Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public in CUMH - Scans

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I am attending CUMH as a public patient and have my 20 week visit next week. I was told by the sonographer at my 12 week scan that I wouldn’t be getting any further scans unless there was a problem, but then the midwife said I might get a mini scan at future visits and it depended who I saw on the day.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experience with being a public patient in CUMH and if they can tell me what the story is regarding scans. I presume an anomaly scan is totally out of the question? I would like to book an anomaly scan privately if CUMH don’t do them and would want to get my skates on as I will be 21 weeks by the time I have my 20 week app.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is it first baby?

I am public in CUMH, and had a very quick scan at 20 weeks, and another at 32. When I say quick now, I mean 30 seconds. Took longer to wipe the gel off than anything.

Anomaly scan won't be done at all unless you are high risk or on some other program (like the SCOPE study or some other UCC study).

You don't get extra scans unless there is a problem, but if you are worried about anything at all, I'd say don't hesitate to go in and ask for one in the emergency room in there. Bleeding, baby not moving enough, a fall, anything at all. The scanners are there and available, I think they try to keep any non-essential scans short so you aren't the whole day hanging around a hospital for checkups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Yeah I was very disappointed with the 30 second scan at 21 weeks - especially as my GP had told me it'd take ages to do the Anomaly one so I'd gone in expecting it!

Going for 3d scan this weekend though to ensure that it is a pink bump we're having and to see a bit more of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 R.P.McMurphy

What's this now? No anomaly scan at 20 weeks?? I thought that's the most important scan of all and every hospital does them as standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

If you're considered low risk, you don't get one in CUMH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What's this now? No anomaly scan at 20 weeks?? I thought that's the most important scan of all and every hospital does them as standard?

Anatomy scans are not standard in most hospitals if they don't think there is a reason to do them. They cite budget restrictions but are able to do a scan at week 32 in most of those hospitals. Should be changed and anatomy scan should be the only scan that's offered if budgets are that restricted.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Anatomy scans are not standard in most hospitals if they don't think there is a reason to do them. They cite budget restrictions but are able to do a scan at week 32 in most of those hospitals. Should be changed and anatomy scan should be the only scan that's offered if budgets are that restricted.

It's a different scanner though isn't it? A different machine in a different part of the hospital in CUMH anyway.

And they only have one or two of those fancy pants scanners for the anomolies, where they have loads of the old fashioned ones they use day to day.

Also, I don't think everyone is trained to use them.

The 32 week one is for detecting things which may affect the birth such as placenta previa I think, so it would still be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the clarification folks, it’s pretty much as I thought, but at least I won’t have my expectations high and be disappointed. It does seem madness that an anomaly scan is not standard procedure, seems unfair that they are not available to people who don’t have the means to pay for one privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

pwurple wrote: »
    It's a different scanner though isn't it? A different machine in a different part of the hospital in CUMH anyway.

And they only have one or two of those fancy pants scanners for the anomolies, where they have loads of the old fashioned ones they use day to day.

Also, I don't think everyone is trained to use them.

The 32 week one is for detecting things which may affect the birth such as placenta previa I think, so it would still be required.

I know in the Coombe and the Rotunda anyway, they both have high tech scanners in consultants rooms for quick scans and they look the exact same as the ones used in the ultrasound department.

Obviously other hospitals wouldn't have the same but I still think the anatomy scan is a very important part of antenatal care and should be offered to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

No anomoly scan offered to me either when I was attending castlebar general, I wasn't high risk, got mini scans at appointments and only when I managed to see my consultant, the luck of the draw on the day, scans are only offered if you present with a problem and at 32 weeks to check if you are able to continue with a normal delivery, I had a private 3d scan done and it was as good as an anomoly scan, the scanner pointed out all the important bits and said all looked well, she said if she noticed anything abnormal she would give a letter and send you to the hospital with the concerns, if you have the means to pay for one then it is the only option im afraid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In Holles St they have small mobile ones in the consultants rooms and a large one in the foetal assessment unit.
    It is crazy that hospitals have stopped doing proper scans.

• Advertisement

Rose35 wrote: »
    No anomoly scan offered to me either when I was attending castlebar general, I wasn't high risk, got mini scans at appointments and only when I managed to see my consultant, the luck of the draw on the day, scans are only offered if you present with a problem and at 32 weeks to check if you are able to continue with a normal delivery, I had a private 3d scan done and it was as good as an anomoly scan, the scanner pointed out all the important bits and said all looked well, she said if she noticed anything abnormal she would give a letter and send you to the hospital with the concerns, if you have the means to pay for one then it is the only option im afraid.
    I was thinking of paying for a private scan, either anamoly or 3D. I would love the 3D scan just for the kick of seeing the babies face, but was worried it would be less useful than the anamoly scan. Is it detailed enough that if there is something amiss, they will see it and refer you? If that was the case, I would go with the 3D scan.

I went for a mini private scan in cork, it was 90 euro, advertised before christmas on special offer as mini-3D / gender scan. It took about 15 mins, they did a quick anomaly check (looked at heart function, checked for anencephaly, cleft lip, verified both kidneys were there, checked for stomach and bladder filling, verified all limbs were there). They also did a gender check and took a pic of the face. I think a longer scan is needed for edwards syndrome, hole in the heart and some other things. They are all so rare though, and we have no family history of them, so we were happy enough with the mini 3D.

For the longer 3D ones, I'd say they go into loads of detail on anamoly.

Can I ask where you got your scan done Pwurple? I had an early scan in Babyscan Ballincollig and found them nice, so was thinking of going back there.

ncmc wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got your scan done Pwurple? I had an early scan in Babyscan Ballincollig and found them nice, so was thinking of going back there.

Yes, it was the same place in Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

CUMH do not offer anomaly scans to low risk mothers currently.

I have been told there is a Domino scheme starting (hopefully) this month which is teaming up with the homebirth clinic. both clinics will offer their mothers both the 12 week dating scan and 20 week anomaly scan as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just listening to the Newstalk atm, antenatal scans are going to be discussed this morning on the Pat Kenny show. Or lack thereof!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

ncmc wrote: »
    I was thinking of paying for a private scan, either anamoly or 3D. I would love the 3D scan just for the kick of seeing the babies face, but was worried it would be less useful than the anamoly scan. Is it detailed enough that if there is something amiss, they will see it and refer you? If that was the case, I would go with the 3D scan.

It is detailed enough, the lady that did my scan is a trained midwife and her job is scanning in a dublin hospital, her 3d scanning is based in mayo, she did a detailed scan for me even though 3d is supposed to be for entertainment purposes only, she did stress if she saw anything amiss she would put it in writing and advise me to contact hospital, I was about 20 weeks at the time, would highly recommend it if thats what you are thinking of doing.

Scan lasted 50 mins and got a dvd and about 20 photographs (coloured and black and white) features very clear, confirmed gender for me also, i had known before i went in from a hospital scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ParisOld

if you are a first time mother you can take part in the IMPROVED research study in the CUMH. the midwives who are based in the research department on the 5th floor are really attentive.
    you get a really good growth scan at 20 weeks! look up IMPROVED UCC

Advertisement