Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South East Asia / South America Combo

• 14-01-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello fellow boardsies,

Am looking for some advice if anyone has been in a similar predicament. Basically am considering packing in the job for a few months to spread my wings and go do some travelling ! I've been to a couple of different countries around Europe but never left the continent. Therefore I was thinking of hitting South East Asia (Thailand, Vietnam) for 5-6 weeks and about the same over in South America (The stretch between Columbia and Bolivia but my three priorities are the Amazon Rainforest, Machu Picchu and the Galapogas Islands). Since I'll possibly be solo as friends are all tied to work, I was thinking of doing SE Asia first with one of the tour groups (Intrepid, GA) to get me started then over to SA where my girlfriend plans to take a two week holiday to join me at some stage in mid November. Given I plan on seeing alot of the big sites and travel between Asia and SA will be a bit, I was thinking a 8-10k budget. Just wondering what are peoples thoughts..

Is my budget sufficient ?
    What's the cheapest way of getting from Ireland to SE Asia to SA ? (Flights to Thai 450e, Thai to Bogata, Columbia 900-1000 checking skyscanner) So looks like travel will be the big expense.
    How did anyone find the weather in Columbia, Ecuador, Peru from Sept-Dec (spring over there I believe) ?
    Any must sees or does in either place that people would recommend? I've done alot of reading up but interested to hear further thoughts from those with first hand experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Jesper

Hi Pinzas
    A couple of years ago I quit my job (amid everyone thinking I was crazy[28yrs old]) and took a year to 'travel the world'. Trust me the more you see of an area the longer you wish you had there. I'm very lucky I decided NOT to get a round the world ticket. I ended up spending the 11 months in Asia/NZ. You'd be amazed how quick a month will go in a country. My general itinerary was -
    -Philippines 8 weeks and did some volunteer work with CFSI.
    -Vietnam and Cambodia - 2 friends came and spent 3 weeks with me so went fast.
    -Koh Phanang Island Thailand -5 weeks, did a medition course in Wat Koh Tam and got in 3 full moon parties :-) over Christmas and New Year.
    -the I went to Laos for another Thai visa - ended up spending 5 more weeks here most of them in Vang Vieng (tubing - best/stupidest fun ever)
    -Chiang Mai North Thailand - 5 weeks Really liked this place. got a lovely hotel room for a month for 130euro. joined a fantastic gym on a 5 floor of a 5 star hotel with all included for 20 euro for a month. really chilled and met some great people. the last 8 days I did the Mai Hon Son loop on a rented motor bike.
    -Burma - 2 weeks. Place was cool to travel around. especially Inle Lake. Met maybe the best people of all my travelling on this trip.
    India - didn't like it. nuff said. I only didthe north cities and everyone says to get out of this region.
    Nepal - 6 weeks. Fantastic. did the Annapurna hike circuit. loved it. did a safari and white water rafting. I'll definitely be back. Has it all.
    New Zeland - 10 weeks. again a great spot. a good bit more expensive than the rest. wonderful hostels, hikes, food, outdoor sports. got a great value flight from Air Asia form Malaysia.
    Malaysia (way home) - 3 weeks. spent a few weeks in Kuala Lumpar and a few on the islands. Islands (Parintians) are amazing and did my open water scuba which was great.
    tips - Air Asia is cheap as hell and great to fly with.
    Don't make any plans in stone if you can help it.
    You'll meet people everywhere you go. Make a small effort and you'll enjoy the freedom of meeting new people and not having the obligation of a group to worry about.
    If you leave work during the year you'll be able to claim your tax back in January (3-5k?) and also you'll have built up tax credits for when you return (save 3k?).
    All I can say is do it and do the bigger things. the rafting/scuba etc. In hindsight I was a bit mean with a few things (paragliding in Nepal) and missed out.
    Don't try and fit in to many counteries - burns cash and makes you tired from moving.
    Let me know if you need any further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pinzas

Jesper wrote: »
    Hi Pinzas
    A couple of years ago I quit my job (amid everyone thinking I was crazy[28yrs old]) and took a year to 'travel the world'. Trust me the more you see of an area the longer you wish you had there. I'm very lucky I decided NOT to get a round the world ticket. I ended up spending the 11 months in Asia/NZ. You'd be amazed how quick a month will go in a country. My general itinerary was -
    -Philippines 8 weeks and did some volunteer work with CFSI.
    -Vietnam and Cambodia - 2 friends came and spent 3 weeks with me so went fast.
    -Koh Phanang Island Thailand -5 weeks, did a medition course in Wat Koh Tam and got in 3 full moon parties :-) over Christmas and New Year.
    -the I went to Laos for another Thai visa - ended up spending 5 more weeks here most of them in Vang Vieng (tubing - best/stupidest fun ever)
    -Chiang Mai North Thailand - 5 weeks Really liked this place. got a lovely hotel room for a month for 130euro. joined a fantastic gym on a 5 floor of a 5 star hotel with all included for 20 euro for a month. really chilled and met some great people. the last 8 days I did the Mai Hon Son loop on a rented motor bike.
    -Burma - 2 weeks. Place was cool to travel around. especially Inle Lake. Met maybe the best people of all my travelling on this trip.
    India - didn't like it. nuff said. I only didthe north cities and everyone says to get out of this region.
    Nepal - 6 weeks. Fantastic. did the Annapurna hike circuit. loved it. did a safari and white water rafting. I'll definitely be back. Has it all.
    New Zeland - 10 weeks. again a great spot. a good bit more expensive than the rest. wonderful hostels, hikes, food, outdoor sports. got a great value flight from Air Asia form Malaysia.
    Malaysia (way home) - 3 weeks. spent a few weeks in Kuala Lumpar and a few on the islands. Islands (Parintians) are amazing and did my open water scuba which was great.
    tips - Air Asia is cheap as hell and great to fly with.
    Don't make any plans in stone if you can help it.
    You'll meet people everywhere you go. Make a small effort and you'll enjoy the freedom of meeting new people and not having the obligation of a group to worry about.
    If you leave work during the year you'll be able to claim your tax back in January (3-5k?) and also you'll have built up tax credits for when you return (save 3k?).
    All I can say is do it and do the bigger things. the rafting/scuba etc. In hindsight I was a bit mean with a few things (paragliding in Nepal) and missed out.
    Don't try and fit in to many counteries - burns cash and makes you tired from moving.
    Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks Jesper. Assuming you went solo, did you get involved with any of the travel operators or did you get to know a few people through your work with CFSI?

Very interesting on the tax credits, I had not considered that. So basically the PAYE and PRSI credits (3300e in total for year) are deducted by 1/12th month on month when you're working. Therefore if you took a couple of months off, you wouldn't be using any of your tax credit for those months and could claim it back at the end of the year ? Or does it carry forward into the following year when you get a job again ?

I'm still weighing up whether to head for South America for a few weeks or to head New Zealand/Aus or Southern Africa even. The flights cost alot more than I imagined they would based on first look. I think I definetley underestimated the size of the Pacific Ocean!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Jesper

Yeah I went solo. You''ll meet great people with similar interests don't worry. Regarding tour groups I did none in advance. But I did a days downhill mountain biking in chiang Mai and ended up meeting a gang of Ex Pats who invited me to lots. When I did the meditation course in Koh Phanang I met loads (dated one) of people who I'm still close with some.
    The tours/day trips are a good way to get to know people when you need. I wouldn't book in advance.

Your spot on with your tax credit example of the 1/12. so if you look at your tax (tax only not prsi/usc) for one month you should be able to take that figure back for the months you don't work.

Let me know if I can advise more. You'l live like a king for the money you'll save not going to SA.

Here is a guy from Nepal who can assist in booking/trips if want - https://www.facebook.com/kchhatra?fref=ts

enjoy b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

I agree with most of the above.

(1) Don't book a big tour. Seriously no need. Enjoy the random-ness and adventure of solo travel.

(2) South East Asia is cheap to travel in.

(3) You can definitely spend 3-6 months there alone. Take your time and enjoy.

Advertisement