Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

social welfare implications

• 15-01-2014 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i was considering claiming social welfare as i lost my job last month. i had 6000euro in savings but its reducing rapidly. i live at home and was thinking to claim social welfare while i find a job. i suppose i dont want my 4000 to disappear on me.
    a few questions i have:
    -firstly, is it ok to claim social welfare while i have savings? i feel guilty claiming money that i dont need just yet. should i wait till i run out?
    -what i dont understand is how the government just hands out money to people who dont really need it? i understand many need it but for people like me who are living at home?
    -is it ok to save money from the weekly amount a person gets? so say you get 188, is it ok to save 80 euro of that a week? i.e. can a person do what they wish with their money or does it have to be spent? could social welfare decide to cut the amount if they see a person is saving 80 euro per week?
    -is it ok to go on holidays and live the way you wish whilst claiming social welfare? would a person who is claiming money be answerable to where they are going at all times? is it legal to go on expensive holidays if you;re on social welfare?
    -say for example, i went on social welfare, can i change my mind and come off it to go travelling or stop it if i save a bit from it? is it easy to go on and off it? i wouldnt like to stay sitting on it if i save a bit.
    -finally, are there any negative reasons that would stop a person who doesnt need it to survive from going on social welfare?? will the person ever be forced to pay anything back to the state in future or is it gone once its handed out? will the person be required to ever pay it back? for example, if someone claims socail welfare for 2 years and earns a total of €19,552 from state benefits, and then this person finds a really high paying job where they are earning a salary of €100,000 a year within a few years, will they be asked to pay the €20,000 back?

sorry for all my questions im very unaware about this issue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

i was considering claiming social welfare as i lost my job last month.
    You won't be able to claim anything for that period. You only get paid fromt eh day you make your claim.
    i had 6000euro in savings but its reducing rapidly. i live at home and was thinking to claim social welfare while i find a job. i suppose i dont want my 4000 to disappear on me.
    Not unreasonable. You do not know what the future will bring. If €2,000 can go in a month, you don't have very long. Note there may be a delay between when you claim and when you receive payment. This delay may be a few months.
    -firstly, is it ok to claim social welfare while i have savings?
    Yes. I think they ignore the first €20,000-30,000. After that there are reductions.
    i feel guilty claiming money that i dont need just yet.
    Yet.
    should i wait till i run out?
    No. What if you get landed with, say unexpected medical bills or you want to start a job in another part of the country or abroad and have set-up costs? What if you decide to study?
    -what i dont understand is how the government just hands out money to people who dont really need it? i understand many need it but for people like me who are living at home?
    Presumably you have contributed in the form of PRSI and other taxes.
    -is it ok to save money from the weekly amount a person gets?
    Yes. Eventualities happen.
    so say you get 188, is it ok to save 80 euro of that a week? i.e. can a person do what they wish with their money or does it have to be spent?
    That assumes you would get €188 per week. There are some restrictions and deductions.
    could social welfare decide to cut the amount if they see a person is saving 80 euro per week?
    Generally no.
    -is it ok to go on holidays and live the way you wish whilst claiming social welfare? would a person who is claiming money be answerable to where they are going at all times? is it legal to go on expensive holidays if you;re on social welfare?
    A few weeks are allowed, with restrictions. Swanning around South East Asia for 3 months is another matter - you have to be available for work. It would be time, not cost that would be the deciding factor from their point of view
    -say for example, i went on social welfare, can i change my mind and come off it to go travelling or stop it if i save a bit from it? is it easy to go on and off it? i wouldnt like to stay sitting on it if i save a bit.
    Each new claim could result in a delay before payment.
    -finally, are there any negative reasons that would stop a person who doesnt need it to survive from going on social welfare?? will the person ever be forced to pay anything back to the state in future or is it gone once its handed out? will the person be required to ever pay it back? for example, if someone claims socail welfare for 2 years and earns a total of €19,552 from state benefits, and then this person finds a really high paying job where they are earning a salary of €100,000 a year within a few years, will they be asked to pay the €20,000 back?
    No, you don't need to pay it back, that is what PRSI and taxes are for.

Advertisement