Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tanks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

whelan2 wrote: »
    had sales rep out this morning from dairymaster , looks a good tank does anyone have one?

Dairymaster have lots of fancy gadgets! More to go wrong. That said heard of someone with new mueller n had trouble
    darikool are probably cheapest but basic and quality questionable in my opinion.
    Packo have probably best washer of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ye , rang packo agent a while ago and he didnt show, rang dairymaster this morning and rep was in my yard half an hour later

ya mind me asking what was his name???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

had sales rep out this morning from dairymaster , looks a good tank does anyone have one?

bought a dairymaster 14850 dx after, have been using it since end march, no problems and happy with it. got 3 phase compressors, two 5.5hp ones instead of the single 10hp 0ne, was a bit dearer but a bit more security.
    price wise, it was the same price roughly from the main 3 suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

ye , rang packo agent a while ago and he didnt show, rang dairymaster this morning and rep was in my yard half an hour later

packo agent my neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

td5man wrote: »
    packo agent my neighbour?
    WILL ask him if he arrives, did you buy off him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

WILL ask him if he arrives, did you buy off him?

Nope secondhand packo from the dairymaster agents brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I bought a secondhand packo ice bank tank 1000 gallon. I was told they were reliable. I won't be getting it installed until November. I was going to get a two stage plate cooler and circulate the ice water from the tank.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I bought a secondhand packo ice bank tank 1000 gallon. I was told they were reliable. I won't be getting it installed until November. I was going to get a two stage plate cooler and circulate the ice water from the tank.
    how much was the tank pm me if you want? i have a 1000gallon and a 550 gallon tank in my deal to get rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

how much was the tank pm me if you want? i have a 1000gallon and a 550 gallon tank in my deal to get rid of
    It's a 2003 tank, I paid €5800+vat that includes delivery and installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭visatorro

Doesn't sound overly cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm still bloody waiting on the dept to approve my grant, utter pain in the hole. I have a darikool tank sitting waiting to be delivered and installed but I can't go ahead with it until the grant is approved. Meanwhile I don't have space for 2day collection anymore so have to pump milk in a mobile tanker and leave it in that overnight. Compressor on the main tank is fairly shook by now also, fingers crossed that it doesn't give up the ghost before the new tank comes.

visatorro wrote: »
    Doesn't sound overly cheap

I'd assume he got a new compressor on it, which is where the money adds up. Bigger tanks work out much cheaper per litre of storage, but ya got to draw the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TopCon

anyone have a mueller tank?

The mueller tank will not be matched by any of the others in terms of build quality.

Cooling process mueller use is well proven and efficient. There is a reason why they are expensive. However other brands salesmen sometimes price themselves up depending on the customer. I understand Expensive isn't always best so be aware.

Dairymaster also expensive but I can't see how they justify it. Dont quite have the build quality. I understand they have useful features but they should be producing pretty cheap plus they don't have to import the tanks like darikool etc.
    They are also in the game a very short while. One of their main selling points claim of extra insulation in tank keeping milk cooler. its just sales talk. This is going to make minimal difference to efficiency.

To me it's simple enough. If your type of person who likes to have the best of everything mueller is only option.

If you want to max value for money darikool maybe packo best option.

Just watch for things like are 2 units in prices etc. also important which tank shape best allows for both storage capacity and practicality in the dairy.

Worth considering also is some brands use sub contractors to install tanks who will not quite provide the service a direct employee of brand. At the end of the day no matter what brand your tank is its all about breakdown service.

another consideration is how much work has to be done to accomodate a new tank, minimal work required to get dairymaster one in here, will see what packo say and will give mueller a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

just after having a look at this tread and was wondering if there was ever any talk of coops supplying milk tanks to farm, over here what ever company you supply owns the tank and the farmer owns the refrigeration equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭visatorro

I have daricool tank now. Happy with it. Will never deal with dairymaster again. The product and salesmen annoyed me

dar31 wrote: »
    bought a dairymaster 14850 dx after, have been using it since end march, no problems and happy with it. got 3 phase compressors, two 5.5hp ones instead of the single 10hp 0ne, was a bit dearer but a bit more security.
    price wise, it was the same price roughly from the main 3 suppliers
    did you get digi control or cool control?

trixi2011 wrote: »
    just after having a look at this tread and was wondering if there was ever any talk of coops supplying milk tanks to farm, over here what ever company you supply owns the tank and the farmer owns the refrigeration equipment

Fat chance here!!

when calculating the amount for the grant do you use the figure before vat or after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

when calculating the amount for the grant do you use the figure before vat or after?

Before vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

Just reading this thread who did you end up going with, and has anyone any more opinions on their new tanks a few months on . Currently looking around here

Got a darakool 11kl, simply because it was the cheapest tank on the market, zero issues since installing it over 6 months ago, once you are getting a good reliable compressor like a copland (which is what darakool use), then the tank itself doesn't matter, just a few huge rolled sheets of stainless.

Tim I hope your tank continues to give trouble free use and hopefully it will, but there have been some issues with their wash lines leaking in the centre of the tank so they now run qualpex along the outside also the evaporator plates have been known to crack in them . I'm not saying they are all going to be like this but they are cheaper for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

Yeah Dari kool rep coming here next week , I hadn't really considered them till I read the thread , I've been talking to most of the others bar packo who haven't got back to me yet .

Tim I hope your tank continues to give trouble free use and hopefully it will, but there have been some issues with their wash lines leaking in the centre of the tank so they now run qualpex along the outside also the evaporator plates have been known to crack in them . I'm not saying they are all going to be like this but they are cheaper for a reason

Useful info, can I check for either of these problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Darikool here and no issues, wash lines are as you say, but as far as I know the uncles packo ice bank is the same.
    If anything the other makes evaporator is more at risk as Darikool has pump down system to remove refrigerant when compressor is off I.e. At washing when hot meets cold. As far as I know muller don't have a pump down system.
    Darikool also have 25 year warranty on the evaporator I thought??

Our tank is in 4 years or so and no problems, they all say they have a poor wash system, no issue here just keep the water hot enough, as all tanks I'm sure

oooge1 wrote: »
    Just reading this thread who did you end up going with, and has anyone any more opinions on their new tanks a few months on . Currently looking around here
    i bought a packo, in about 2 months, so far so good

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Darikool here and no issues, wash lines are as you say, but as far as I know the uncles packo ice bank is the same.
    If anything the other makes evaporator is more at risk as Darikool has pump down system to remove refrigerant when compressor is off I.e. At washing when hot meets cold. As far as I know muller don't have a pump down system.
    Darikool also have 25 year warranty on the evaporator I thought??

Our tank is in 4 years or so and no problems, they all say they have a poor wash system, no issue here just keep the water hot enough, as all tanks I'm sure

That's why they pump it down because they had metal fatigue problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

bought a 15k/l dairymaster in the end, it was the cheapest of dairymaster, muller and packo. liked it from the start not taking into account money.
    been in use 8 months now and no major problems and washes well, check it every fortnight and no sign of build ups so far
    went for the cool control model with bottom fill,3 phase with two 5hp Copeland compressors instead of the single 10 hp offered at first

• Advertisement

Regardless which tank you buy a plate cooler set up properly will cut your cooling costs by half . Also if you had the tank cooling on night rate electricity this will help as well .

Advertisement