Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not accepting Cash for credit card

Options
  • 15-01-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi

I couldnt make it to the bank yesterday so asked my GF to pay off my credit card (Bank of ireland). When she went into the bank she was told that they wouldn't accept cash. She then asked could she transfer the money from her BOI account to the credit card they said she couldn't as it was not her card.

I then rang the credit card services to be told that branches dont accept cash over the counter anymore. If I had 365 I could transfer the money into the card. I don't have a BOI account anymore.

Can you please explain to me how I am supposed to pay off the credit card if you wont accept cash? How can a Bank refuse to deal in cash?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi heroics,

Thanks for your post.

What you were advised is correct, since October 2012 payments to credit cards cannot be made at the cashier desk in branch.

Just to clarify, if your girlfriend is registered for 365 Online, it is possible for her to add a BOI credit card as a payee and make payments online. The card would not have to be in her name to do this.

Payment options are:

Cash or cheque using a Lodgement ATM in any branch.
    Standing order or direct debit payment from a current account with any bank.
    Electronic transfer via online banking from any bank.

If you would like to set up a direct debit from your existing current account, a direct debit mandate form can be downloaded here.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Thanks for the reply however it just makes me glad that I have moved from bank of Ireland for my current account and will be closing my credit card as soon as I pay off the balance which should be today. 

I just find i incredible that a bank would not accept cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I totally agree with you heroics!!  I used do all my business in B of I but they are gone so awkward I just go to An Post (who now deal with AIB in my area) & lodge my money and pay my bills there.  I dont have a Credit Card but I used order stuff on my daughters CR Card & then pay it off in the Bank using an old Statement which had her details on it.  Alas, that day in gone!!

Advertisement