Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

active retirement

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for any active retirement groups in the dundrum/ sandyford areas please for my dad,preferably during the day.I've been googling but am comming up with nothing,can anyone point me in the right direction please? Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Try here: here to check for you local group. Then check the How to Join for contact details on getting further information

There's one in the Sandyford Community Centre, see here.

FRIDAY
    CLASSES ABOUT START TIME FINISH TIME CONTACT PHONE
    Active retirement Retirees 2.00pm 4.00pm 01 2959149

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Here's one in the Methodist church up by Wesley. All seem to be welcome, not just parishioners. He could try Taney parish also, they seem to be a very active community. There might be something in the family recreation centre in Meadowbrook. Maybe he could look at joing a club that he would be interested in that may not necessarily be for retired people like photography or a book club. Or he could try voluntary work perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have you tried a local bowls club? My parents refused to join one, because they're full of old people, but my wife marched them in and joined them up.

They love it and have made several new friends as well as keeping more active.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Thanks everyone,he's not going to go to methodist or church of ireland ones as he'd be afraid they'd try and convert him....... ive checked out a few but one is on in the evenings,he will try that first. He just needs a little outlet at the moment,bit of chat,mayb a few games,outings etc...during the day,i thought mayb a mens shed as he was so good with his hands years ago.he called to one and said the men didnt want him???? They said it wasnt what he was looking for so he was somewhat deflated.he has a bad back so bowls are out,didnt think it was going to be this difficult really in such a huge area.

snowbabe wrote: »
    Thanks everyone,he's not going to go to methodist or church of ireland ones as he'd be afraid they'd try and convert him........

As long as he doesn't eat the soup he'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 melissa16

As a methodist and daughter of a Church of Ireland,I don't appreciate those last 2 comments.

melissa16 wrote: »
    As a methodist and daughter of a Church of Ireland,I don't appreciate those last 2 comments.

I'm CofI myself.

The joke is more about someone's fear of being converted than a dig at protestants.

My mother in law was almost surprised when she came to my church, I think she was expecting to see human sacrifice or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

It wasn't meant to be a joke!!!! He is not young and has very strong religous views,too old to change now unfortunately. Its just his generation I suppose.I didnt come here to say anything to offend anyone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

My Dad organises an Active Retirement Group in the Leopardstown area although there are a good few people from outside the area so that wouldnt be a problem. I will PM you with his contact details.

Advertisement