Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL server linked servers help

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

I have an exam tomorrow and have a sample question I can't answer.
    Can someone help please :(

Its stating there is a linked server in Australia called melbourne' which is linked to a local one called Sligo. Which code would be best to get a query to execute on it.

SELECT *
    FROM OPENROWSET ([MELBOURNE])
    , 'SELECT * FROM
    product_tbl

OR

SELECT *
    FROM OPENQUERY ([MELBOURNE])
    , 'SELECT * FROM
    product_tbl

OR

' SELECT * FROM product_tbl')
    In (OPENQUERY([MELBOURNE])

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Think your 2nd query is closest of the 3.

Its been a while but I think it should be something like:

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY (MELBOURNE, 'SELECT * FROM product_tbl')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Neither of the three.

OpenRowSet , OpenDataSource and the like are for situations where no linked server setup exists.
    Typically these statements include all the credentials to query the database, like servername, username, password etc.

When querying a linked server you simply use the fully qualified name, for example:

select * from [melbourne].[mydatabase].[dbo].[product_tbl]

On top of the linked server setup you need to make sure your database user & password are lined up too.

Of course this is too late for your exam and you probably know the answer by now, but wanted to post for everyones benefit anyway.

Advertisement