Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picked on by Victor and BK

Options
  • 15-01-2014 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

There has been an Irish language discussion going on in about Bilingual Signage

Victor gave me a warning for this post. No personal insults, why is he warning me here?

He states that: "This thread is about announcements on public transport, not the nuances of the wider Irish language debate." Yet practically all of the preceding comments are about the Irish language. Why is he picking on me?

In this post BK tried to ban me, but couldn't, and instead threatened me. "Please remember the first rule of boards, attack the post, not the poster."

I responded: Where exactly in my post did I attack you?

Clearly there is a case here of mods ganging up on posters they can't ban.

Why am I being singled out here?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Take a look at the chart above. Did you follow the steps outlined in the Dispute Resolution Process, which are clearly outlined - the first step being to send a PM to the Moderator who banned you to see if the issue can be resolved without moving on to the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

A little bit of clarification, though, first:

1. Victor is a mod of Commuting and Transport, bk is not.

2. I'm not sure how bk could "try to ban" you in a forum he's not mod of, or how you would know if he had.

3. "Remember the first rule of boards..." is not threatening.

4. Buffybot banned you. Victor only gave you a warning.

5. The ban is for ignoring mod instructions - in this case, ignoring the instruction not to personalise the debate by attacking bk. You ignored that instruction and attacked bk again.

The original post was mild but definitely personal, and deserved the yellow card it received:
    I agree, BK's posts are usually worth a read. However, I thought it was well known here that he's part of the anti-Irish brigade. One only needs to have a glance at his post history to see repeated mentions of "zealots, forced down my throat, dead language", etc.

BK on bilingual signage: "it makes me hate the Irish Language a little bit more every time I see it."

BK on the Irish language: "The truth is that Irish doesn't define our culture...cultures change and the reality is that Irish has little relevance in modern Irish culture."

DB have drastically cut down on the length of the announcements, but the fact that the Irish language is there will forever be a problem for the anti-Irish zealots.

You were warned and yellow carded, and that could easily have been the end of it. But instead when bk appeared on thread, you decided to have another go:
    Where exactly in my post did I attack you? Sounds like you have nothing to ban me for so you had to bring up the old "attack the post, not the poster" threat. Really silly.

As for the rest of your post? Nothing new. It's the same old anti-Irish rant I've seen from you before.

The vast majority of the Irish public have no issue with bilingual signage in this country. It's just a few anti-Irish zealots that can't bear to see the Irish language in public and get angry on internet forums because of it.

The issue with BK and his anti-Irish brigade is that they will not budge on a bilingual solution for this country. They want English-only and nothing else.

It's for that reason there will forever be conflict on this issue, not dissimilar to Nationalists and Unionists up north.

The anti-Irish brigade know that they can't change the policy on Irish, so instead they resort to "dead language, waste of money, forced down my throat", like a broken record.

Good luck to them. English forever and Gaeilge Abú - languages are valuable and should be cherished.

By the way, I was on a DB route recently and the kids (from a gaelcholáiste?) were having fun repeating the original Irish language placenames. This is something I'm sure would boil the blood of BK and his Brigade (and Unionists alike)!

Your decision to basically ignore the mod instruction and the warning, and to pick a fight with bk, is what led to the ban. There's no question but that both posts are personal attacks, by you, on a specific named poster. If you can't see that, you are likely to have ongoing issues, because it's very obvious.

Ban upheld. You can ask for an Admin review, or you can contact BuffyBot to see if you can have the length reduced that way.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement