Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tanks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

delaval wrote: »
    Lads it's a stainless steel container, cooling system and washer unit

Service contract, it can phuck up weekly still won't cost you.

Two tanks we have here are 20 years old and near 35 yes old. Only thing ever gone wrong is the cogs in the agitator and relays. Ring the local lad and he is always here within the day if possoble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Sam Kade wrote: »
    4k L secondhand is 5k fitted. Do you have to be under 40 to get the grant?

No, but it closed in Dec! No news about a new one opening again, I wouldn't hold my breath. That price isn't too bad, they always need a new compressor etc anyways. I saw one or two 2nd hand 4400L tanks for about 6500, crazy money 2bh.

Two tanks we have here are 20 years old and near 35 yes old. Only thing ever gone wrong is the cogs in the agitator and relays. Ring the local lad and he is always here within the day if possoble

Out of interest do many of yas know what way the insurance works on lost milk in your tanks! We lost almost a full tank of milk awhile ago, when the cooling system in the tank failed (water got into the electrics), the milk wasnt fit for collection, which Glanbia confirmed and all that in writing, alongside an estimated collection amount based on the previous collection, I think the value of the milk was about 1300quid, but FBD told us our policy only covered us up to a value of 700quid, so that was all we got! So just a word of warning to check that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Timmaay wrote: »
    Out of interest do many of yas know what way the insurance works on lost milk in your tanks! We lost almost a full tank of milk awhile ago, when the cooling system in the tank failed (water got into the electrics), the milk wasnt fit for collection, which Glanbia confirmed and all that in writing, alongside an estimated collection amount based on the previous collection, I think the value of the milk was about 1300quid, but FBD told us our policy only covered us up to a value of 700quid, so that was all we got! So just a word of warning to check that!
    at renewal they normally go through policy, they normally ask what value you put the milk at, they do this annually here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

biddy2013 wrote: »
    at renewal they normally go through policy, they normally ask what value you put the milk at, they do this annually here

Always value the tank full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TopCon

Ordered an 11kL.Only slightly disadvantaged is it only has a 2 1/2 hp compressor.

Are you sure it's only a 2.5 hp compressor?

[QUOTE=Deepsouthwest; most tanks sold in Ireland are just a lump of stainless steel all cooled by a cope land scroll compressors, except darikool who have the flooded system. [/QUOTE]

Mueller don't use direct expansion. Darikool use copeland scrolls too but different process.
    Have a Kilkenny ice bank at the moment, didn't give any trouble. Priced Delaval tank, 1100 euro between 9700 and 11000 litre tank. Maybe this increases running costs tho for the sake of extra unneeded capacity for now.
    Are the new Kilkenny tanks as good as the other manufactures ?
    Anyone consider putting in or already have put in a heat exchanger ?

Running costs should not be higher. Ice bank tanks IMO not suited to higher volumes and quicker milking times. Takes longer to build ice than cool milk with direct ex. Variable speed pumps or diaphragm a necessity with ice banks as electric pump pushes milk through plate cooler too fast.

Heat exchanger a waste of time as an efficient cooling setup will not be running long enough to make huge difference heating water.

If you mean plate cooler I think best suited to those with well water. But are a great help cooling. Use run off for volume washer. Its a waste of time if you've an electric pump pushing milk through too fast.
    delaval wrote: »
    Lads it's a stainless steel container, cooling system and washer unit
    Service contract, it can phuck up weekly still won't cost you.

I disagree. It's a considerable investment. A reliable setup should not require service contract for at least 5yrs. Considering contract for 2 compressors and washer can be over 500e per year it's an expense. Most likely the biggest contributor to your esb bill. A good washer essential in keeping tbc down and not using too much hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Daniel1122

be careful when buying the tank, there will be a difference in price if getting 1 or two compressors.
    muller or packo are the tank in the market. I bought a liscarroll tank myself, had one previously. dairymaster keep will clear of there tanks they are not fully tested yet, they use farm for there R & D, and if something goes wrong you will be paying dairymaster for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Have any of you guys solid prices that ye can post to compare and see who is the movers and the shakers????

TopCon wrote: »
    Are you sure it's only a 2.5 hp compressor?

Just double checked, i was wrong, its a 5hp, was an option to put in a 2nd 5hp compressor, but the salesman said not to bother unless I expected to be filling the tank to the brim regularly, and instead to spend the money on a good platecooler.

Just double checked, i was wrong, its a 5hp, was an option to put in a 2nd 5hp compressor, but the salesman said not to bother unless I expected to be filling the tank to the brim regularly, and instead to spend the money on a good platecooler.

He wanted to do the same with us but when we had the packo lad in the yard, his price was dearer but only because he was giving us two compressors not one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Daniel1122

darikool 8600. litres 5HP compressor €18500. dairymaster 8000 litres 5HP com €18500
    muller 8200 litres 5HP com €21500. Liscarrol 8350 litres 2x 3.5 HP com €21500

but the salesman said not to bother.

You might want to check your quotes again against others who may have been pricing 2 units as greengrass said.

They are guaranteed sale of second unit (probably at greater cost to you in long run) once the tank is in.

11kl I think should have 2units. I know the flooded evap gets stick from competitors but I've seen it first hand and it does cool good. running well I believe the mueller is the only one to cool faster.

You mentioned "filling to the brim regularly". That should only be an issue at peak volume for perhaps a month. For example if you are full to the brim in September you obviously didn't have enough space for may etc.
    have you two day collection.

Really you should be allowing for expansion. However I did see your earlier post regarding post 2015 so understand your reasons for not going all out on size.

I think the 11k darikool with one 5hp compressor was in around the 21k, hard to separate the price as I've included a plate cooler and afew other bits with it. Also, I've a deal done already, and I was told the prices was due to go up (which could be salesman talk in fairness!)

TopCon wrote: »
    You mentioned "filling to the brim regularly". That should only be an issue at peak volume for perhaps a month. For example if you are full to the brim in September you obviously didn't have enough space for may etc.
    have you two day collection.

That tank will allow me 3days storage of about 150 spring calvers all knocking out 25L in June, which would allow me to stock my grazing block at 3.4cow/ha. God knows what other land might showup in time surrounding me but in fairness it would be pointless going any bigger, I'm already jumping from 3500L up to 11k ha, my dad and one or two of the neighbours say I'm mad as is :P

I think the 11k darikool with one 5hp compressor was in around the 21k, hard to separate the price as I've included a plate cooler and afew other bits with it. Also, I've a deal done already, and I was told the prices was due to go up (which could be salesman talk in fairness!)

Whatever way ya look at it that's a damn good deal. :cool:

Even if you do end up putting in a 2nd unit your still doing well.

bimping this up for milk profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

bimping this up for milk profit

geez biddy good job ya did n hit the p letter instead of the b in that last post :p

loveta wrote: »
    geez biddy good job ya did n hit the p letter instead of the b in that last post :p

Fecking phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I,m thinking of getting a new packo direct expansion tank,anyone have any good/bad experience with this type of tank or is there a better make,or would a ice bank be better/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Should a new tank not come with a 5 year guarantee
    Like most new cars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

farmerjj wrote: »
    I,m thinking of getting a new packo direct expansion tank,anyone have any good/bad experience with this type of tank or is there a better make,or would a ice bank be better/

I have a Packo direct expansion for 4 yrs now ( it's outdoors). Fine tank no issues whatsoever. Great to wash. Never a problem with TBCs I got a third dose pump in to fire a shot of peracetic acid in on the last wash, as an insurance policy. I have just one compressor on it running 1 evaporator plate, fine for the moment. But in 2015 when the tank gets filled I'm going to add an ice builder and a second plate cooler. I'll probably stick with one compressor, because my electricity supply isn't good enough to supply parlour + 2 compressors + extras.

milkprofit wrote: »
    Should a new tank not come with a 5 year guarantee
    Like most new cars

I think the darikool I'm getting has a 5yr guarantee on the compressor, and a 25yr guarantee on the tank itself.

I think the darikool I'm getting has a 5yr guarantee on the compressor, and a 25yr guarantee on the tank itself.

Is there any need to pay service contract on it in first 5 years
    did u get guarantee in writing

can you pm me a number please... i bought my milk tank of them when i started out, they couldnt have been more helpful. i have 2 tanks now a 550 kilkenny and a 1000 gallon icebank, want to get rid and just have 1

yea found kk good i have a 1450 gal kk ice bank to sell when i buy new one what would it be worth also a 250 dari kool ice bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

yea found kk good i have a 1450 gal kk ice bank to sell when i buy new one what would it be worth also a 250 dari kool ice bank

Are you selling coolers?

Tank worth €1/ gallon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eamonn001

Hi all, I am thinking of buying a new tank in the not too distant future. Anyways I was on Done Deal the other night and came across a crowd in Kerry doing the Serap tank in Ireland, they seem to be pretty good outfit, the website might be worth a look
    www.omahonyrefrigeration.ie

Is there any need to pay service contract on it in first 5 years
    did u get guarantee in writing

Service contract definitely isnt 5yrs, I cant remember now is it 1 or 2 years. Actually out of interest, what does the glanbia service/insurance for the tank cover? Will I still need that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Lads anyone got quotes for a new tank around 6000 lts lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Lads anyone got quotes for a new tank around 6000 lts lately?

I have a Kilkenny 6,500 lt ice bank tank and probably a plate cooler to go with it looking for a new home

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    I have a Kilkenny 6,500 lt ice bank tank and probably a plate cooler to go with it looking for a new home

Still? Seen that on DD a few weeks ago

Advertisement