Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Stoneybatter

Options
  • 15-01-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm looking to move to the Stoneybatter/Smithfield area. Have viewed a few houses on Ross Street, Olaf Road and Norseman Place. I was just wondering what those areas are like security wise? I've read a few older threads about O'Devaney Gardens - which would be right beside the Ross Street property, but there wasn't a huge amount up recently.

Has anyone had any experiences in the area? I would be parking my car on street.

Also some of the properties have house alarms and some don't - should not having an alarm be an issue?

I have lived near the area previously, generally on Smithfield Square or Brunswick Street.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Wouldn't like to live on Ross street, the other 2 are fine, nice enough area.

No alarm seriously increases the chance of break in and your movements as a new person in a close knit area like this will be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thought I'd revive an existing thread; yeah, we're looking to move to Stoneybatter/Arbour Hill as well. The specific place we're looking at is 7 mins walk (according to Google) from O'Devaney Gardens. But as far as I'm aware the latter is in the process of being demolished anyway, so is it really somewhere to worry about? Also, anyone have any experience of the local D7 Educate Together?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wouldnt hold my breath on O'Devaney Gardens being redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

oceanclub wrote: »
    Thought I'd revive an existing thread; yeah, we're looking to move to Stoneybatter/Arbour Hill as well. The specific place we're looking at is 7 mins walk (according to Google) from O'Devaney Gardens. But as far as I'm aware the latter is in the process of being demolished anyway, so is it really somewhere to worry about? Also, anyone have any experience of the local D7 Educate Together?

P.

I'm living here all my life. O Devany isn't has bad has it was years ago. Drumalee is probably worse now, and even then it's still not as bad as it was. Also went to D7ET when it first opened, the grounds have moved now, but it was a great school I found. Friendly, not very strict, no uniform, no religion unless you went to classes they set up in spare time. Think the grounds are beside Kirwan Street now? Grangegorman? So it would be very local. Also better than the likes of Bruner. Feel free to PM me if you want to know any knowledge of the area:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jackalberi

We are looking to rent a cottage on Findlater steet, advertised as stoneybatter although looking at the map seems more arbour hill. We are foreign and wonder if we will fit in Is this area safe for us to walk home at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It's always a little grim around there even during the day. Also bear in mind that you're not particularly close to Stoneybatter; it'd be a good 20 minutes walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Findlater street isnt too bad. My sister lived in the area for years without issue. Its like everywhere though, dont leave your common sense in your bedroom drawer never to be used.

Its definitely not stoneybatter. More Phoenix Park which has its advantages in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fada70

Can you give any comment regarding the house on Manor St (number 65)?
    Nice area for a middle-aged single woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Manor Street is a great spot. You have lots of pubs / cafes / restaurants /takeaways in the vicinity, a great off-licence, 2 Centra shops. You're also very close to Smithfield Square where you'll find the fantastic Lighthouse cinema and Cobblestone pub as well as a few other pubs/restaurants. You will see skanger kids (mostly on bikes, for some reason) and junkies around the place at times, but they seem pretty harmless for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Manor Street is great, I always felt safe getting off the bus there late at night and I often wander over to the 24 hour Centra in the wee hours of the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Man I think we need a Stoneybatter forum everyone seems obsessed with it in here!

Advertisement