Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR messed up pay , am I entitled to be annoyed ?

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi , am drawn to these threads a lot due to my employers , sigh . So here's my latest tale . I put in for a weeks holiday in December . Manager signed off on it , no issues . Get paid by the month , checked payslip last week , no holiday pay . Rang office on Tuesday , got them to confirm I hadn't been paid & they said they would be in touch with HR to sort it out . Office rang , said HR would sort it out and I would be paid by the end of the week . Grand . Checked online account Friday , no holiday wages . Emailed office again , no reply .
    Emailed office Monday , girl apologised for not replying Friday , she wasn't in . Told me again as far as she was told I should have been paid by Friday . She said she would contact HR again to see what's going on . Checked bank again this morning , no holiday pay . Emailed office again ...... Was contacted in the afternoon to ask would I be available to pop into office for a probation ending review on Friday . I said yeah no problem , asked was girl who I had been in touch with about the pay in the office . She said yes . However she asked what did I want her in connection with , I said holiday pay . Cue a pause , then girl tells me that pay will not be paid out til I receive my wages next month .
    Now I'm fit to be tied here & very worried about what I might say during the review . Should I highlight the fact this is not on and lodge a complaint with HR . This is not the first time I have been messed around in regards to pay , I could be here all day about that .
    Looking for the best way to approach it .

Cheers

Lenny

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you checked your contract as to how holiday pay is handled?

If you clock in/out it's possible its postdated?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you checked your contract as to how holiday pay is handled?

If you clock in/out it's possible its postdated?

I clock up my hours by dialing an automated number and putting in a specific id code , when I start , when I finish . It's not Jobsbridge but kinda similar where ya get a sheet for the month , columns of Monday to Sundays & you fill in the hours each day you do . Then at the end of the month you post it back to the office . The girl in the office actually told me the exact amount for my holiday pay but something has gone seriously arie between last Wednesday & Today . I'm just in the mindset like how is it possible they can just come out & say " well actually your not getting your holiday pay for December til Febuary due to a screw up in HR " . Why can't they just transfer it in now ???
    Cheers for the heads up about the contract , will have a look at it tomorrow .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lennyzip wrote: »
    I clock up my hours by dialing an automated number and putting in a specific id code , when I start , when I finish . It's not Jobsbridge but kinda similar where ya get a sheet for the month , columns of Monday to Sundays & you fill in the hours each day you do . Then at the end of the month you post it back to the office . The girl in the office actually told me the exact amount for my holiday pay but something has gone seriously arie between last Wednesday & Today . I'm just in the mindset like how is it possible they can just come out & say " well actually your not getting your holiday pay for December til Febuary due to a screw up in HR " . Why can't they just transfer it in now ???
    Cheers for the heads up about the contract , will have a look at it tomorrow .

It's very likely given that sort of system, that a manager has to authorise pay for any day that you don't work and authorisation is sought at the end of the month for anything in a timecode that indicates holiday, so it's then paid a month later.

Stheno wrote: »
    It's very likely given that sort of system, that a manager has to authorise pay for any day that you don't work and authorisation is sought at the end of the month for anything in a timecode that indicates holiday, so it's then paid a month later.

So will I just highlight I'm not happy about it or do I thrust them & take them at their word that I will be paid . That's a very odd system wherein they say one thing that they will pay , then come out & say they can't & I have to wait til the following month . It's only a part time job , I was relying on the money . I mean is normal practice where you are legally due holiday pay , they mess up & withhold it for another month . I'm baffled by this as it's my first experience been paid this way , had been paid every toe weeks in a previous job for years , never had a problem ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They should be offering to cut you a cheque tomorrow ... IMHO.

• Advertisement

They should be offering to cut you a cheque tomorrow ... IMHO.

This was my train of thought too . Another employee was in a similar situation previously & they sorted it out for her in a few days . Seriously feel hard done by . Trying to put it to the back of my mind for the next few days until the review . Have all these scenarios & conversations imagined playing out :-) . But I feel I'm onto a losing battle . Will ask for written confirmation or an email Friday to confirm I will be paid for these holidays next month . If anything goes wrong I'll be giving them til the summer & then handing in my notice . Luckily I have some time now to look for a new job , had been looking before Xmas anyway but this is even more of an incentive now !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Yes you are entitled to be annoyed, however one piece of advice I will give you. Keep the two things completely separate. Have your end of probation review with a big smile on your face, sign the review document and on the way out of the office bring up the holiday pay again and request a cheque. Owed wages should not be discussed during your probation review.

murphym7 wrote: »
    Yes you are entitled to be annoyed, however one piece of advice I will give you. Keep the two things completely separate. Have your end of probation review with a big smile on your face, sign the review document and on the way out of the office bring up the holiday pay again and request a cheque. Owed wages should not be discussed during your probation review.
    murphym7 wrote: »

Yeah your right , thankfully I've had a few days to calm down . I emailed the HR department the other day looking for clarification on the whole thing . Out of the blue I just got a call bout 40 minutes ago . Girl from HR was lovely on the phone , apologised and said there had been a mistake made . She asked would I like to process the holiday pay now or wait til next months wages . I said now please :-) . I will only be fully relieved about it when I see the money but I plan not to speak anymore about it at the review tomorrow . As you said , keep both things separate . Thanks for the advice !

Well after two weeks finally got my holiday pay :-) . Thanks to those who replied ! HR eventually sorted it out and paid it straight in . Hope I don't have to go through this again , lots of unnecessary stress which could have been easily avoided if people just did their jobs correctly ....

Advertisement