Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

water heating issue

• 14-01-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a 300lt insulated copper cylinder in hot press. It is gas heated. How long should it take to heat the water? At the moment we have it set for 2 hours in the morning and we just get 4 showers out of this. However, when we put it on in the afternoon for another hour it is barely warm enough for one shower. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Is there another zone on at the same time when heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

shane0007 wrote: »
    Is there another zone on at the same time when heating?
    No. We usually just flick the water on for the hour but sometimes we might put the heating on too. But even if it is just the water on it is still only slightly warm after the hour.

If nothing changes within the parameters of the system & the cylinder, then I'd be looking at the boiler.
    What make & model boiler is it?
    Has the heating side being on previous to when the hw is on for the 2 hour time?
    2 hours seems a lot of time required to heat a 300 litre cylinder so perhaps the boiler is not set correctly or is very much under-sized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Sounds like the zone valve is gone and your only getting residual heat from the pipes. When you turn on the heating can you hear the valve turning?

Not completely sure, Baxi System Boiler 60/100 ? Does that mean anything? My hubby said it seemed to be taking too long aswell. There's no heating on in the morning, just have the water heating for 2 hours which gives us enough hot water for the 4 showers and a bit of warm water to wash dishes ;)

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Sounds like the zone valve is gone and your only getting residual heat from the pipes. When you turn on the heating can you hear the valve turning?
    I don't know what that'd sound like? There's a few noises but I think that's just the unit clicking on and a low hum of the boiler?
    It's a relatively new timer thingy with 3 different zones I think : water/downstairs/upstairs

At a guess, I reckon it's a boiler issue. If the system is not fully zoned, I would think you don't have a zone valve for HW.
    You could check the cylinder balancing valve. It could be turned down too much which would also give you a much slower heat up time.

shane0007 wrote: »
    At a guess, I reckon it's a boiler issue. If the system is not fully zoned, I would think you don't have a zone valve for HW.
    You could check the cylinder balancing valve. It could be turned down too much which would also give you a much slower heat up time.
    I'll show the hubby these posts and see if he can sort something out then. Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement