Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Eng Student Seeks Part Time Work

Options
  • 14-01-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm in my final year studying Electrical and Control Engineering in DIT. As my lectures are finished for the year I am now seeking 3/4 days work per week while I work on my final year project. I completed up to phase 5 of an ESB electrical apprenticeship before going back to college.
    I'm currently living in Malahide, Co Dublin and I am flexible with regards to availability.

Contact John on <SNIP>

Mod Edit: Please contact by PM, regards 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As you are looking to work 3/4 days a week and are due to hand in & present your final year project at the end of this semester I assume that you intend to select a project that will be directly based on your work experience?

If this is the case it would be advisable to provide details of the type of work experience you are looking for and some information about the type of project that you intend to pursue.

If however you do not intend on doing an industry based project I think you should seriously reconsider working 3/4 days a week during such a critical phase of your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jonno80

My project is one based on Control and Automation but as there is an expense to building the project I need to find work to subsidise it. I am fully confident I will build the project any days that I'm not working. A job in the area of control and automation would be a huge bonus but I'd also like to work with an electrician as domestic and commercial wiring was something I did not get a lot of experience in during my time with the ESB apart from phase 2 & 4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jonno80 wrote: »
    My project is one based on Control and Automation but as there is an expense to building the project I need to find work to subsidise it.

Understood.
    I am fully confident I will build the project any days that I'm not working.

Fair enough, just remember you have to document the project (design specification, calculations, circuit diagrams, testing/commissioning, graphs, signal conditioning, modelling etc...) and present it to a panel of engineers. Very time consuming and challenging.

A job in the area of control and automation would be a huge bonus

Yes, I can see the advantages. However this is likely to pay little or nothing due to the fact that you have not graduated and have limited experience working in this area (I assume).

I'd also like to work with an electrician as domestic and commercial wiring was something I did not get a lot of experience in during my time with the ESB apart from phase 2 & 4

Are you a qualified electrician?

If so this would be more lucrative, but the experience will be of little use for progressing your career (unlike the automation role).

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

If you are doing your degree in control and automation the last thing you want to be doing is going around with a domestic electrician. You need to get into a manufacturing environment where you will come across conveyors, drives, encoders, sensors, relays, timers and PLC's etc. Working with a domestic/commercial spark will provide little or none of the above.

Best of luck with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jonno80

Dufftronic wrote: »
    You need to get into a manufacturing environment

Easier said than done when all Im looking for is a few days a week. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Jonno80 wrote: »
    My project is one based on Control and Automation but as there is an expense to building the project I need to find work to subsidise it

Will the college not help out with costs, or is it too late for requesting project money? I went back on the tools during my honours degree but only now and then, and certainly not for 4th year. The final year workload, with the project (I did an automation and controls project also), was nearly the end of me!

Advertisement