Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Routes to Sonographer

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all

Hope someone can help me with this.
    I have very recently finished up in my admin job and am looking at this as an opportunity to build a career doing something I think i would truly enjoy, which would be sonography/ ultrasound.

The main routes I have come across are;

BSc in Radiography in UCD (which appears quite difficult to gain entry to as a mature student-only 4 places)

or

BSc in Diagnostic Radiography in the UK (although I am cutting it very fine as applications have to be in by tomorrow 15/1/2014:eek:)

Note: As I have only very recently become unemployed I have not managed to undertake any work experience to date, which appears essential in application for Radiography. I have contacted every hospital in the Dublin area and not one has been in a position to offer me same.

Followed by a MSc in Ultrasound

or alternatively

a BSc in Midwifery followed by a MSc in Ultrasound
    The BSc Midwifery would appear to easier to get a place on, as I would have the required Leaving Cert points (based on last year) and would also have the option of sitting the mature student aptitude test in April.

My main worry is that both degrees with Masters would not be viewed equally by prospective employers. Also at 28 I am not getting any younger and am not sure it would be ideal to wait another year to get into Radiography. I wondered if anyone could offer some advice on which the best path would be...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Hi Oooops,

I came across your post because I am also thinking about a career in Radiography.
    I am currently a mature student (also 28!) in 4th year of a science degree and I'm hoping to do a MSc in the UK after. I have been researching this area for the past week so I hope I can pass on some info!

I think you would be better off going for the BSc in Radiography, either in Dublin or the UK. If you really want to do Radiography, and not Midwifery, then I see no point in putting yourself through the time and expense of studying two courses. Be persistent when asking to shadow in a hospital, keep ringing and writing emails to HR in every hospital you know. The universities will definitely be looking for evidence of a day spent observing a radiographer.

As for waiting another year to apply, I think it is worth it. If you really want to be a radiographer - go for it! One year goes by very fast, and you will need a few months to get experience, sort your applications, personal statements, and get all your other documentation in order for going to college as a mature student. Also, make sure you can get the BTEA? I think you need to be unemployed for 9 or 12 months..

Advertisement