Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Inchicore

Options
  • 15-01-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I know this question has probably been asked loads of times but did not see anything recent about Inchicore. Can anyone tell me what it is like to live in these days? I am looking to rent an apartment in the Tramyard. I have heard some bad stories but also some good stories about Inchicore. Is it really as bad as people say?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Used to work in Inchicore, obviously like most of Dublin you have to keep your wits about you. Great location, big Eurospar around the corner, few take-aways, butchers, good transport link, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Renting in Inchicore myself for the last year. Never had a problem since I have been here. Nice italian restaurant beside the Black Lion pub and then Black Lion itself does a nice carvery at the weekend.

Great regular bus service into the city for work (no. 13 & 40)

There are a family of settled travellers that also live in the area - you'll regularly see their off-spring at the Eurospar, shoplifting everything they can and generally causing problems for the staff there. But for the most part, there's no other hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Living in Inchicore on Emmet Road for the past three years. I have never felt unsafe; like another poster said above you might see a few kids hanging outside the Eurospar but generally they stick to hassling whatever staff or security guard is on duty in the shop. Lots of amenities and nice walks to the Phoenix Park and the Memorial Gardens. The only hassle we ever had here was due to the elements with the flooding that occured in October 2011 when the Camac burst it's banks and flooded the underground carpark, but that was a freak more then anything and flood defences have been improved since. The transport links are great with the 68 bringing you to Camden Street while the 40 and 13 both serve the Northside if you're heading in that direction. Only a 5 minute walk to the Red Line luas also.

Pub wise I'd go to the Royal Oak in Kilmainham if I was having a pint. Most of the pubs in the area are frequented by the locals and seem like an older crowd, though the Black Lion and Croughs seem fine. Can't really speak for the rest of them as have never been inside but some do seem to have a more "wind beaten" crowd smoking outside them at times.

For me, it'd be perfect if there was a large supermarket, a Lidl or Tesco in the area as I don't have a car and carrying a load of shopping on the bike or on a bus home is a pain in the backside. The closest Lidl is on Thomas Street or Cork Street and there is a large Tesco in Ballyfermot. There is a Tesco Express in Inchicore alright. There's a butcher across from the Black Lion and another on Bulfin Road; both are very good, friendly and helpful. One thing sorely lacking is a fruit and veg shop so if any entrepreneurs are reading please feel free to set up in Inchicore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Knew 3 separate people (2 owners and one renting) that lived there and they all thought it was grand. Never got any trouble.

Nice enough apartments and convenient for town. Luas is quite near, whether the Blaqck Hoprse stop or Drimnagh stops.

Only bad thing that happened was that one of them had his car broken into twice (in the underground car park) and another nearly had his scooter nicked from within the complex (he disturbed them though). There was a large spate of it at the time but that was about 6 or 7 years ago to be fair.

The Black Lion is a decent enough and quiet pub. Clearys and McDowells are OK. Avoid The Village Inn(? - the pub facing it on the other side of the road) and to a lesser extent The Black Horse.

Nice little Italian place beside the Black Lion albeit very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Thanks for your replies guys! All very helpful. It has definitely put my mind at ease. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Lived there a few years back in a place right beside the Tramyard, as others have said the Black Lion is a nice bar, overall though it wasn't an area I loved, its not a nice walk home at night from the city centre, and I found there was a bit of a vibe about the place that wasn't appealing I have lived in other areas such as Gardiner street that have a similar vibe but they made up for it by being much centrally located. That being said it could have improved a bit in the last few years and if the place is good value don't let it put you off as nothing bad actually happened to me, and I was gone from the area when that Inchicore vs Drimnagh violence seemed to kick off but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.
    If you could get the same value somewhere like Phibsborough I would go for there instead but if the place is nice go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

anncoates wrote: »

Nice little Italian place beside the Black Lion albeit very small.

That's the place Mick Wallace TD owns(ed). Nice little place alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I was gone from the area when that Inchicore vs Drimnagh violence seemed to kick of

It was Crumlin v Drimnagh (according to the Sunday World:-[). Inchicore lost to Crumlin in the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bold Abdu wrote: »
    It was Crumlin v Drimnagh (according to the Sunday World:-[).

The joys of it always being labelled Crumlin -v- Drimnagh, when a large portion were Dublin 8, including Fat Freddie himself. Makes Dublin 8 seem nicer! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I lived in Kilmainham and often went to the shops etc in Inchicore. I always found it to be a nice, safe area. James St and Thomas St can be pretty rough. Someone threw a bottle at me from a window once. Another time some kid in a tracksuit jumped on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Just to add my two cents to this...

Have been living in Inchicore the past six months, an aprtment complex near Tyrconnell Street. Have to say I have no complaints about the area. A poster above kind of summed it up really, a large supermarket within walking distance would REALLY add to the place; the Eurospar is ok, while that Tesco Express shop I find to be rubbish! But overall I like the area, have never felt threatened and the transport links are good. Taxi from centre of town would only be about a tenner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SallyCanWait

I wonder if anyone may be able to shed some light..

Have come across a property in Inchicore that fits what I am looking for perfectly, however I don't know the area well so wonder if anyone could tell me what it is like as a place to live?

I am a single female who will be living by myself, so my main concern would be safety and the sense of community etc.. I currently live in the Dublin 12 area, which I know sometimes has a bit of a 'reputation', but I find this an ok place to live.. Is Inchicore much the same? Is anti-social behaviour a problem? Is there a healthy mix of professionals in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

I lived there for 3 years and overall it was ok. Certainly not a place I would live long term.

I experienced a few problems during that time:

- housemates car was vandalized one night (speculating that is was because it was a UK reg as no other cars damaged before or after)
    - actually had a grenade left in our back garden resulting in the gardai and bomb squad knocking on our door one morning after an anonymous tip off
    - One bunch of kids threatened me with a hammer, but probably not really going to use it
    - Saw what would have been a nasty incident on the 51b bus where a passenger pulled a massive bread knife out and threatened the driver
    - a few gangland style murders happened while I was there (shootings)

So overall not great but livable for a while until you move somewhere nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Threads Merged

Advertisement