Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barrow wheelers 100k new ross

• 15-01-2014 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

I was looking for an early season sportive and noticed the barrow wheelers 100k at the end of January has anyone done it before? Seems pretty flat but I wouldn't mind that so much as an early one this time of the year.

If I was closer I'd definitely give it a go but it's going to be over 2 hours each way so if anyone has done it before can you let me know what you thought? I'm not sure if it's more a local thing or if it attracts people from all over. What sort of numbers do they get?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

I don't do too many sportives but I've done this the last few years and will again this year. Great event, not sure exactly how many last year, somewhere around 100 I would think.

The first 25k is generally controlled, which is a nice gentle start.... then the pace kicks up from Waterford! ;) Brilliant fun, mad pace at the front, but there'll be plenty of groups on the road if you want to take it a bit easier!

Loads of grub at the finish too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm in horrible shape but I'm tempted all the same..Anyone got a link to the map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭531

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

Super spin this is and they do plenty of eyeballing too,especially after it goes thru Waterford and gets past the red bridge station,open season then they say :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

531 wrote: »

Nice route. I'd most probably be up for it, but it clashes with my daughters birthday party

• Advertisement

Pawlie wrote: »
    Super spin this is and they do plenty of eyeballing too,especially after it goes thru Waterford and gets past the red bridge station,open season then they say :-)

Yes, it seems to have turned into a bit of a day for the racers to suss each other out and see who trained well over the Winter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

531 wrote: »
    Yes, it seems to have turned into a bit of a day for the racers to suss each other out and see who trained well over the Winter!

The only difference between the Barrow 100 and the first race of the season is that there no points given out at the end of the Barrow!

MichealD wrote: »
    The only difference between the Barrow 100 and the first race of the season is that there no points given out at the end of the Barrow!
    only way of describing it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

iv only done maybe 5-6 sportives last year and certainly no races so might give it a miss and wait for something else to come up in the next few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

iv only done maybe 5-6 sportives last year and certainly no races so might give it a miss and wait for something else to come up in the next few weeks!

Not trying to put you off with the race comment. It's a great early season event and whether you're a racer of tourer you will enjoy it. The route is good - not massive hills but lumpy withs lots of drags. Plenty of food at the finish and banter along the way.

There's a lot of racing lads who use it as a test and enjoy it for that. Likewise there are loads of sportive riders who take part, say good luck to the racers and enjoy the day.

My view is tempered by trying to stay with a fast group a few years ago when obviously not in condition for it and getting painfully blown out after 50kms!

If your looking for an event do it.

• Advertisement

MichealD wrote: »
    Not trying to put you off with the race comment. It's a great early season event and whether you're a racer of tourer you will enjoy it. The route is good - not massive hills but lumpy withs lots of drags. Plenty of food at the finish and banter along the way.

There's a lot of racing lads who use it as a test and enjoy it for that. Likewise there are loads of sportive riders who take part, say good luck to the racers and enjoy the day.

My view is tempered by trying to stay with a fast group a few years ago when obviously not in condition for it and getting painfully blown out after 50kms!

If your looking for an event do it.

Cool well if there's a few non racers aswell il probably give it a go then. Thought it would be a better idea for me to start earlier this year so I'm in better condition by spring and into the summer. Sure il give it a go and see how I get on

Cool well if there's a few non racers aswell il probably give it a go then. Thought it would be a better idea for me to start earlier this year so I'm in better condition by spring and into the summer. Sure il give it a go and see how I get on

Agh jesus dont not go and do it,its a day out more so for sportif riders than lads that race,you will enjoy,lads that race from diff clubs go up the road and have their own ding dong with one another,while the rest just enjoy the spin and scenery,its a great course for all :D

There is always plenty of non-racers of which I intend to be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Me too and after Christmas, going at 25km/h might be a challenge anyway. Always leave any lads to their own pace. You will always find a group that suits you on a sportive and have great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Link to the 'front group' from the first 'race' of last year. I'd say there was well over 100 there last year with about 20 in the group that finished in the time linked below. Every level is easily catered for, well controlled to Waterford.

http://www.strava.com/activities/38859431

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Entered/ signed-up or whatever. Looking forward to it! Hopefully there won't be any icy patches Laie_cyclist.gif

entered myself too, hopefully weather will be alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Hey, just got a message to say that this has been postponed due to the severe weather forecast for sunday. it will run the following sunday instead.

It'll be departing from the Good Counsel College in New Ross next week too, instead of the GAA grounds.: http://www.barrowwheelers.com/index.php/news/87-100k-deferred-to-2nd-february-2014

Thanks for the notice. Forecast is dreadful! It will probably be sunny now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

We're there many out last Sunday? Horrible day for it, unfortunately.

It was postponed until this Sunday. Might see you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Sounds like the right decision. Won't be able to make it down unfortunately - we're doing a final recce of our sportive route for the following Sunday. Sounds like the weather is due to be a good bit better this Sunday, so enjoy!

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Sounds like the right decision. Won't be able to make it down unfortunately - we're doing a final recce of our sportive route for the following Sunday. Sounds like the weather is due to be a good bit better this Sunday, so enjoy!
    Fingers crossed, and hopefully will make yours the week after (family understanding permitting).

Really enjoyable spin today, did the 100k in 3 hrs 15 mins which I was very happy with. Managed to stay in touch with the leading group until about the 75km mark hill.

Advertisement