Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you Wheelie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

REXER wrote: »
    I have always wondered what happens to the oil pressure with the engine at an extreme angle like that?
    Wossack wrote: »
    some engines are more prone to oil starvation at certain lean angles alright - though prob only an issue for long extended ones

Doesn't help Honda Firestorm front camchain tensioner issues for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

REXER wrote: »
    I have always wondered what happens to the oil pressure with the engine at an extreme angle like that?

I blew the tits out of a Honda Dominator wheeling it.

When I took off the barrel the piston was just about gone and the con rod was actually bent.

My present bike (a BMW R1100S is a heavy beast and I haven't been able to hold her up very long on a wheelie to test her, but I'd rather avoid that kinda damage again :p ).

This is a good clip on wheelies here.. the cam position gives a real view/feeling of the front up in the air.

He also explains power & clutch wheelies very clearly but he neglects to mention covering the rear brake until almost 10 minutes into the clip.

Worth viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

hooligan bikes them

hooligan bikes them

If I'd the money I'd have one in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭prunudo

This is a good clip on wheelies here.. the cam position gives a real view/feeling of the front up in the air.

He also explains power & clutch wheelies very clearly but he neglects to mention covering the rear brake until almost 10 minutes into the clip.

Worth viewing.

Cheers for sharing, seems like good info, I'll have to find a private road at the weekend to practice :pac:

This is a really good clip.

I haven't been able to get up the last few Sunday's but I'm hoping to get out for a bit this Sunday.

From a location in north Dublin ;)

Brilliant camera work... If you're wondering how it was shot, look for a shadow on the ground ~ you'll be impressed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^^
    One of those amazon delivery drones doin a bit on the side?

^^^^^
    One of those amazon delivery drones doin a bit on the side?

Probably harder to control the remote cam (drone) than the bikes!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Back sprockets the size of dinner plates :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Buncha hooligans, destroying a nice industrial estate :pac:

They must spend thousands on tires a year!!! Class stuff though, would love to give the quadrotor a bash.

Buncha hooligans, destroying a nice industrial estate :pac:

They must spend thousands on tires a year!!! Class stuff though, would love to give the quadrotor a bash.

Second hand, freebie throw aways.. They're only used for stunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Unintentionally did a wheelie on the Moira Road in Lisburn on Saturday evening. Saw a big straight and decided to show my new missus what the bike can do. She's been on it loads before but neither of us were use to it being driven "properly". I'd just hit the end of the break in period so decided to give a power wheelie a shot.

Told her to hold on tight, I flicked the throttle, the bike reared forward in a mad lurch and front end went up, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and she went flying off the back down the road !! :(

I've been driving the Rocket around quite sedately since I got it, rolling on and off the throttle and had no idea it would be this aggressive !! Thankfully she was wearing full race leathers, just ended up with a sore bum and a couple of cuts to her hands with some bruising because her gloves gave way. Frightened the f*ck out of me !!

Dont think she'll let me forget this one in a hurry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

KTRIC wrote: »
    Unintentionally did a wheelie on the Moira Road in Lisburn on Saturday evening. Saw a big straight and decided to show my new missus what the bike can do. She's been on it loads before but neither of us were use to it being driven "properly". I'd just hit the end of the break in period so decided to give a power wheelie a shot.

Told her to hold on tight, I flicked the throttle, the bike reared forward in a mad lurch and front end went up, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and she went flying off the back down the road !! :(

I've been driving the Rocket around quite sedately since I got it, rolling on and off the throttle and had no idea it would be this aggressive !! Thankfully she was wearing full race leathers, just ended up with a sore bum and a couple of cuts to her hands with some bruising because her gloves gave way. Frightened the f*ck out of me !!

Dont think she'll let me forget this one in a hurry :pac:

Jaysus, just goes to show you how easily something like that can happen! Glad she's not too hurt

BTW, was it you that got clothes lined by the tractor a few years ago?

RosieJoe wrote: »
    BTW, was it you that got clothes lined by the tractor a few years ago?

Nope, it wasn't and you aren't the first person to say that to me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Nope, it wasn't and you aren't the first person to say that to me :confused:

Just found the original post, it was cantdecide!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72047198&postcount=12

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Jeasus Ktric, thats mad! Lucky it was not worse. I had my other half on the back of the bike for the first time there last week. She loved it but I did not. Bike felt horrible, heavy and slow, it was wet so I had to take it easy. I certainly would not be trying any wheelies though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not fond of 2 up myself, had the missus on the back of the FZ6 for about an hour and was not fond of it TBH. Was on the back of a Vstrom with Lookbehindyou going to Carlow to collect a bike for him and I swear I nearly **** myself!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

To be fair ktric it was prob not the best idea in the world to try the first ever wheelie on your new machine with the missus on the back.

Just like you should not carry a pillion until you know you can handle a bike I believe the same logic should have been applied here.

Good to here the misses is alright and hopefully she will get back on the rocket with you ya ****ing hooligan!!

leppla wrote: »
    To be fair ktric it was prob not the best idea in the world to try the first ever wheelie on your new machine with the missus on the back.

Just like you should not carry a pillion until you know you can handle a bike I believe the same logic should have been applied here.

Good to here the misses is alright and hopefully she will get back on the rocket with you ya ****ing hooligan!!

Well it wasnt intentional :P

Ah sure she got straight back on and yes she knows right well what I'm like :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Well it wasnt intentional :P

Ah sure she got straight back on and yes she knows right well what I'm like :pac:
    I'd just hit the end of the break in period so decided to give a power wheelie a shot.

Told her to hold on tight, I flicked the throttle, the bike reared forward in a mad lurch and front end went up, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and she went flying off the back down the road !! frown.png

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So it wasnt intentional you say :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

leppla wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So it wasnt intentional you say :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh look what's that over there !!

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not fond of 2 up myself, had the missus on the back of the FZ6 for about an hour and was not fond of it TBH. Was on the back of a Vstrom with Lookbehindyou going to Carlow to collect a bike for him and I swear I nearly **** myself!!!!

He put me on the back of the strom going over the gap before - those pants have been out of service ever since

Second hand, freebie throw aways.. They're only used for stunting.

Thank fook for that :pac: New would be mental.

Went out to practice slow riding today in prep for my test soon, and decided to give a power wheelie a go.... still can't get it even though I technically know "how" I can't get it right.... don't like doing clutch wheelies because of the jump making me feel unstable :pac:

I will get it soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

power wheelies vs clutch ones - gee, the test has changed since I done it..! :P

:pac: Yeah, I'm planning to impress the tester with my super cool moves.... a stoppie on the way to the door. He can't fail me then :D

Mostly was just practicing U-turns, Figure-8's and other slow control maneuvers though.

Mini is does take a bit of time and more than a little balls but you'll get there.

Aren't you riding an FZ600?.. Most of the 600's are difficult enough to wheelie, they've no real torque and the wheelie can feel like a snatch.

I'm usually out most Sunday but the last few I've been tied up with work otherwise if you're in Dublin you could join us.

I'll break it down.. (try less than half full tank).

Roll on in first until the point at which you'd change to second.

Instead of changing, back off the trottle and roll it on again, if you only get a little bunny hop do it straight away (using the compressed fork from the hop to get you up again).

Too slow and you'll come up too quick, too fast is better than risking a slow wheelie.

COVER THE BACK BRAKE.

Now honestly the first few times you'll sh*t yourself and you'll swear to your bud's that the wheel was four feet in the air, you'll be lucky if its 6 inches (truth).. Seriously even a few inches feels a lot at time.

If you keep trying you will get there, promise.

(If anyone was the blue Hornet on the N3 this morning, that was me acting the bollox)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

"After the turnabout, I want you to power wheelie down to the red car".
    I got a green mark on that one for coming down to hard.

Yeah Mak, still on the Fazer. And the tank could be the key to it... I tend to keep her full up in case I decide to go on a long run. So it's really, obvious to the feel front and top heavy.

Will take a long one today to take some fuel out of her and give it a shot down in Baltimore or something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

never wheelied a sportsbike but unintentional wheelies on the supermoto were par for the course.. couldnt pull away from a stop without the front lifting.. lol

Advertisement