Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Internships For First Year Physics-Science Students?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering is there any Summer Internships for first year science students specifically Physics or astronomy available anywhere?

I recieved an email from the school of physics for summer internships abroad, but most of them are for 3rd/4th year undergrads and ask for a LOT of info that a first year just wouldnt be able answer, like previous projects, areas of interest in research etc. Although I am late 20's (mature student), I dont have any relevent experience in a science field that I could use for these applications. (most my years of work were in IT)

Does anyone know of anywhere to get a summer internship in physics or similar for a first year physics student? I'd love if it was abroad, but it doesnt have to be and nearly anything science related would be fine.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Experience is everything and companies want people they can do a minimal amount of training with before they can start work. Most people would be lucky to get an internship in second year, let alone first. The benefit in first year would be minimal anyway as you would only have a basic understanding of your field of study and everything would be new, as opposed to further up the ladder where you could focus on an area that interests you. That would be my feelings anyway.

Companies generally want someone they can give a final year project to when they leave or alternatively if they are good, hire them in 8 to 12 months time.

Not trying to be funny, but given your IT background, why not do an IT internship for first year? Would add another company to your CV and all that helps further down the line. All my internships / placement except by major placement were outside my specific field of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

You could ask a lecturer whose research suits you if they would let you do a project with them in the summer. That's what I did in second year. Of course, you won't be paid but it's good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thanks for the info, I'll definitly talk to some lecturers about it, I dont mind if theres no pay, its for the experience and cv.

Also might take a look at some IT summer stuff. There are a few places abroad that take first year undergrads, but I'd say theres a lot of competition

Advertisement