Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop or Battery Faulty

Options
  • 15-01-2014 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I usually fix my own pc faults but this one has me stumped.

When running on battery , laptop hard shuts-down approx 3-4 minutes after ac power cord is disconnected.

I'm on win7. Taskbar battery monitor reports battery is well over 80% remaining. Also I've got one of those battery's that has one of those on-battery indicators ( led lights) that show how much power is left in the battery when you press a little button on it - which also shows the batters is almost full.

Also I've had this laptop since new and I've hardly ever used it on battery power so I can't see how it would have died already.

Oh also I'm sure it's not a software issue either as same thing happens when I dual-boot into Linux.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

How old is the battery? Mine says 100% fully charged now but if I plug it out it'll last about 2 mins. It's 3 years old and is plugged in most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Wow well mines about 3 years old and almost always plugged in too. Golly if that's the issue then they don't last long do they !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

colossus-x wrote: »
    Also I've had this laptop since new and I've hardly ever used it on battery power so I can't see how it would have died already.

Your battery is knackered, caused by constant topping up and lack of use.

You should have used the laptop on the battery (i.e.unplugged) at least once a month and you should preferably have allowed the battery to drop down to 10% or lower, then charged it up in one continuous charge.

My laptop will be four years old in April, the battery capacity according to the power manager is still 71% of design capacity. Most manufacturers only give 12 months warranty on the battery because most of them get abused by lack of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

That was the kinda sorta answer I was expecting - I just needed someone to say it to my face lol

New battery it is then. Case Closed.

Advertisement