Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend setting for Timer/boiler/Immersion

• 15-01-2014 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

This is a bit of a long shot, I was wondering if there is a recommended chart for heating setting for houses? should you raise the temp at the boiler or reduce the temp at boiler and just keep it going for longer?

I have a house around 125 sq.m / 1345 sq.ft(based on house sold near us). I strip the house down about 6 years ago and done all the external walls with insulated slabs. The under floor with insulation and then just filled up attic with insulation. I also put in all new rads and about 2 years ago put in new gas boiler.

Just want to see if it is better to just run the boiler at higher temp(temp controls on boiler) for shorter time or run at lower temp for longer period???

Also I have the boiler heating the water as well as the rads, is it better to just have the gas heating the rads and use immersion to heat the water?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Just to piggyback on this topic.... I cannot make up mind what is better whether to use gas to heat water or immersion. Sink section of immersion on twice a day is sufficient wheras gas will heat full tank. Tank is new and holds heat well due to decent insulation. We have upgraded from oil and now have separate controls for water/rads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cobham wrote: »
    Just to piggyback on this topic.... I cannot make up mind what is better whether to use gas to heat water or immersion. Sink section of immersion on twice a day is sufficient wheras gas will heat full tank. Tank is new and holds heat well due to decent insulation. We have upgraded from oil and now have separate controls for water/rads.
    What size tank is it? Would you use a full tank?

A kwh of electricty is 18c, an immersion heater is about 100% efficienct

A kwh of gas is about 5 cents, a boiler is say 80% efficent do you'll need 1.2kwh. Which comes out at 6 cents per kwh delivered.

As you have separate controls. Gas would be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Thank you :)

We would not use a full tank but if heated by the gas on daily basis, it would still be warm from previous day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi Guys

Any idea's? I know its a long shot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If it is a condensing boiler, it is in principle more efficient to run it for a longer time on a lower temperature. The reason is that the condensing feature works best when the temperature of the water returning to the boiler is low.

However, if you don't have separate settings for hot water and for central heating, then you can't put it too low, because the hot water won't be hot enough.

Best

Antoin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement