Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

New tank up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Still? Seen that on DD a few weeks ago

Yea haven't really pushed it as it was in use till last week. Got new tank mid march but had to wait as there was a delay in getting 3 phase hooked up
    Still she was going in time to carry milk over to this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

dar31 wrote: »
    New tank up and running

Lovely job.
    How do ye find it?

Yea haven't really pushed it as it was in use till last week. Got new tank mid march but had to wait as there was a delay in getting 3 phase hooked up
    Still she was going in time to carry milk over to this year

Were in the market for a new tank too but thinking of getting a tide over tank for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

I have a Kilkenny 6,500 lt ice bank tank and probably a plate cooler to go with it looking for a new home

Thanks dar but prob won't go ice bank. How did you find the kilkenny tank by the way? Anyone opinions on Dari cool. Got quoted 17700 for one, packo 18200 a 6600 and 6000lts reespectaivily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭cjpm

Thanks dar but prob won't go ice bank. How did you find the kilkenny tank by the way? Anyone opinions on Dari cool. Got quoted 17700 for one, packo 18200 a 6600 and 6000lts reespectaivily

Ice bank are a great job if you have a two stage plate cooler fitted.

Also they are the Cheapest way to cool milk if using night rate elec, proved by teagasc

Also a lot of guys are having huge problems running large direct exp tanks while milking, power supply can't handle both. Esb want big money to upgrade lines so not really a runner....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TopCon

cjpm wrote: »

Also they are the Cheapest way to cool milk if using night rate elec, proved by teagasc

Also a lot of guys are having huge problems running large direct exp tanks while milking, power supply can't handle both. Esb want big money to upgrade lines so not really a runner....

Complete and utter tripe. Why would you come on to this thread and spout rubbish.

Have you an ice bank for sale on dd or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Were in the market for a new tank too but thinking of getting a tide over tank for this year
    i will be slling 2 a 550 kilkenny tank and 1000 gallon dari kool tank

whelan2 wrote: »
    i will be slling 2 a 550 kilkenny tank and 1000 gallon dari kool tank

Haha I'm looking to go to one tank.
    Hove two 2000l ice bank and DX tanks at the minute.
    Pain having to wash them everyday

Haha I'm looking to go to one tank.
    Hove two 2000l ice bank and DX tanks at the minute.
    Pain having to wash them everyday
    ye i am getting too old for climbing in and out of milk tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Have a dairycool, 12000litre basic, had a problem 2 weeks ago with wires heating in the control box for the compressors. lad reckoned it was the electricity problems of the last few months. it was free as it fell into the warranty just on that day! i wish i had got the display for litres tho! Other than that grand tank, doesnt need much water to clean either as my old water heater isnt that big. i got the grant but i had to knock a wall for 3ft on 3 sides but it was worth it, no more cleaning out the tank at 5:30 in the morning! think it was around 27k before grant- 15 after vat back

TopCon wrote: »
    Complete and utter tripe. Why would you come on to this thread and spout rubbish.

Why would you say it's tripe? Have been looking ate this and have come to the conclusion he may be correct in his analysis ?

TopCon wrote: »

Were will have to upgrade our electric supply here to put in a new DX tank because when we go to put a new parlouemr in as well the power won't be there to run both so were looking in the ice bank direction.
    Its either spend and extra 2 k for the tank or give the ESB the 2k to upgrade the supply

id upgrade the supply if it means more efficiency and for further expansion if your going that way

kevthegaff wrote: »
    id upgrade the supply if it means more efficiency and for further expansion if your going that way

I'd second that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

cjpm wrote: »

ice bank are the least efficient way of cooling milk. you freeze water and then pump this water around the tank so cool milk. how much power does it use??

annually direct expansion cools 87 litres of milk per kilowatt hour. ice bank cools 45 litres per kilowatt hour. the only way that it is 'cheap' is if the water is chilled at 100% night rate electricity. if you have night rate then more than likely there will be some milk cooled at night rate.

if you are on 100% night saver with ice bank to cool 4500 litres to 3 deg costs 8.00 if you used 50% night saver on same litres and rate to 4 deg costs 7.97

all above from http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/farm_management/buildings/milkingEquipment/milk_cooling/MilkCoolingPresentation.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

Have a dairycool, 12000litre basic, had a problem 2 weeks ago with wires heating in the control box for the compressors. lad reckoned it was the electricity problems of the last few months. it was free as it fell into the warranty just on that day! i wish i had got the display for litres tho! Other than that grand tank, doesnt need much water to clean either as my old water heater isnt that big. i got the grant but i had to knock a wall for 3ft on 3 sides but it was worth it, no more cleaning out the tank at 5:30 in the morning! think it was around 27k before grant- 15 after vat back

11000 litre darikool here, going well, what temperature does your tank go up to on the main wash kev? water heater here is too small, think 150-170 litres is about the go??

Anyone have a westfalia ? Are they any good?

John_F wrote: »
    ice bank are the least efficient way of cooling milk. you freeze water and then pump this water around the tank so cool milk. how much power does it use??

annually direct expansion cools 87 litres of milk per kilowatt hour. ice bank cools 45 litres per kilowatt hour. the only way that it is 'cheap' is if the water is chilled at 100% night rate electricity. if you have night rate then more than likely there will be some milk cooled at night rate.

if you are on 100% night saver with ice bank to cool 4500 litres to 3 deg costs 8.00 if you used 50% night saver on same litres and rate to 4 deg costs 7.97

all above from http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/farm_management/buildings/milkingEquipment/milk_cooling/MilkCoolingPresentation.pdf

So I guess a plate cooler with a dx would be more economical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Have darikool dx 6,500 here bout 6 years, hopefully upgrading next year to 13,000 or 15,000 c how the new grants fall, think we will be sticking with them, reasonably priced and excellent service difficult to move away.

• Advertisement

I never checked John, the water coming out of the heater is piping hot, couldnt touch it. id say its a 20gl heater

I never checked John, the water coming out of the heater is piping hot, couldnt touch it. id say its a 20gl heater

What make of heater have u kev? On a timer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

John_F wrote: »
    11000 litre darikool here, going well, what temperature does your tank go up to on the main wash kev? water heater here is too small, think 150-170 litres is about the go??

Same tank as u john,heater is a 250 Ltrs heat recovery tank which pulls heat from compressors when cooling milk.its a great job ,don't have plate cooler but have 2 compressors which on first milking will have milk down to 3.5 degrees 20 minutes after milking.it heats water to near 50 degrees when washing tank.it is also wired up to timer so if I want ur hotter I can have it on a timer.if I had a plate cooler compressors wouldn't be going as long and water would be cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Currently have 5000L packo ice bank with plate cooler, have to upgrade as can only hold 3 milkings at peak, was looking at getting a 15000L DX tank, will the single phase be an issue running parlour with the tank? Have a 10 unit parlour, was hoping to upgrade to 14 but will need a second pump and perhaps a bigger motor, but if power will be an issue the extra units can be left off and just do tank and feeders for the moment

Not sure ill have alook its rusted and everything, got it for free with the milking machine. works the finest. have it on a timer during the year but on constantly for these coupe of months for heating beastings and milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

i have for sale a kk ice bank tank 6500 lt and a1100 lt dari kool what are they worth

had sales rep out this morning from dairymaster , looks a good tank does anyone have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

whelan2 wrote: »
    had sales rep out this morning from dairymaster , looks a good tank does anyone have one?

Don't have one but priced one last year and there 2k dearer than the next nearest, they look like a nice tank though.

ye , rang packo agent a while ago and he didnt show, rang dairymaster this morning and rep was in my yard half an hour later

• Advertisement

anyone have a mueller tank?

Advertisement