Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Payments

Options
  • 15-01-2014 2:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭

Howdy Folks! I am looking for the cheapest way to accept credit/laser card payments. I may mostly be selling things worth between 40-300, i am looking to take payments over ecommerce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Your monthly turnover is going to be the thing that would dictate what sort of rate you are going to have to pay. The more you turnover the better the rate you can negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Loads of options out there and now even more so with the fact that you can sell online without a merchant account from your bank.

My advice would be to check out Paypal or Stripe - Integration is pretty straightforward and their fees are well documented.

If the website is a success then you can potentially look at making some further savings by getting a merchant account from your Bank and using Realex to take payments.

Laser is due to be phased out in Feb so its Visa Debit now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Johny_cash

Loads of options out there and now even more so with the fact that you can sell online without a merchant account from your bank.

My advice would be to check out Paypal or Stripe - Integration is pretty straightforward and their fees are well documented.

If the website is a success then you can potentially look at making some further savings by getting a merchant account from your Bank and using Realex to take payments.

Laser is due to be phased out in Feb so its Visa Debit now

So i need a merchants account to use realex? i was thinking of going with realex because the first 350 payments are for 29e with no fee i believe, plus they have a lower fee than paypal (not sure about stripe). Is integration easy with realex? i will be using woocommerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Johny_cash wrote: »
    So i need a merchants account to use realex? i was thinking of going with realex because the first 350 payments are for 29e with no fee i believe, plus they have a lower fee than paypal (not sure about stripe). Is integration easy with realex? i will be using woocommerce.

You will need to get a Merchant ID first contact your bank and ask them, they will refer you to AIB Merchant Services or UlsterBank Streamline or BOI Elavon. They will want to know about turnover/projected turnover and PPI compliancy etc as they dont give out Merchant IDs willy nilly.

Just to note that laser is soon to be gone and it'll be all visa/mastercard debit cards so PayPal might be the simplest solution to get started..(easiest to integrate with WooCommerce)

Buttercake wrote: »
    You will need to get a Merchant ID first contact your bank and ask them, they will refer you to AIB Merchant Services or UlsterBank Streamline or BOI Elavon. They will want to know about turnover/projected turnover and PPI compliancy etc as they dont give out Merchant IDs willy nilly.

Just to note that laser is soon to be gone and it'll be all visa/mastercard debit cards so PayPal might be the simplest solution to get started..(easiest to integrate with WooCommerce)
    ill use paypal so because getting a merchant account is too much bother at the moment, how do i set it up to accept payments of mastercard/visa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Just moved from Streamline for € and $Stg online payments and counter machine to Elavon, big savings achieved. Be careful with PayPal, they only allow you to trade a very small amount until you become established (1000€?) Others might verify.

Set up and fixed charges can be a significant cost if you are not doing a decent sales volume at the early stages with merchant accounts gateways etc etc. Look at Stripe very seriously, Graham who posts here a lot knows a lot on integrating their facility on websites.

ill use paypal so because getting a merchant account is too much bother at the moment, how do i set it up to accept payments of mastercard/visa?

With WooCommerce, its a case of entering your PayPal email in the settings and your good to go

When the customer clicks to purchase something it will redirect them to PayPal where they will have the option to login with their PayPal account or enter credit card details to complete transaction.

the threshold is €1k i think as peter says and then you have to submit your business info, ID(passport/d licence) etc to remove the limits

Not too big a fan of PayPal myself, I use Streamline/Realex but for some businesses it works perfectly fine and is easy to manage,fees may be high but they are giving you all the tools you need for free and no monthly fees.

With WooCommerce, its a case of entering your PayPal email in the settings and your good to go

When the customer clicks to purchase something it will redirect them to PayPal where they will have the option to login with their PayPal account or enter credit card details to complete transaction.

the threshold is €1k i think as peter says and then you have to submit your business info, ID(passport/d licence) etc to remove the limits

Not too big a fan of PayPal myself, I use Streamline/Realex but for some businesses it works perfectly fine and is easy to manage,fees may be high but they are giving you all the tools you need for free and no monthly fees.

that sounds good, but what happens when i go over the threshold of 1k? also which is better express or standard paypal payments as a seller?

I would stick with paypal standard if you require shipping information, express can allow the user to bypass important shipping information

woocommerce will let you setup a sandbox so you can play around and process orders on your site but no actual payments will be taken

They send you an email and you have to submit your CRO cert and passport, no biggie..

I would stick with paypal standard if you require shipping information, express can allow the user to bypass important shipping information

woocommerce will let you setup a sandbox so you can play around and process orders on your site but no actual payments will be taken

They send you an email and you have to submit your CRO cert and passport, no biggie..
    do I need to change anything with my PayPal account or will it be able to accept credit card money into my account without any changes?

• Advertisement

do I need to change anything with my PayPal account or will it be able to accept credit card money into my account without any changes?

You'll need to talk to your web designer who will advise you or contact PP direct

Advertisement