Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Newbie

• 15-01-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning to get my first bike soon, have always been a lover of fast things on 4 wheels...But with a longer commute across the city everyday I'm looking to get a bike.

I'm 28 so looking to apply for "A class" permit.

I have found it quite difficult to get all the info from the new NDLS.ie website & RSA. I've emailed yesterday and tried to call but still no response / answer.

So hoping someone could shed some light here who's been through it before.

Although the theory tests are the same for bike and car, I read (here) that I'll have to do it again regardless of whether I completed previously? Are many of the q's different, and is it possible to get the material online?

Once I pass this, is it possible to apply by post for my new permit, surely they have all my details to hand, so no need for the face to face appointment (which is pretty much booked out apart from citywest). Seems quite difficult to get an appointment.

Should I apply for the theory test at the same time as the ndls to cut down on the time for the overall process?

I've read the IBT course has to be completed before the permit is granted but then other friends have said the ndls do not request this proof its purely for production if the insurance comp request it.

If it's a long drawn out process, perhaps it's too early to start looking at bikes. Saw a couple and was hoping to view this weekend, but perhaps I should wait a while as the bike will only be sitting idle outside (potentially uninsured) while I'm waiting to get my permit sorted.

Any advice / experience you have to share woupd be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

1. there are around 5 bike specific questions in the 40 question test from my experience.

2. none of the other places are booked out, citywest is the only place taking reservations online at the moment. everywhere else is walk-in only right now. takes around 40 minutes in cork at least, no idea about elsewhere.

3. you only need to apply for citywest if going elsewhere just walk in with the forms all ready to go and you'll be doing well.

4. you must have your learner permit Before you book your ibt as the instructor will need your driver number. your learner permit is only valid for use on the road unsupervised by a qualified instructor if you have IBT completed.

5. If you've never ridden a bike before wait til after your IBT is done. In fact, it's probably best to wait even if you have because the temptation to take her out would be huge....

Book your theory test right now for the soonest possible date and just brush up on the rules particularly those concerning motorbikes. it'll take no time to know them again.

Then you go to NDLS and get your learner permit which will take 5+ weeks to arrive... the day it arrives book your IBT, which will take around 3 weeks for the RSA to come back to the instructor with some code or some such that they need. You'll be on the bike by summer. It's far FAR more drawn out than when i started a year and a half ago, but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭niallu

Hey Minidazzler,

Thanks for that, great overview :)

It's a pretty long drawn out process alright.

Gonna pull the finger out today and book the theory test.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Pass theory test. www.theorytest.ie
    Apply for permit at an ndls office www.ndls.ie
    When you get your plastic card permit, book your IBT.
    No waiting around for codes, the ibt trainer will slot you in asap.

Codes are only needed from the rsa when ibt training was done already.
    example : A25kw to A unrestricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭niallu

Cheers,

I've applied online for the theory test and gonna swat up this weekend.

I''ll post up a pic when I get my bike.

I'm between two minds, whether to start of an a 125 / ninja 250 and keep it until I pass my test...or going straight for a 600 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do ibt first, then you will know which would be best for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement