Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobbies & Interests,CAO Application

Options
  • 14-01-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Just wondering about this section of the application, do you just list your hobbies or do you talk a bit about them,all my hobbies are in relation to my course so if i start writing i am afraid i will go overboard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

I am doing this right now also.

I have been advised that it's best to not just list them, but to back them up with how they will benefit you in your course (without being too longwinded).

So, in the online CAO form text space I am writing "See supporting documentation", then posting a short enough 2 or 3 paragraphs outlining hobbies/interests and their relation to my course(s).

Not advising that to everyone. I read this advice on a post here…. but I cannot find it to quote it.

If you can fit what you have to say into the 200 character space, then great, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Beakflakes wrote: »
    I am doing this right now also.

I have been advised that it's best to not just list them, but to back them up with how they will benefit you in your course (without being too longwinded).

So, in the online CAO form text space I am writing "See supporting documentation", then posting a short enough 2 or 3 paragraphs outlining hobbies/interests and their relation to my course(s).

Not advising that to everyone. I read this advice on a post here…. but I cannot find it to quote it.

If you can fit what you have to say into the 200 character space, then great, I suppose.

Yes i was doing the exact same as yourself but i had an appointment with career guidance in my local VEC on Monday and he said to just list my hobbies and talk about them at interview so not sure what to do.

I think your VEC would know best. But, the point I'd like to make is that you are not called for an interview unless they like what you have written first.

If you simply list your hobbies without putting them into any context in relation to your course choice then that doesn't say a whole lot about you and you might be passed over for the interview.

UCD, for one, say that they will sometimes admit Mature/special category students without even interviewing them, if their personal statements etc. are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Beakflakes wrote: »
    I think your VEC would know best. But, the point I'd like to make is that you are not called for an interview unless they like what you have written first.

If you simply list your hobbies without putting them into any context in relation to your course choice then that doesn't say a whole lot about you and you might be passed over for the interview.

UCD, for one, say that they will sometimes admit Mature/special category students without even interviewing them, if their personal statements etc. are good enough.

That is my thinking too, a few paragraphs is better than just listing them.Good luck with your application!

Yeah maybe, but not too long I'd say. Mine is too long right now so I'm trying to figure out what to change. Best of luck to you too boss!

• Advertisement
Advertisement