Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No exercise for mammy - guilty leaving little one!

Options
  • 14-01-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I have an amazing one year old, and a great husband, and I work full time. I did well to lose the baby weight, worked hard for the year by eating really healthy. But I never quite got back to exercise. I used to be a sports fanatic, but accept parenthood changes that. But I really want to get fit, as I know the benefits of it.
    But I find it soooo hard to leave my little one in the evenings! He is a with an amazing childminder all day, I get home at 6 and see him until bed at 8. I feel guilty enough even goin to work but to give up any time in my evening....I hate it!! Yet I miss my exercise so much.
    Has anyone struggled with this at all? I guess I'm looking for some mammies to share their story - maybe if I don't feel alone it will help me feel less guilty and I might give myself some time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You could exercise early in the morning before he wakes? Or when he goes to sleep?

It's very tough - but what I did is put myself first. I got a trainer to come to the house at 6 once a fortnight and I got up at 5 to do my workout.

Try and not feel guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Most gyms are open till around 10pm during the week aren't they? You could go after LO goes to bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

After work walk/run? That's what I do / did. Load the little one into the buggy and go for a jog with her after work. I'm lucky to live in a safe running and walking area. When I was on mat leave I managed it during the day instead. Babies and toddlers love it, especially when there is stuff to see on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I would love to get my act in gear and get back working out. But I lack motivation and the time to do it with :( I have no one I can give the kids to for an hour or two and it upsets me, as I used be fairly healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

There are some things you can do with your baby, sling dance is a great one, and a decent work out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I do those mentioned above, walks/runs with the buggy, "sling dance" (no classes near me but the best way I can get housework done is to strap him to my back, crank up the radio and dance while I work) and I also cycle with my little guy on his weeride seat in front of me. All are good exercise and a fun experience we both enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I know what you mean about feeling guilty especially being away from them all day but prioritising exercise is ultimately beneficial for all of you.

Your little one will benefit as he grows because he'll see it as part of normal family life.

I'm in the same situation now but both mine are in bed by 7. I've just started a pilates class at 8.30 and going to start running once or twice a week and once at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

I am also working full time and the time I have with the kids after work is precious. So I am running after they go to bed also I exercise with on line programme. We are active together at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

What about using a Davina McCall workout DVD? You can do that from home after the baby is in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Is there any Gyms close by work? perhaps do something on your lunch break?
    A gym opened up across the road from work and I get an hours lunch so I go for 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week I feel is the best balance I can get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

How far is work, Would it be possible to walk to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

...or cycle? Depending on your commute, it could even be quicker than bus/train/car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I had the guilts last year. ..but it was kind of a guilt about leaving the family. My husband would only br home and I'd be off out if I was to do it in the evenings.

So I put the then 1 year old in the buggy and ran with him. I don't know if that's a runner (pardon the pun ;) ) for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Thank you all for your ideas and input! It is so great to see that I am not alone on this. And I think that the exercise being beneficial to all of us is such a great point.
    Cycling to work is not an option as we dont have showers and I'm in a "suit/client/bullsh8t" type role :p
    Mornings - I will be honest here, I'm useless!
    But what I have started is going out for a walk as many nights as possible once he has gone off to bed. I also got a DIY pilaltes programme from my physio and bought some good old fashioned weights.
    I guess my workouts just have to happen later in the day.

I'm struggling with one - I will be useless if I have any more!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

What about going for a decent walk during your lunch? Or (don't laugh) going up and down the stairs and few times at lunch? Before I got pregnant I would go to the gym before work 3 days a week, on the other two I would go for a brisk walk at lunchtime. If it was raining I would go up and down a few flights of stairs at lunch just to have done some exercise! The people in the offices on the other floors thought I was quite mad, but it did help to burn the fat (all the fat I then put back on when I got pregnant!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Oh...seeing you've mentioned the diy pilates. I also did a 30 min work out. .I found 30 minute cardio on you tube and did that the days I wasn't running. Gave burpees a whole other nasty meaning! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I go for a run in the evening after he's gone to bed (and after my dinner has fully settled!), I do the couch to 5k program.

On the evenings my husband is not home, I stick on my Pilates for Dummies DVD.

Between both I get a good balance of cardio and strength and neither are longer than 30 minutes.

It's really important to try and get 30 minutes exercise a day. It benefits the whole family if you stay fit, so don't feel guilty!

Advertisement