Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sitting in my house

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am planning a 2 week holiday.

I don't want to send my dogs to kennels as they are real home dogs.

Does anyone know of any reputable business that will come in, stay in the house and mind the dogs?

Thanks,

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am planning a 2 week holiday.

I don't want to send my dogs to kennels as they are real home dogs.

Does anyone know of any reputable business that will come in, stay in the house and mind the dogs?

Thanks,

C

OP,

you need to tell us where you are based?

Personally i think a "homestay kennels" may be better, same as what your suggesting but the stay at a minders house, with their families no kennels per say.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

Thanks for the reply.

I'm based in ballinteer, D. 16

I could look at homestay if there were no other pets.

The dogs get on great with one another but can be strange with new dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

If you can't find a business that does this, perhaps you could contact a rescue or shelter.

I volunteer with a cat rescue, and some fosterers have looked after animals in their own homs, that have been adopted, when their new adopters went on holidays. It's another way to earn some income for the rescue.

I don't know if it would work for dogs, but maybe a last-resource idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm based in ballinteer, D. 16

I could look at homestay if there were no other pets.

The dogs get on great with one another but can be strange with new dogs

http://www.petsittersireland.com/

you could try this place, I havent used them as I use a homestay kennels, but she always has a few more dogs when my guy goes to stay.

maybe some other posters can recommend?

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My solution when going away, was to offer the 'job' to a friend who needs the money. She comes to the house twice a day, a walk both times, feeds them and sits with them a while - leaving lights and the radio on too. As long they get out, my lot are happier at home. In the summertime, she will leave them in the (enclosed) garden for a few hours too. Do you know anyone - a mum whose children are at school who would be glad of some extra cash, or a student, or a retired person who likes to walk - as long as its someone reliable that you can trust, you would be surprised who would be glad to do the job for some money. I give my sitter the money that I would have to pay for them to go to a kennel - it makes a tidy sum.

(The only disadvantage to having pets - what to do with them when you are away :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 cricketchick

I can highly recommend Dublin Pet Services (they're on Facebook). They provide home from home boarding, so your dogs will be staying in a home rather than in kennels. They also get plenty of exercise and interaction with other dogs. My two have been there several times while we go away. I also use them for dog walking and I'm happy to vouch for them. They're based near the airport which is handy for pick ups and drop offs.

Advertisement