Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you Wheelie?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

There is an associated walk of shame when the manoever is not a success, onlookers wishing you well etc etc "are you all right bud?, do you need an ambulance?, Do you need a recovery vehicle? How are you gettin home? what were tryin to do? you made a bollíx of that lad!
    In the vast majority of wheelie failures the bike is grand afterwards as can be seen here

4th accident in,yer woman loses her ass and her hairpiece too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KTRIC wrote: »
    Dying to try a wheelie on my rocket, it's on my to do list for the summer !! :D

I did reading a review of the rocket and the clutch went when they tried a wheelie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Cienciano wrote: »
    I did reading a review of the rocket and the clutch went when they tried a wheelie.

Can you PM me a link ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can you PM me a link ??

This is what you're aiming for:D

Can you PM me a link ??

No, it was ages ago, probably one of the first generation ones and I read it in the paper copy mag. Back in the celtic tiger years when I actually bought magazines (before I realised they're mostly shíte)
    I'd assume they upgraded the clutch at this stage, I just wanted to worry you so you couldn't enjoy your fancy new bike :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I was riding thru Duleek one day and a little boy, probably about 8 roars at me "Mister, can you pull a wheelie"...

I looked at him, shook my head as if saying "What a wheelie, I am a responsible rider, I don't do stunts on public road", but crying inside because i don't know how to pull a wheelie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    Also besides the risk of damage a couple of other things.
    As they are very addictive,the better you get the harder it is to resist the urge to do them.
    So you'll be eating your back tyre off.
    I used to be a right whore for them so I was only getting less than 800 miles out my back tyres.

Yeah but how much extra did you get out of the front?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Can you Wheelie?

I WHEELIE WHEELIE CANT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Every time i read the title I think of
    A dustman is going along a street picking up the wheelie bins and emptying them into his dustcart lorry. He gets to one house where the bin hasn't been left out so he has a quick look for it, goes round the back but still can't see it so he knocks on the door. There's no answer so he knocks again.

Eventually a Japanese bloke answers..."Harro", says the chappy.
    "Alright mate, where's ya bin?" asks the dustman.

"I bin on toilet" replies the Japanese bloke, looking perplexed.

Realising the Japanese fellow has misunderstood, the binman smiles and says "No mate, where's ya dust bin?"

"I dust bin on toilet I told you" says the Japanese man.

"Mate" says the dustman... "you're misunderstanding me....Where's your wheelie bin?"

"OK, OK", says the Japanese bloke, "I wheelie bin having a ****!"

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Popped my first wheelie today!! And on purpose! this is some crazy stuff, I am telling you :DDD Put a big smile on the face for the rest of the day.

I was driving in the Wicklow and i past a couple of guys on the side of the road looking at me and rising their arms, I just said no to them as i had never done that before, they looked pretty disappointed :(

A hundred meters further i was alone on a long straight road... decided to try it. I did as someone said previously on this thread : second gear, accelerate until you reach that point where the bike is pulling, drop the gas and quickly gas again and off you go! The bike was smoothly rising, it felt like flying :D

The only scaring bit was when i slowed down and put the front back on the road i didn't change gear, still in second gear, accelerated again and it rose again... I didn't expect that lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

PlayerA wrote: »
    Popped my first wheelie today!! And on purpose! this is some crazy stuff, I am telling you :DDD Put a big smile on the face for the rest of the day.

I was driving in the Wicklow and i past a couple of guys on the side of the road looking at me and rising their arms, I just said no to them as i had never done that before, they looked pretty disappointed :(

A hundred meters further i was alone on a long straight road... decided to try it. I did as someone said previously on this thread : second gear, accelerate until you reach that point where the bike is pulling, drop the gas and quickly gas again and off you go! The bike was smoothly rising, it felt like flying :D

The only scaring bit was when i slowed down and put the front back on the road i didn't change gear, still in second gear, accelerated again and it rose again... I didn't expect that lol

What bike? What was your landing like? I can't power wheelie :( Too much ****e on my bike! Can't clutch wheelie either -- yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

rat_race wrote: »
    What bike? What was your landing like? I can't power wheelie :( Too much ****e on my bike! Can't clutch wheelie either -- yet!

CBR Fs 600 from 2001, the landing was alright i just decelerated, didnt use the rear brake or drop the gas at one go, so it went smooth. what bike do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

CBR Fs 600 from 2001, the landing was alright i just decelerated, didnt use the rear brake or drop the gas at one go, so it went smooth. what bike do you have?

Nice one! Have a Tiger 800...with a lot of heavy extras. Haven't really tried much TBH, but from what I've read they're not really gonna do a power wheelie...some say they do, however.

Well fair play :) Don't do too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

some stupid c*** did a wheelie at the start of a race in Mondello today lost control and veered to the right and caused a pileup that left three other riders in hospital. Hopefully the c*** will be banned from racing in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

some stupid c*** did a wheelie at the start of a race in Mondello today lost control and veered to the right and caused a pileup that left three other riders in hospital. Hopefully the c*** will be banned from racing in future.

are you for real ? Any wheely off the start line is not deliberately done , it's probably the most dangerous part of a race , accidents can happen . Bad form calling the rider a stupid c### , cop on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Rider lost control that culminated in a wheelie, you try to keep the wheel down when accelerating hard off the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bunny hops like that can be fun.

I was stopped by a young lad on Parkgate St last week and asked for directions to McKee Barracks, he was riding an little YZF 125 ~ I had to do the childish thing and wheelie up the NCR for the lad :D

(are you on the forum lad, did you pass your fitness test??).

You know now that wheelies are addictive and you'll look for any excuse to throw her up on the back wheel?.

**Zascar I will be in touch, I haven't been out on a Sunday in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

My fear of wheelies are not about putting the front back down, but about the wheelie itself just getting out of hand, as in once the front is off and weight shifts to the rear, and with the engine pushing the bike forward, what is there to stop you from falling backward on your arse followed by the bike landing on top of you crushing your family jewels?! How are you supposed to wheelie and operate the rear brake if you had to, I mean front brake is no good with the wheel off the floor... mind boggles!

I am sure it's all perfectly doable as so many of you can do it and enjoy it - I am just saying that's how the fear works in my head.

positron wrote: »
    My fear of wheelies are not about putting the front back down, but about the wheelie itself just getting out of hand, as in once the front is off and weight shifts to the rear, and with the engine pushing the bike forward, what is there to stop you from falling backward on your arse followed by the bike landing on top of you crushing your family jewels?! How are you supposed to wheelie and operate the rear brake if you had to, I mean front brake is no good with the wheel off the floor... mind boggles!

I am sure it's all perfectly doable as so many of you can do it and enjoy it - I am just saying that's how the fear works in my head.

Well right from the start you should always cover the rear brake as this is what brings the front wheel back down if you over cook it.

You'll see stunt have have their rear brakes on a lever beside their clutch lever for easier use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Drove by a group of young lads yesterday on the canal road who were all jumping their bikes and started shouting at me to do a wheelie, loads of people walking at the time so I didnt try it and drove off to them roarin abuse at me....

Came back the same way about an hour later and popped it up in first then tore off up the road like a boss!! Haha. Haven't tried them in a couple of weeks and to be fair it was not my best attempt but it gave my ego a bit of a boost for a sunday evening!!!

Really dont wanna wreck my bike messing like that tho... might pick up a cheapo scrambler r somethimg for messing about like that

• Advertisement

On the point of covering the back brake, it might help people to understand is the think of a wheelie like this.

Think of the wheelie as the back wheel trying to overtake the front wheel, to do it it must push the front out of its way, and this is what happens when the weight shifts towards the rear and you give the rear wheel lots of welly :mad:

So cover that rear brake because if you over cook it closing the throttle and applying some rear brake is the only thing going to bring the front back down.

The simplest step to trying your first wheelie is to travel in first or second gear, and the point at which the bike wants to change gear suddenly close off the throttle and snap it open again and your bike will come up.

I never clutch a bike up so I can't add that one in, I know the principle behind it but I don't do them.

On the point of covering the back brake, it might help people to understand is the think of a wheelie like this.

Think of the wheelie as the back wheel trying to overtake the front wheel, to do it it must push the front out of its way, and this is what happens when the weight shifts towards the rear and you give the rear wheel lots of welly :mad:

So cover that rear brake because if you over cook it closing the throttle and applying some rear brake is the only thing going to bring the front back down.

The simplest step to trying your first wheelie is to travel in first or second gear, and the point at which the bike wants to change gear suddenly close off the throttle and snap it open again and your bike will come up.

I never clutch a bike up so I can't add that one in, I know the principle behind it but I don't do them.
    Definitely going to give this a go. The clutch method seems a but scary, this method seems to give you more control.
    What about from a standing stop, like at the lights? Any wheelie I did was from a standing stop, but they were unintentional and just when I completely opened the throttle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

clutch method generally results in a slower speed wheelie, so should be less scary imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Wossack wrote: »
    clutch method generally results in a slower speed wheelie, so should be less scary imo :)

Agreed, much nicer pinging the clutch in 1st or 2nd and bringing the front up gradually (but still relatively quickly) compared to power wheelieing where things happen very fast and, if you can't gear up with the front airbourne, usually results in you doing triple figures by the time you rev out and have to drop the front.

Makikomi, mind if I get in on that Sunday practice at some stage? I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say people learning to wheelie often need someone to tell them, "Well, if was only up a foot or so off the ground." when it can feel like you're about to flip it. :D

KT10 wrote: »
    Agreed, much nicer pinging the clutch in 1st or 2nd and bringing the front up gradually (but still relatively quickly) compared to power wheelieing where things happen very fast and, if you can't gear up with the front airbourne, usually results in you doing triple figures by the time you rev out and have to drop the front.

Makikomi, mind if I get in on that Sunday practice at some stage? I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say people learning to wheelie often need someone to tell them, "Well, if was only up a foot or so off the ground." when it can feel like you're about to flip it. :D

I'll need to get the nod off some people first, shouldn't be a problem.

Someone mentioned standing start wheelies ~ no bloody way!.. Much to easy to flip the bike.

Personally I've always done power wheelies, I've tried clutching bikes up but I didn't like the feel and I'm just caught in the habit of throttle off/on & up she goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wossack wrote: »

Clutch wheelie better for choosing what speed you can wheelie.
    Depending on bike but let's say 1 litre sports bike, I personally can lift the front wheel in 2nd gear at any speed from about 20mph to about 70mph.

I myself would prefer the clutch method but it may not be for everyone.
    I find it gets me to the balance point in an instant.
    Haven't a clue what revs u need to get it to the balance point because I don't look at the rev counter.

The higher the bike the longer you're wheelie should be.
    You might think you are gone to far but you can go to almost vertical no prob.

Might be a stupid thing to say but alway keep your mind on the job.
    I got a bit cocky and wasn't paying attention one day and it cost me a €7000 bike and a year on crutches.

Only good thing about that though was I got a good few sympathy rides out of it..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I love to wheelie, not a spin out unless i'm wheeliein, if thats a real word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I have always wondered what happens to the oil pressure with the engine at an extreme angle like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

REXER wrote: »
    I have always wondered what happens to the oil pressure with the engine at an extreme angle like that?

Some bikes it can cavitate the pump, most modern bikes are ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

some engines are more prone to oil starvation at certain lean angles alright - though prob only an issue for long extended ones

Advertisement