Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Dublin Night Cycling ??????

• 15-01-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

hey folks

Im thinking of doing an 1hr + night cycling on the road bike

starting next week. anything organised?

any tips folks, welcome to join

high vis + lights essential.

25-30km pace, 30-40km distance.

CH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Where would you be starting and approx time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Not sure about the pace I was up the mountains last Tuesday evening and my downhill was seriously slow for safety reasons I was focusing on hill climbing though.
    Interested.....

My tip lights, lights and more lights.......
    Head light too and keep very alert.
    On unlit roads were I've been keep close to the edge as cars are expecting headlights as an oncoming warning of something approaching they aren't expecting a bike. Most cars tend to be moving at speed and in the middle of the road.
    Handy velcro led flashers in Lidl (€7 quidish) for legs and arms....arms for indicators....
    Decent reflective jacket...On coming cars have full beams on and some don't dip them this will cause a moment of blindness as they pass and you are back to your own lighting. It takes a moment to re adjust your eyesight. (travelling on the N81)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Not sure about the pace I was up the mountains last Tuesday evening and my downhill was seriously slow for safety reasons I was focusing on hill climbing though.
    Interested.....

Riding at night, certainly on unlit roads in countryside brings the speed down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Your experience of cars not dipping their lights may be down to them wanting to see the glow off the reflective strips on your clothing. Cyclecraft mentions something about it. I guess you could use your hand to "flash" your headlight, but some people go nuts if they feel they're being chastised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

On coming cars have full beams on and some don't dip them this will cause a moment of blindness as they pass and you are back to your own lighting. It takes a moment to re adjust your eyesight. (travelling on the N81)

For night time cycling, wear a cap so you can just dip your head slightly letting the peak of the cap block the full beam of the oncoming cars.
    The last few weeks I've been night cycling along Lower Rd and out to Newcastle Rd (some parts are pitch black), I have good lights, night vision tights and Night vision gilet - seems to work well, cars give me lots of space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

budget-hi-viz-waist-coat-4577-p.jpg

One of these is a necessity if you're on unlit roads.

I've a 300 Lumen light which would be the min you'd need on unlit roads too. A high spec rear light and back up front light would be recommended too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

CatFromHue wrote: »
    budget-hi-viz-waist-coat-4577-p.jpg

One of these is a necessity if you're on unlit roads.

I've a 300 Lumen light which would be the min you'd need on unlit roads too. A high spec rear light and back up front light would be recommended too.

Plus one on this..

I have a 1300 lumen front light which is brilliant for the backroads here in Wicklow-I would however advise you to wear clear glasses as both tree branches and briars etc can catch you quite unawares:eek:

It's more the cars coming from behind that I worry about, so a good rear light (or 2) as well as a helmet rear light and high viz are essential.

It's a lot of fun though!

Dublin city by moonlight....last night

Another tip make sure all your light fittings etc haven't come loose before you leave....watch for mad rabbits/hares little fecker wouldn't stop running in front of me as I had lost my main light due to the fitting rattling loose.....

bxjk.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Last night was a great night for cycling!

Where did you take that picture from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

"Another tip make sure all your light fittings etc haven't come loose before you leave...."

Isn't that the truth, tightened the bracket of my secondary front light last evening and it was wobbling loose after half an hour. Some of those fittings are pure sh1te.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Last night was a great night for cycling!

Where did you take that picture from?

Yes visibility was unreal with the fullish moon, now I've figured out how to do a panoramic shot on my phone I will try again this evening for a better shot.....

If I told you.....there would be too many night time cyclists taking me on up that very steep hill just off the N81 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

think i know where that is, & it's a real steep one!

mickeycav wrote: »
    think i know where that is, & it's a real steep one!

Tis indeed;)

piw4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hey folks
    great pics, nice to see im not alone ,was out on wednesday. fantastic moon for cycling !

Im based in cabinteely, with is ideal for greystones-wicklow tallaght areas.

tues wed thurs next week?

6-8pm

let me know, ill be going out anyhow, its just that i go further with a grup

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hey folks
    great pics, nice to see im not alone ,was out on wednesday. fantastic moon for cycling !

Im based in cabinteely, with is ideal for greystones-wicklow tallaght areas.

tues wed thurs next week?

6-8pm

let me know, ill be going out anyhow, its just that i go further with a grup

Lazarius,
    I've ordered new lights so going to stay local in the Tallaght hills for now working on my climbing,
    As soon as I have the new ones on I'll give you a shout my aim is to do 100km over Wickla gap and back by Sally gap at night in the next month :cool:
    I've another lad convinced to do it so you'd be welcome.

Advertisement