Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible New Pet Owner

• 14-01-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are thinking about getting a kitten for the house.

We have 2 daughters (ages 3 and 9months) but my wife is scared of toxoplasmosis that they can carry.
    Is this a real threat from cats?

Also, if not a kitten, what other small animals would you suggest.
    We have a decent size house and garden but our elder daughter is really scared of dogs so wont go down that route.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Toxoplasmosis and Toxocariasis are the conditions you're worried about (caused by a protozoan parasite called Toxoplasma gondii and the roundworm Toxocara cati (mystax), T.canis for dogs).

With regards to Toxoplasma It's been estimated that on average ~30% of the worlds population has been exposed to it. Exposure to it does not necessarily mean you are going to get sick from it, most don't and once exposed you're immune for life.

Cats also aren't the only way of getting it (eating undercooked meat, drinking contaminated water and/or ingesting the organism from cat faecal material). Whilst cats less than 6mths of age are the main shedders of the "eggs", this only happens once in their lifetime and it takes anything up to 5 days for them to become infective so it's important to clean litter trays regularly.

I think many people think once you get a cat it means automatically their child is going to go blind/get sick etc, but it's reported very rarely in Ireland and symptoms are often just mild flu like with raised lymph nodes, which passes. The main risk for Toxoplasmosis is in pregnant women who have never been exposed to it as it can cause complications for the unborn baby and also immunocomprimised people. It's not even tested for as part of a prenatal screen either in Ireland. As long as reasonable hygiene precautions are adhered to then there is absolutely no reason at all you can't have a kitten or older cat.

Good info from the HPSC here
    wrote:
    In Ireland toxoplasmosis is reported relatively rarely. However, as symptoms in healthy people are generally mild and non-specific, a significant proportion of cases probably go unnoticed. Studies in the UK have estimated that between 7-34% of people have been infected with T. gondii. In an Irish study, around 13% of children were shown to have been infected. However, the vast majority of these people will not have noticed any symptoms.

Whilst I am alleviating some of your worry, it doesn't mean there is NO risk at all, it's just disspelling some of the myths associated with cats and Toxoplasma.

Similar hygiene rules apply for Toxocariasis. As the human is not the host for this parasite,it basically "gets lost" in the body (visceral larval migrans) and larva can end up migrating to the eye causing sight problems or blindness (ocular larval migrans). It is very rare in Ireland see HSE link and if your cat is regularly dewormed this won't be an issue.

With any animal there is a risk of zoonotic infections (humans can get infected) eg, Giardiasis,campylobacter,ringworm but our hygiene standards are so good it wouldn't be top of the list for issues to worry about. Take reasonable precautions with very young children obviously but I would have no qualms personally having pets (possibly not reptiles though as salmonellosis can be a bit more problematic) in my household with infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thank you so much for that reply ANNIEHOO.

I will show it to my wife.

I assume indoor cats will be cleaner than outdoor? or is this cruel in someway to the cats themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ronjo wrote: »
    I assume indoor cats will be cleaner than outdoor?
    Well yes as they won't have exposure to other roaming cats who are potentially infected with different organisms or hunt infected rodents etc
    wrote:
    or is this cruel in someway to the cats themselves.
    Plenty of people keep indoor ony cats so as long as you keep them sufficiently entertained there's absolutely no problem at all keeping a cat indoors only especially if you have them from kittenhood onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd agree with anniehoo. We have 4 adult cats who we got at various stages and who are indoor/outdoor cats with a catflap. We're fostering a kitten at the moment and I wouldn't dream of letting her out, I think she'll have a better life as in indoor only cat and I wish my other 4 were indoor only.

I have to take immunosuppressants every week and I clean out 3 litter trays without any medical problems. Hygiene is important, but it's important with young children anyway. If you aren't entirely sure about taking on a cat/kitten it might be an idea to talk to a local rescue and maybe foster a cat or kitten and see how you feel. If it doesn't work out you've not lost anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thank you so much for that reply ANNIEHOO.

I will show it to my wife.

I assume indoor cats will be cleaner than outdoor? or is this cruel in someway to the cats themselves.

Some people may try to claim it is cruel to keep cats in but in reality you will be keeping the cat safe from cars, dogs, scumbags, and diseases like FIV (cat AIDS) and most likely giving it a much longer life. If they're kept in from kittenhood and have plenty of stimulation they'll be grand. You can even train them to walk on a lead and harness.

The trouble with keeping them in generally come from having to keep in adult cats that have been allowed to roam. A friend of mine had to start keeping hers in after it contracted FIV. It was constantly trying to get out, but couldn't be allowed because the disease is so infectious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I have three cats and they are never outside, unless I take them out on a lead. Fighting with neighbours cats, traffic and thieves are the main reason I dont want my cats out there roaming around.

Surprisingly the cats dont seem bothered at all. They dont try and make a bolt for it when the door is open. If a cat was used to being outside and then you tried to keep it in, I reckon you would have a much bigger problem. The cat would most likely become depressed and start howling etc.

Hi, OP again here.

My wife is leaning towards a guinea pig as a pet.

How are they for small children?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I wouldn't recommend piggies around small children, they are lovely pets but very delicate and easily hurt.
    I think children under about 8 or 9 are too young for guinea pigs, or even rabbits, I know a lot of people get them as pets for small kids.

mymo wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend piggies around small children, they are lovely pets but very delicate and easily hurt.
    I think children under about 8 or 9 are too young for guinea pigs, or even rabbits, I know a lot of people get them as pets for small kids.

Thanks for that Mymo.
    I hadnt really thought about that.

Hi, Its the OP Back again.

A friend of our has a cat and a few dogs and she reckons the cat does far more damage in the house than the dogs. eg scratching furniture.
    Is it true that cats do this a lot?
    we have a really nice leather couch and my wife is afraid it will be destroyed.

Am not really looking for comparisons with dogs, just more do cats behave like this often?

Thanks again, you were very helpful last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Cats and leather dont mix well our two destroyed the sides of our couch and our leather seated kitchen chairs. We have scratch posts for them but as soon as theu wake up they like to drag there nails along whatever is nearest to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I have two cats and three leather sofas and they haven't been damaged at all. They have, however, clawed the timber banister on my stairs to shreds. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have five cats and leather office chairs, you can see little indentation marks from where their claws have punctured the furniture. Out of the five, it's probably only one or two of the cats who actually have put their claws in! And it's only my friendliest of cats who do it, the other ones tend to go about their own thing so they are less inclined to touch my chair. It really depends on the nature of the cat, but you're more likely than not going to find it testing your furniture imo.

Even though you're not looking for a comparison, I will definitely say a dog does less damage, but a puppy would do as much or even more damage given the freedom/opportunity to do so.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

IF your cat is an indoor only moggy, soft paws are an option vis a vis scratching. My US relatives swear by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you make sure that the cat has something to scratch her claws on (scratching post, or even a sheet of corrugated cardboard) and make it clear to them that furniture is not for scratching, damage done will be very minimal. Also, you can keep their claws clipped if they won't need them to hunt/defend themselves and that'll cut down on the amount of damage they can do.

Cats can be perfectly happy indoors, provided they have enough to keep them stimulated. And you'll be doing them a huge favor, as they'll be much safer indeed. My wife has leash trained cats before, if they're young they'll take to it, and they will eventually learn the boundaries they're supposed to stay in and can be let out under supervision. Or you can just crack open a window near a bird feeder and let them spend the whole day watching Cat TV and enjoying the fresh air.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    IF your cat is an indoor only moggy, soft paws are an option vis a vis scratching. My US relatives swear by them.

What do you mean by soft paws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

What do you mean by soft paws?

They are a little rubber tip you stick onto the cats claws so they aren't sharp anymore. Personally I clip my guys nails and it cuts down on any damage done to furniture. You could also put double sided sticky tape where you don't want the cat to scratch they hate the feel of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I have an indoor/outdoor cat and he has done zero damage to any of our furniture.

I agree about guinea pigs not being suitable for young children. Once they get to 10/11 maybe as they can then take some responsibility in caring for them. The piggies are too little for smaller children.

Advertisement