Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter Readings have abnormally increased

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I would suggest as follows:
    Using your new meter work out what you are using at present. Apply this consumption to work out your total costs since meter went faulty. Pay the amount you now owe.
    Write to your supplier. Tell them you have paid and your account is up to date and clear.
    If they intend to apply any other amount you expect details of how this amount was arrived at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057138626/1/#post88779174

I am in similar problem.
    Please help me out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭techdiver

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057138626/1/#post88779174

I am in similar problem.
    Please help me out. :(

Just follow the same process I followed. It is painful and these utility companies are a nightmare to deal with, but keep on top of it.

You're supplier will need to send an engineer out to inspect the meter.

In the meantime keep a note of daily usage and perhaps buy your own meter similar to this one - http://efergy.com/eu/elitev1-monitor-137#.Uu0UWMvFLqA

I just spoke to electric ireland customer service now.
    They told me they will send someone in 3-4 days and check the readings. and they will adjust the meter readings. Hoping the best :(
    techdiver wrote: »
    Just follow the same process I followed. It is painful and these utility companies are a nightmare to deal with, but keep on top of it.

You're supplier will need to send an engineer out to inspect the meter.

In the meantime keep a note of daily usage and perhaps buy your own meter similar to this one - http://efergy.com/eu/elitev1-monitor-137#.Uu0UWMvFLqA

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just a quick update on progress thus far.

The simple answer is none really. I have chased up on an number of occasions and still have not received any ETA as to when this will be resolved. I find it crazy that they can treat customers like this!

I was also concerned about the manner in which they calculate this "usage report". As explained earlier in the thread, we had our first child in December and obviously since then, my wife is on maternity leave and as with all babies, energy usage will increase. As I tried and failed on a number of occasions to get a satisfactory explanation from neither ESB nor Airtricity as to what algorithm is used to construct this report, I wrote a strongly worded letter to the customer complaints department in Airtricity and sent it by registered post. I requested a call back from Airtricity on receipt of the letter also.

Post delivery of the letter, a week past and no word, so I opened another support call with Airtricity to request confirmation of receipt of the letter and that the concerns contained in the letter would be taken on board. I received an automated confirmation of the support ticket via email and then waited another week, without reply! So I opened a second ticket. Eventually some one from Airtricity rang me to confirm receipt of the letter. Hallelujah!

It seemed this time they were armed with a small but more information as to how the usage report figure is calculated (unless of course, they were telling me what I wanted to hear to shut me up!). She explained that the ESB will also use historical data coupled with the usage over the next 3 - 4 months (exact time frame not available of course) to calculate the usage report.

So we are approaching 3 months since the new meter has been installed and still no word as to when this will be resolved. All the while I am being charged for their equipments cock up! I'm lucky in a way that I can afford to pay, but I can't imagine how someone who wouldn't be in a position to pay this would cope!

I would assume I should have some information again in the next month, but I'm worried as to the fact that no hard date for resolution can be communicated to me and also that originally I was told it would be a 2-3 month process and now it's a 3-4 month process???

I'm like a dog with a bone though, and I won't be giving up the chase.

I'll keep you all posted.

Might I suggest that YOU calculate how much you owe. Your supplier should be calculating lost consumption based on number of people in flat, type of appliances in flat and their hours of usage. Also if they are READING the meter every 2 months this will also help them to make an accurate calculation

Some information they can only get from you...appliances...hours of usage etc.

It should be easy for you to calculate your costs (KWh x uinit cost) and pay this amount.
    If your have already paid by more than this amount then wait for supplier answer and be ready with your arithmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'd agree with garoff.
    Pay the usual amount before the meter was clearly faulty. Deduct any excess previously paid off your next bill.
    They won't be able to cut you off with them having acknowledged they supplied you with a faulty meter (which is property of ESB Networks - not you).

That might focus their mind on getting it sorted. They have no justifiable reason to have overcharged for this length of time.

I am still getting high number of kwh on the night meter.
    i am in touch with electric ireland every week but they are telling me they are still waiting for reports from ESB networks.

last 2 months bill was 270Euros and it looks like its gonna be almost same this time, which is too much given using 2 electric heaters in night. :(

garroff wrote: »
    Might I suggest that YOU calculate how much you owe. Your supplier should be calculating lost consumption based on number of people in flat, type of appliances in flat and their hours of usage. Also if they are READING the meter every 2 months this will also help them to make an accurate calculation

Some information they can only get from you...appliances...hours of usage etc.

It should be easy for you to calculate your costs (KWh x uinit cost) and pay this amount.
    If your have already paid by more than this amount then wait for supplier answer and be ready with your arithmetic.

I have asked that we re-adjust our bill ,(as I'm on the Airtricity budget plan, i.e. same bill every month re-evaluated every 4 months), but told I can't do this. If I wanted to switch to regular billing the balance would be front loaded onto the next bill, (circa €400). Incredible considering they know and I know that the readings were erroneous! I'm on direct debit and in the middle of a mortgage application, so i don't want to jepordise that by going nuclear for now.

It is pretty simple for them to work out how much we use, based on the fact that we have been in this apartment for the last 5 years and our usage has been consistent for that entire time. My gripe is that our current usage shouldn't be taken into account as our circumstances have changed and power consumption has increased. I have outlined this in my letter.

It is amazing the level of incompetence in ESB networks, as when I was talking to them no one knows how a usage report is compiled and couldn't point me in the direction of someone that does. I will demand a complete breakdown of how they reach their figures and I will be prepared to present my own calculations if needs be. It is ESB networks equipment that failed, so i would have a slam dunk in small claims court if needs be.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of our current usage and have a soft copy of our bills for 18 months prior to the meter malfunctioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It is pretty simple for them to work out how much we use, based on the fact that we have been in this apartment for the last 5 years and our usage has been consistent for that entire time. My gripe is that our current usage shouldn't be taken into account as our circumstances have changed and power consumption has increased. I have outlined this in my letter.
    You'd have been better off not mentioning this - it only confuses things. They have no idea of your change in circumstances, so adding it in only complicates all.

Asking them how they work out your usage over the period of faulty meter is also delaying things. They wouldn't want to give out that information too readily for commercial reasons. All you should care about is if they are over-charging you for this period of faulty meter. If they are, then kick up a fuss. If not, then let it be.

Not alone that, a private company can't screw up your credit rating or the like unless they get a court judgement against you - which in this case, they haven't a leg to stand on and any judge would run them out of court. I understand why you don't wast to be taking chances in this regard, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Demand to speak to a manager in accounts and explain you won't be paying anything extra from the next bill and why unless this is sorted. All calls are recorded so you will be covered. Ask for where it states in the contract that you must overpay for an unreasonable period of time when a faulty meter is discovered. Tell them you won't be corresponding again and that all contact will have to go through the CER - that's who regulates them. The time for too-ing and fro-ing is long past.
    That should focus their minds to get it sorted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is dragging on a bit, if it were me I would be taking this to "another level".

Here is an extract from the National Consumer Agency's website:
    Complaints
    If you have a complaint about billing or quality of service by your energy supplier you should complain to your energy supplier first. If you have a complaint about your connection you should complain to the network operator, either Board Gáis or ESB Networks.

If you are unhappy with the response you get you can take the complaint to the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER), which offers an independent complaint resolution service. However, you must complain to the energy company or network operator first, to give them a chance to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

I agree with 2011. I had an issue with airtricity lately. Going around in circles with the agent in customer service. After 2 weeks, I asked for the matter to be referred to his supervisor as per their complaints procedure. It was sorted out shortly after that. Find out what the complaints procedure is and follow it. You have to spend time at ever level to try and get the issue sorted but don't be afraid to ask for it to be referred up the line, ever if it means going to the CER with the issue.

I have been on to Airtricity a number of times and they are claiming that they have no control over the time it takes ESB networks in resolving the issue.

I will wait another couple of weeks before escalating it further again.

I have a record of all my correspondence and will be prepared to take it further if needs be.

Hi All,

So since my last post I waited some more time and then contacted Airtricity again to enquire as to the status of the usage report. A couple of days later I received an email saying that they received my property’s adjustment report on the 23/04/2014 and that I was overcharged by 1655 units.

I asked to see a copy of the report and this is where is became interesting again. I received a phone call from Airtricity and the agent stated that the report they received from the ESB, "wouldn't make sense" as it was just a printout with numbers on it. She claimed that she contacted the ESB and asked for a "client copy" of the report to which they refused saying they don't supply them to customers. I basically put my foot down and demanded the report and the agent suggested I contact the ESB myself and request it. I refused as I was sick of doing their job for them and I stressed the fact that I am a customer of Airtricity and not the ESB and that they need to provide my with an appropriate bill and not just a figure picked out of the air.

She then said she will send me on a copy of the printout that they received from the ESB and I said that would be fine. We ended the call and I received another email fro the same agent a few minutes later which stated that "the billing team advised that the report sent from ESB Networks is for internal use and cannot be sent to customers. They checked this with a supervisor also." Groannnnn!!!!!!!

I then replied as follows:
    Hi,

Can I get a reference number for this complaint process as I am not satisfied with the response and I am going to take this to the Commission for Energy Regulation as my customer rights are being breached in regard to the consumer codes, specifically the section on Billing & Disconnection.

Many Thanks,
    xxx
    This was 10 days ago and once again yesterday I had to follow up with them to see what the situation was. Then all of a sudden I received a reply today from them, and guess what?? The report was included! [IMG]https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/nhXoCgKNXTwygVVDnUkxtbw3EXcegk0cB9iz3i8cRf98RP84FZX0vM5xhT9AOVFczO1kKLZGRoB5v5n8-DOjYqtV6AOMJoY_J7G6QPJy8g=s0-d-e1-ft#<a href=http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.png target=_blank><a href=http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.png target=_blank>[/img]http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.png</a></a>

So it took for me to threaten to go to the regulator to get them to send me on a copy of the report. Why could they not have done this in the first place??

Anyway, the report as expected took no account of my previous usage and only counted the average usage since the new meter was installed as gauge of the correct usage over the period of the over billing. Luckily we had been very prudent with energy usage over the last 3 months as I correctly assumed that it would be our current usage that would decide the final adjustment.

All in all, I was overcharged by 1655 units which works out at €269.78. This has been applied to my account, so I won't have any bills for a few months thankfully. There was no mention of compensation though considering the over-billing that occurred, but at this stage I'm just relieved to have it sorted and I can't be arsed doing any more.

I would worry for others that find themselves in a similar situation as I found myself as only for I am technically savvy and persistent I would have been royally screwed in the long run. Take into account the hoops I had to jump though just to prove that the meter was faulty and the fact that I rightly ignored the assertion of a qualified electrician that the meter was fine and still pressed ahead with my own investigation and took the risk of being charged €140 if incorrect. It seems that when things go wrong, they outcome is really stacked against the consumer.

Hi

Good to hear your billing issue is resolved.
    I am still waiting for my report from ESB.
    Looks like from meter reading that I will receive another 270€ bill for 2 months from Electric Ireland. :(

I don't know how to prove them that meter is going too fast.

Get a loan of a 2bar electric fire. Ensure nothing else is switched on. Read meter. Plug in..... switch on heater. Wait for 1 hour. Read meter.....reading should be +2 units.

Other way....meter may say how many revs per second of disc for 1 unit. Time speed of disc...how many revs it it doing when heater is on.

Hi

Looks like from meter reading that I will receive another 270€ bill for 2 months from Electric Ireland. :(

The only sure way to know, is to get a second meter installed. Either by purchasing the same one I have (efergy etc), or by requesting the ESB investigate. The issue is, that if they find nothing wrong, you will be liable for a fee.

I would suggest getting your own meter, as at least you can test various circuit breakers in your house also to see if there is any rouge appliance in your house draining electricity.

They are also useful in the long run too as it is easy to monitor your electricity usage.

Techdiver is correct. This is the only sure way. It will cost you...but it will prove if you are being overcharged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hi

Their is plenty of monitors around now, and plenty are quite cheap which might be helpful to you.

Just one option:> http://www.amazon.co.uk/OWL-micro-Wireless-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B007W0SQ3Y

garroff wrote: »
    Other way....meter may say how many revs per second of disc for 1 unit. Time speed of disc...how many revs it it doing when heater is on.

I saw this app in the play store which might be of use. Check kWh meter by byteandbeta.com. Just a simple stopwatch with a converter built in. You set the number of rev or impulses per kwhr and then time a fixed number of them, 10 or 20. It the calculates the kwhr usage. Simple but effective I think.
    Just switch off all the power except one socket circuit, preferable a bedroom circuit. Make sure nothing is plugged in. Fill an electric kettle with water and plug it into a working socket. If you leave the lid open, it takes a while to switch off but it will steam up the room.
    Go to the meter and use the app. It should be accurate enought.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

If the meter is accurate you may be liable for cost of verification test. (faulty meter very very rare).

Any possibility that some other, unknown load, connected- perhaps one that should not be there??

as in someone else using my electricity?

just calculated today 2 months usage:

day meter units: 460 units (1 unit price=0.1817)
    night meter units:904 units(1 unit price=0.0898)

is this normal average for 2 persons, using 1 electric heater at night, fridge and twice weekly using washing machine? We have CFL light bulbs.

Thanks
    adrian92 wrote: »
    If the meter is accurate you may be liable for cost of verification test. (faulty meter very very rare).

Any possibility that some other, unknown load, connected- perhaps one that should not be there??

as in someone else using my electricity?

just calculated today 2 months usage:

day meter units: 460 units (1 unit price=0.1817)
    night meter units:904 units(1 unit price=0.0898)

is this normal average for 2 persons, using 1 electric heater at night, fridge and twice weekly using washing machine? We have CFL light bulbs.

Thanks

So that's 1364 in 2 months?

We are in a one bed apartment and use roughly between 200 - 250 per month at any one time, so that would be a roughly 500 every 2 months.

We don't have electric heating though, but unless you are running it constantly I can't see how it would use that much electricity. We use the washing machine a good bit more though as we have a baby and a lot more boiling of kettles etc too. What is the wattage of the electric heater?

Hi,
    Yes about 1400 units for 2 months.
    I cant see the wattage on electric heater. it says Made in UK, no wattage. It has dials to set time of heating but i think maybe 2.2kW or so. its medium sized.
    how much do you pay for gas heating?
    So that's 1364 in 2 months?

We are in a one bed apartment and use roughly between 200 - 250 per month at any one time, so that would be a roughly 500 every 2 months.

We don't have electric heating though, but unless you are running it constantly I can't see how it would use that much electricity. We use the washing machine a good bit more though as we have a baby and a lot more boiling of kettles etc too. What is the wattage of the electric heater?

There is 900 units used on the night meter, 12 midnight to 8 am. Are you sure that there is no storage heaters switched on? How is your hot water heated? Does the immersion kick in at night and heat the cylinder from cold every night? Is your meter clocking up units on the night dial during the day and on the day dial during the night.

1 small storage heater is on at the night time.

We turn on the immersion for hot water in the morning only for 15-20 minutes to get luke warm water, otherwise its off.

any idea what could be the reason for this high units?
    frankmul wrote: »
    There is 900 units used on the night meter, 12 midnight to 8 am. Are you sure that there is no storage heaters switched on? How is your hot water heated? Does the immersion kick in at night and heat the cylinder from cold every night? Is your meter clocking up units on the night dial during the day and on the day dial during the night.

1 small storage heater is on at the night time.

We turn on the immersion for hot water in the morning only for 15-20 minutes to get luke warm water, otherwise its off.

any idea what could be the reason for this high units?

Just curious that your night usage is so high relative to day usage. Can you check the meter to see if day units are been counted as night and the other way area. If it is a mechanical meter, there is an arrow which point to the active dial. I'm not sure how to tell with a digital meter.
    Did you try out the check kWh meter app I mentioned before?

• Advertisement

Advertisement