Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coachella 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jesus what's it like camping in the heat? what's the general vibe of the crowd, much craic in them? female talent looks ridicilous judging from the streams but the cameraman pick them out i suppose.

are you living in the states or did you fly over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

sin0city wrote: »
    There are drinking pens but with the lax search you have no problem bringing in whatever. Brought 500 ml captain Morgan's yesterday and just bought mixer in there so no pens all day.

Obviously a lot more laxy since I was there, I remember getting my dreadlocks searched back in '07, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

lc180 wrote: »
    Andre 3000 seemed very sedate during that set, definitely missing a spark in the performance but the audience came across as dreadful so its hard to tell.

That was the problem, the crowd were a woeful bunch. He turned his back to them at one stage and I wouldn't blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

jesus what's it like camping in the heat? what's the general vibe of the crowd, much craic in them? female talent looks ridicilous judging from the streams but the cameraman pick them out i suppose.

are you living in the states or did you fly over?

Flew over, staying in hotel. I'd say the tents are like furnaces during the day. Crowd is generally chilled the **** out.
    No aggression at all so far.

Not surprising they're more sedate during the day with the heat, you have to pace yourself. Really kicks off when the sun goes down. Talent is ridiculous alright.

So much to see and listen to, first 2 days flew

Obviously a lot more laxy since I was there, I remember getting my dreadlocks searched back in '07, lol

Maybe just lucky but yesterday he just felt the weight of my bag and let me on and the day before just told me to move the stuff in at around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

alleystar wrote: »
    That was the problem, the crowd were a woeful bunch. He turned his back to them at one stage and I wouldn't blame him.

crowd seemed pretty crap but I doubt them being inside a big perspex cube onstage helped things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Aye they musta relaxed alot of their search rules. Going into the campsite in 09 they went through tissues in my pocket and every inch of my wallet.

Crowd were the worst at any festival by a million miles. Can't stress enough how crap it was bar the amazing lineup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭44thservice

^^ sorry but what :confused::confused::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

What what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I really want Chromeo at picnic, hopefully that leak was true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Yeah from what I've heard anecdotally dont think I'll ever head there. **** crowd, extreme weather, general lack of craic. Better off taking a lesser lineup somewhere fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Yeah from what I've heard anecdotally dont think I'll ever head there. **** crowd, extreme weather, general lack of craic. Better off taking a lesser lineup somewhere fun.

Coachella is pretty much a fashion parade anyway, a photo op for celebrities. Full of rich kids too who tap their parents for money - that's why the crowd are so flat and useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

All that said, I've really enjoyed watching this on YouTube! Some great sets that I've seen so far.

Qotsa, MGMT, future islands, outkast all stand out. Lorde was surprisingly great too. Such a confident and self-assured artist and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

sin0city wrote: »
    Flew over, staying in hotel. I'd say the tents are like furnaces during the day. Crowd is generally chilled the **** out.
    No aggression at all so far.

Not surprising they're more sedate during the day with the heat, you have to pace yourself. Really kicks off when the sun goes down. Talent is ridiculous alright.

So much to see and listen to, first 2 days flew

Cheers for the posts about coachella, plan a trip to that part of the US sometime and want to take it in, what dates is it on?
    How did you manage to get tickets do you mind me asking? Read somewhere that it sold out in 20 mins

BadTurtle wrote: »

I understand some people haven't had a great time there but that wasn't my experience at all. I've been to a lot of festivals at home and a few on the continent and Coachella was by far and away the best festival I've been at. Organisation, line up, general buzz about the place, setting, guaranteed sunshine, grass to walk on, free ice creams given out during the day, quality sound and stages.

The drinking pens can be avoided and even then, they're nicely positioned - one overlooks the main stage and another the Sahara arena.

Regarding the weather, it was about 30 degrees during the day, more around noon as you'd expect in the desert. That's just how it is in Indio, Palm Springs, Palm Desert etc. Gates open at 11am and it cools down around four or five. 4 of the 6 stages are indoors anyway.
    alleystar wrote: »
    Coachella is pretty much a fashion parade anyway, a photo op for celebrities. Full of rich kids too who tap their parents for money - that's why the crowd are so flat and useless.

It's not suprising a lot of celebrities go, given that it's two hours from LA. I'd say you're talking about less tham 1% of the crowd and even then, I'm sure some of them go because they like music.

Not sure about your other generalisations but given that about 160,000 people go over both weekends I don't think that covers everyone there. We saved hard for over a year beforehand.

There were people there from all over the world too. A lot of Kiwi's and Australians and we were talking to a Japanese girl who was there a couple of times before. It's not too far from them over the Pacific.

And my experience of the crowd was great too, at the likes of Queens of the Stone Age, Flume, Bonobo, the Naked and Famous and Arcade fire. If you consider the crowd at the likes of Oxegen good where you've loads of 18 year olds pig drunk and roaring by lunch time then, apart from a few frat boys it's not like that.

Honestly, apart from some lack lustre performances I'd find it hard to fault it. There was a bit of crossover between the 2 outdoor stages sound wise but as soon as the one you were at started up you didn't notice the other. Drink was expensive too if you did't manage to get any in. We had a locker though - I'd recommend it to anyone that goes. Keep clothes and whatever else there for the weekend. It's really handy even if you're camping.

M three wrote: »
    Cheers for the posts about coachella, plan a trip to that part of the US sometime and want to take it in, what dates is it on?
    How did you manage to get tickets do you mind me asking? Read somewhere that it sold out in 20 mins

Hi. You can get package tickets months and months beforehand. They include hotel, shuttle and tickets. They're expensive but we thought they were well worth it. Send me on a pm if you want more info.

Advertisement