Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you Wheelie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

folbotcar wrote: »
    The 250 disappeared into the distance while I wondered why I wasn't accelerating

So you still didn't beat him? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

batman_oh wrote: »
    Once you get over the initial fear of it you probably won't stop.

You're probably like me so, I'm a whore for wheelies.. I often joke that I've 'Good Devil ~ Bad Devil' on my shoulders.. I'm at the lights and a bike pulls in along side me and I'm sizing him up, is he a biker or a commuter (will he appreciate the wheelie or not).. Move off telling myself not to bother, then shift the bum back a bit, close the throttle ~ snap the bitch back and I'm dancing :)

With practice I'm starting to try standing wheelies, they're very scary (I won't lie) but the lads tell me once I master them they're easier to hit the balance point than seated wheelies.. Covering the back brake standing is hard and I've no way of putting a rear brake on my bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You're probably like me so, I'm a whore for wheelies.. I often joke that I've 'Good Devil ~ Bad Devil' on my shoulders.. I'm at the lights and a bike pulls in along side me and I'm sizing him up, is he a biker or a commuter (will he appreciate the wheelie or not).. Move off telling myself not to bother, then shift the bum back a bit, close the throttle ~ snap the bitch back and I'm dancing :)

With practice I'm starting to try standing wheelies, they're very scary (I won't lie) but the lads tell me once I master them they're easier to hit the balance point than seated wheelies.. Covering the back brake standing is hard and I've no way of putting a rear brake on my bars.
    yep, when u start standing up u wont want to sit down.
    2nd gear,pop the clutch and start standing as bike is lifting.

blade1 wrote: »
    yep, when u start standing up u wont want to sit down.
    2nd gear,pop the clutch and start standing as bike is lifting.

I've never actually (comfortably) used the clutch to wheelie, I've always used the roll off - roll on method and gassed it up.

My present bike (BMW R1100S) wheelies comfortable enough without the clutch ~ and the few times I've tried the clutch it nearly takes my arms out of their sockets, its a big ol' torque'y boxer.

I've never actually (comfortably) used the clutch to wheelie, I've always used the roll off - roll on method and gassed it up.

My present bike (BMW R1100S) wheelies comfortable enough without the clutch ~ and the few times I've tried the clutch it nearly takes my arms out of their sockets, its a big ol' torque'y boxer.

Not when u get the hang of it.
    I find 2nd the best for popping the clutch,first being a bit severe, meaning easier to flip.

Even as a 7 year old kid i gave all day every day on my bicycle do wheelies, making ramps and jumping over things.
    I think the obsession started when i went to see Eddie Kidd.

I started doing proper long ones on a 918 blade about 12 years.
    I found when you get the hang of them your balance does most of the work.
    Less throttle needed to keep her in the sweet spot:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Mak/blade...Off the road ya nutters :D jk jk

Used to have the front wheel get very light taking off from lights...aggressively I'd call it on the sv650s.

fzs, dumped the clutch at 5k rpm at lights on the n11 one day...jesus wept.

Loved to have been able to do it proper. No reason other than something else to learn on the bike.

Oh well.

kaimera wrote: »
    Mak/blade...Off the road ya nutters :D jk jk

Used to have the front wheel get very light taking off from lights...aggressively I'd call it on the sv650s.

fzs, dumped the clutch at 5k rpm at lights on the n11 one day...jesus wept.

Loved to have been able to do it proper. No reason other than something else to learn on the bike.

Oh well.

At least you're honest about it, a lot of lads spoof about doing wheelies.

Its easy to lift the front off the road, its a whole other matter holding it up and thats why you're best learning with people who can already wheelie and who'll be straight and tell you when you're not getting the wheel high enough.

I started learning wheelies almost 30 years ago on Yamaha DT175's and RD350's and then on a whole clatter of bikes since ~ and I'm not brilliant, but I'm pretty good ~ or so I thought until I started hooking up with some stunters.. Now I want my own stunt bike :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

You have to mess :pac:
    I get the odd really good one (balance point for a bit or shifting gears) but would love to learn the slow controlled stuff. It would take a stunt bike to really get it I think.

batman_oh wrote: »
    You have to mess :pac:
    I get the odd really good one (balance point for a bit or shifting gears) but would love to learn the slow controlled stuff. It would take a stunt bike to really get it I think.

Absolutely a stunt bike is the way to go.. If I'd the money I'd have a CBR6 for stunting, but for wheelies a trails or supermoto is ideal.

Personally I'd love a KTM superDuke for a play thing but I simply don't have the funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Advertisement

I wouldn't use either tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

^^^ wow I wonder do the young whipper snappers appreciate what that even is!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I know the seller, must ask him for a spin on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sheeeeeitttt.... I'd be really tempted for the GSXR. 650 with new chain, sprox and tyres? There must be something wrong with it!

On the way home from work just there, I came to the conclusion, that I cannot wheelie.... probably because I'm being a bitch about it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

Sheeeeeitttt.... I'd be really tempted for the GSXR. 650 with new chain, sprox and tyres? There must be something wrong with it!

On the way home from work just there, I came to the conclusion, that I cannot wheelie.... probably because I'm being a bitch about it :pac:

there is... its a gsxF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

there is... its a gsxF

Ah, what a bollix :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i quite like that teapot actually.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Been practicing the last couple of days gettimg the front wheel up. Used to be able to wheelie a dirt bike but never tried on a road bike. Just been trying power wheelies without using the clutch in first and second. Got it up nice this morning on my way to drop the bike home, not high by any good standards but high enough for me now amd longer than iv gone too! Crash mushrooms will be fitted next week when they come in And there will be no stoppin me! Would love to learn how to do it properly

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What bike are you on and how are you doing it exactly? I'm dying to try it on my new yoke but want to wait until I get used to it a bit more...

• Advertisement

Im on a 04 sv650s. A mate of mine is class at wheelies and showed me a few years ago on his blade, accelerate hard to where you feel it start to lift then quickly ease off and accelerate again and she will fly up

I started doing it the other day in first gear and when I was getting it slow I started doing it faster in second. I know I was getting it up high in first but not sure how high I was getting it in second altho I managed to carry it to the top of the revs

Zascar wrote: »
    What bike are you on and how are you doing it exactly? I'm dying to try it on my new yoke but want to wait until I get used to it a bit more...

Btw I'm working tomorrow, but the next available Sunday I'll give you a shout.

Short, short version ~ power wheelie...

In first (or second) roll the bike on as normal, at the pint at which you'd normally change up a gear close off the throttle and snap it open again... Make sure you cover the back brake as this will bring you back down if you go too high.. But on your first few attempts 6 inches off the ground and you'll sh*t yourself!.

After that its practice, feeling the proper speed to wheelie, position in the saddle etc.

We will hook up and I absolutely guarantee you'll be power wheeling with in 30 minutes.

A word of caution, you've a beautiful new bike ~ I'd try keep it that way!.

Id love to get out with yas too and get some pointers if thats ok?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

We will hook up and I absolutely guarantee you'll be power wheeling with in 30 minutes.

A word of caution, you've a beautiful new bike ~ I'd try keep it that way!.
    Deadly, I'd love to. However yes that is a big worry. I wont be doing anything silly - but are you generally grand if you take it easy? Id worry about drifting off to one side and coming down with a wobble. Splat. Ideally I'd do it on a wreck bike to practice but I don't have that luxury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Come off it once and you will have the luxury of a wrecked bike though! makes sense:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

There is an associated walk of shame when the manoever is not a success, onlookers wishing you well etc etc "are you all right bud?, do you need an ambulance?, Do you need a recovery vehicle? How are you gettin home? what were tryin to do? you made a bollíx of that lad!
    In the vast majority of wheelie failures the bike is grand afterwards as can be seen here

Also besides the risk of damage a couple of other things.
    As they are very addictive,the better you get the harder it is to resist the urge to do them.
    So you'll be eating your back tyre off.
    I used to be a right whore for them so I was only getting less than 800 miles out my back tyres.

Also my 918 blade, over time, the front frairing bracket was gradually bending down.
    So eventually my lights were too low to see anything more than six feet away at night.

Twce I got bad tankslappers, hitting a bump on the road when landing at high speed(one coming into a bend)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

This might get you some pointers

blade1 wrote: »
    Also besides the risk of damage a couple of other things.
    As they are very addictive,the better you get the harder it is to resist the urge to do them.
    So you'll be eating your back tyre off.
    I used to be a right whore for them so I was only getting less than 800 miles out my back tyres.

Also my 918 blade, over time, the front frairing bracket was gradually bending down.
    So eventually my lights were too low to see anything more than six feet away at night.

Twce I got bad tankslappers, hitting a bump on the road when landing at high speed(one coming into a bend)

A few good points to note there, wheelies REALLY ARE ADDICTIVE.

I never really found a difference with rear tyres, but chains and sprockets ~ OH MY GOD!! you're talking about weeks!.

I never damaged fairings or seals but tank slappers can/do & will happen but I've never had a bad one.

Zas hopefully we'll hook up next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dying to try a wheelie on my rocket, it's on my to do list for the summer !! :D

Advertisement