Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coachella 2014

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi all just wondering is anyone planning on going to this?

il be in california myself while its on and am going to desperatly try and find tickets to go to it, if anyone can help me out with this id much appreciate any help i can get as theyre sold out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

coa_2014_900x1200_v31.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianroche07

easily one of the best if not the best line up of a festival ive seen in all my years of going to gigs

I can imagine a whack of clashes though, the Knife has added some new tracks to the set and apparently there is going to be more live vocals and stuff. Was looking at the Coachella forums, its weird seeing people getting excited about festivals in January, but that is some line up alright. I wish I could go but don't have the funds to take on such a trip, I have a few festivals that I work at each year in Ireland and thats good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm living in California at the moment and had an opportunity to purchase tickets on the day-of-sale but at €275 a pop, it's more than I'm willing to pay. That price doesn't include camping and when you factor in transport the fixed cost is quite high. There is a decent mix of bands, say, to get to see Disclosure, Motörhead and The Toy Dolls on the same day. Would be great to see Outkast live as well, yet Arcade Fire and Muse as headliners are no real surprise on the festival circuit, and I've no interest in seeing either live again. While there will probably be some good stuff on while they're on, two bunk headliners makes it harder to hand over the cash—not that that's much of an issue for the organisers of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

easily one of the best if not the best line up of a festival ive seen in all my years of going to gigs

A tad of an overstatement i think

• Advertisement

Yeh they seemed to have the same rules about drinking at Open'r festival in Poland, you can't carry your pint to the stages, maybe Christy Moore should get gigs at Open'r and Coachella since he always requested the bar shut during his gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianroche07

scudzilla wrote: »
    A tad of an overstatement i think

have to disagree, ive been to download, reading, oxegen (4 times) and electric picnic twice, this line up is definatly up there with last years picnic. everyone has their own take on it i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Mr.S wrote: »
    Understandable in America with their crazy Alcohol laws, but Poland!?

Yeah that was the rule but it was fairly relaxed once the sun went down and the crowds flocked towards the stage.

Not enough security men to stop everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I would love to go to Coachella, although the heat would put me off camping and the expense of getting there, tickets and hotels would also be a detterent, I think it is probably one of those once in a lifetime type things.

It is a good line-up this year but I've definitely seen better in years gone by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Going this year!
    Expensive, likely a once off.
    Staying in a hotel in Palm Desert with shuttle.
    Cannot wait :)

Delighted with the line up, was hoping for The National too but still lots on each day to see. Will probably spend a lot of Friday checking out the layout and art installations.Then, depending on times/clashes and what we just end up coming across it'll loosely be:

Friday:
    DJ Falcon, Jagwar Ma, Flume, Bryan Ferry, Bonobo, Broken Bells, The Knife, whatever else we wander into.

Saturday:
    Maybe Laura Mvula, CHVRCHES, Nas, Fatboy Slim, Empire of the Sun, Foster the People, Pharrell, Skrillex and Queens of the Stone Age.

Sunday:
    Laurent Garnier, Lana Del Rey, Disclosure, Beck, Arcade Fire.
    Bit short here, any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't they have very silly rules about this and drinking? You can only drink in "drinking pens" away from the stages so you can't roam around with a beer, and it's something like $7 for a drink?

I suppose the heat would deter you from drinking. Do many people camp, the thought of trying to sleep in 35c heat isn't nice

Very nice lineup though, would love to make the trip over one day.

Yeah the rules are beyond ridiculous and take away from the fun factor. Everything is regimented. If it's all about the music for you then by all means it's always up there with the best lineups. As a festival experience in the whole, it was the worst I ever attended, and I've been to a fair few around europe. The only way I could recommend it would be if you were in the area anyway, or if you had a huge group so that you could make your own fun and atmosphere. The campsite was dead.

The fact that gigs start at midday until midnight rather than say at Benicassim where it starts at 6pm til 4 or 5am is a huge minus point too. If anything it's hotter at Coachella. Makes it nigh on impossible to see the early bands.

^^Or you could look at it this way...from the Coachella forums:

Be prepared for festival heaven, be prepared for sunshine, free parking, plenty of space, no queues for beer, great food and the best selection of new music and established acts that you could wish for.
    Be prepared for no-one chucking beer around, no litter, bands that hit the stage exactly on time, passionate performances and courteous fans that are there to appreciate the music and not just to get blitzed.
    Br prepared for massive anticipation 3 weeks into January, 5 stages within a short walk from each other, lush grass and amazing sunsets.

Next year will be our 5th Coachella traveling from the UK. I've been to most festivals at home and will not be going to another ... ever ... again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

https://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

streaming like every other year. always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Incredible set from OutKast, something like Watch The Throne in the way they organised songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

some captures of performances up on youtube now:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coachella&filters=today%2C+long&lclk=long

the official channel is replaying the streams, and you can rewind them and see the previous 4/5 hours of the stream too.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Incredible set from OutKast, something like Watch The Throne in the way they organised songs.
    really good.

hoping they add Players Ball to the setlist at some point over the summer though as it's my favourite song :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Yeah I expected more from Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (guessed the spelling) considering it was the 20th anniversary. Looking at the stream, the crowd was comatose as usual at Coachella. Janelle Monae and Killer Mike barely got a rise out of them. Andre was in weird form too, facing the wrong way at times, and complaining a fair bit.

Would love stream a bit at the moment but I only get 2 gig in my dongle for the weeks internet so I would use it in no time. I am happily listening to a 2 FM broadcast from 2006 at EP, Andy Weatherall/2ManyDjs and thats good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Wow.....one of the most varied lineups i've seen..definitely not sticking to a theme anyway.

Skrillex, Lana Del Ray, Nina Kraviz, Motorhead!?

Epic.....crowd will be such a mix-up!

You normally know exactly the kind of crowd and vibe that the acts are going to attract. Not so with Coachella!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Andre 3000 seemed very sedate during that set, definitely missing a spark in the performance but the audience came across as dreadful so its hard to tell.
    I'm sure they'll get a better reaction at EP.

I watched a few sets last night, nothing special to report, it just looks unbearably warm on stage.

• Advertisement

i watched loads last night. liked grouplove and didn't know much about them. woodkid was a lot better live than i thought. bonobo was class. but highlight had to be chromeo, they were fcuking unreal. can't wait for them at primavera or hopefullly EP, be a way better crowd.

thought everything would be capped and uploaded to torrent sites by now but can't seem to find anything apart from outkast. working on capping stuff myself now before it's taken down.

highlight had to be chromeo, they were fcuking unreal. can't wait for them at primavera or hopefullly EP, be a way better crowd.

Just been watching Chromeo and they were by far the best I've seen so far. I'm doing my Primavera research too and trying to stream as much as possible, cant wait til end of May!

Was there yesterday, was something else. Staff high fiving people on the way in. One older guy sayin he quit partying years ago so we better pick up his slack :)

Search is hardly a search at all. Open your bag, move the stuff around please. Off you go.

We went early though and it was hot, really hot. Probably over 30 but 4 of the six stages are tents and there's loads of shade. Cools down around 4 or 5.

Giant moving spaceman and loads of cool stuff to check out. The get up on some people is class, full costumes, bikinis, excellent atmosphere. People in their feet on the grass, water being sprayed off stages with power hoses. Anything we went to see started on time.

Bonobo was excellent, Flume was jammed, missed a couple of things checking the place out and there are a good few clashes. Saw Aaron Paul and a few other heads.

Headin in now shortly. Really lookin forward to qotsa, missed them in the point.

i watched loads last night. liked grouplove and didn't know much about them. woodkid was a lot better live than i thought. bonobo was class. but highlight had to be chromeo, they were fcuking unreal. can't wait for them at primavera or hopefullly EP, be a way better crowd.

thought everything would be capped and uploaded to torrent sites by now but can't seem to find anything apart from outkast. working on capping stuff myself now before it's taken down.
    there's quite a few on dimeadozen if you're a member there. 1080p mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZGu5EZyunVU

future islands killing it now on #2. can't take my eyes off sam herring!

cheers ghostdancer, never heard of taht site. i thought this would be capped everywhere but that's the only place. pity they don't ahve girl talk though.

Watching the live stream, does anyone else get the impression the crowd consists of nothing but screaming teenage girls?!?

i presume you're talking about GTA and dillon francis. it's crazy how mainstream 'EDM' is in america. it's fckking awful sh-ite. female talent at the front is great though. same as ultra 2 weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭44thservice

found it very hard to watch churches!!!!!! the synth player signing was cringe to watch!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

lc180 wrote: »
    Watching the live stream, does anyone else get the impression the crowd consists of nothing but screaming teenage girls?!?

Yea, these kind

• Advertisement

Wind got up yesterday, was mental.
    Covered in a fine dust leaving, lots of people wearing bandanas.
    Fatboy slim and qotsa were animal but skrillex wasn't great.

The lighting at qotsa was incredible and the Sahara arena is the best indoor arena I've seen at a festival.

Day 2 was better overall I thought.
    Heard beyonce made an appearance at her sister's gig and Jay-Z and p diddy showed up during NAS.

Arcade. Fire. Tonight! Disclosure, neutral milk hotel, Lana and Laurent garnier.

Organisation is excellent. Campers each have a space marked out which should be done at all festivals. No queues for shuttle bus, they're lined up and pull off as they fill up. There are id check stands that give you a wristband too so no messing after that. There are drinking pens but with the lax search you have no problem bringing in whatever. Brought 500 ml captain Morgan's yesterday and just bought mixer in there so no pens all day. Weed is ubiquitous.

Highly recommend it as a festival.

Advertisement