well (http://www.firebox.com/product/6327/G-Paws-Pet-GPS-Tracker)

Only problem with these ones are the limited 8 hour battery, so you'd have to make sure your cat came in within the 8 hour period.

The tile battery seems to last a full year though. The only problem is the 30m range. It's not a GPS tracker, but rather a Bluetooth tracker but it uses other people's phones (or Tiles?) to expand the range (see here)

All the other GPS devices I've seen are far too large and heavy for a cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Just keep this in mind for the Tiles
    What is the range of Tile?
    The range from your phone is 50 - 150ft depending on the environment. However, if any other Tile user's phone is within 50 - 150ft of your Tile, you will receive an update with the location of your Tile. When this happens, you will see a pin on the map view for your Tile. This essentially makes the range limitless once there are enough Tile users in your area.

aye, I'd say take-up of Tiles would be fairly small in Eire, probably more useful in US cities.

The G-Paws looks like the best option so far, despite the 8 hour battery life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Take a look at the Loc8tor site, that might be worth a try.

• Advertisement

Cheers, though it seems you need to sign up to a monthly package to get the GPS functionality so would work out v expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Sorry to dig up an old thread but did anyone have any luck with a cat tracker?

I had a scare with my precious boy last night, he chased a feral tom cat off our property and followed him, didn't come back for 8 hours. First time that's ever happened and I want to make sure the last.

I've looked up several cat trackers, and they're either too heavy, or require a subscription. I see some that take a sim card, and you text the sim to get the a text-reply with the GPS co-ordinates but at least one of those doesn't seem to work in Ireland.

So what are my options? I'm surprised they aren't getting a lot smaller by now with technology advancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

R0C wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but did anyone have any luck with a cat tracker?

I had a scare with my precious boy last night, he chased a feral tom cat off our property and followed him, didn't come back for 8 hours. First time that's ever happened and I want to make sure the last.

I've looked up several cat trackers, and they're either too heavy, or require a subscription. I see some that take a sim card, and you text the sim to get the a text-reply with the GPS co-ordinates but at least one of those doesn't seem to work in Ireland.

So what are my options? I'm surprised they aren't getting a lot smaller by now with technology advancing.

Am keeping an eye on release of www.retrievor.com
    Might be another option,everthing Ive looked at so far has is either buggy or not suitable for a cat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Does the Tile actually exist? I've seen 'pre-order' ads for it for about a year now, and haven't heard of anyone talking about using it.

The G-Paws 'cat nav' https://www.g-paws.com tracks your cat on his daily prowl, and you then download the route into your computer. Do this a good few times and you have an idea of your cat's daily routine, and since cats almost always take the same route, if he gets lost you have a good idea of where to ask and leaflet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2299948/The-secret-life-pet-revealed-Owner-develops-cat-nav-device-tracks-wandering-felines-progress-mapping-Google.html - piece about the Welsh developer and how it works. I haven't seen any reports of miracles with it, but it's worth looking at.

This is another one http://www.trackmycat.com - not sure, but I think it might involve a monthly fee.

There's a bunch of others - just google 'cat tracker'.

Advertisement