Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Google Docs

Options
  • 14-01-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

First off, my apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I wouldn't normally ask a question like this so I tend to not frequent these forums.

Currently I share some Google docs one on one with various people. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a master doc that I can share with multiple individuals BUT have those people hidden from each other.

Currently I assign some tasks in the line of my work that's done from individual docs but if I could share one doc with multiple people and colour code the cells so each person knows what they're working on it'd help me to cut down some administration.

Is it possible to share with multiple users but have them hidden from one another?

Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

If I understand you correctly (you want users to only view, not edit, but only certain sections of a document are visible to each user?) I don't think this is possible. I use Google Docs for collaboration on projects, and just share a document per person for the scenario I think you are describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Have you considered looking into version control such as git etc...? That way you have your online repository and each submission by a user is documented and you can view previous versions since the last check in/out.

I am by no means comfortable with version control systems nor do I know a great deal about them considering I've only done it as part of a college course, but the functionality you want is there...one document shared between many users, users then check the document out...make changes, check it back in, repository updates to the latest checkin...users check that out work on it check it in...rinse repeat.

Advertisement