Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogan at Mania - how would you use him?

• 15-01-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Its almost Wrestlemania XXX and its pretty much a lock that The Imortal Hulk Hogan will be part of the show in some way or form.

Many think he will have a match with Piper, or a tag match against Piper using young WWE talent to do the work. Some are Suggesting He wrestles a 1 on 1 with a Top Guy and others suggesting he will be used in someones corner.

Ive opened the poll above and feel free to write why you choose your option and what you'd like to see.

HOgan at Wrestlemania XXX - How would YOU use him? 47 votes

Have him team with Cena to take on the Real Americans
    0% 0 votes
    Have him in Daniel Bryans corner in the main event
    21% 10 votes
    Tag with Cena against Piper and Wyatt
    4% 2 votes
    Go one on one with Piper
    2% 1 vote
    Go one on one with John Cena
    2% 1 vote
    Go one on one with either Jack Swagger or Antonio Cesaro
    8% 4 votes
    Intrupts a promo by The Real Americans
    4% 2 votes
    Go one on one with The Undertaker
    40% 19 votes
    Go on on one with Daniel Bryan
    8% 4 votes
    Go one on one with Triple H
    0% 0 votes
    Have him in Cenas corner versus the Wyatts
    4% 2 votes
    Other
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Cean & Hulk vs. Real Americans, over who gets to use the title of real american. After Cena lays waste to Swagger gets the pin. Antonio attacks Cena with Hulk making the save and bum rush Antonio out of the ring. Zeb tries to attack Hulk with his sign only Hulk to spot him and point. Zeb get whip to the ropes by Hulk followed by the big boot. As Hulk make the run to the rope he stops and gestures to Cena to make the legdrop. Cena hits Zeb and both roll him out to of the ring. Cena and Hulk stand side by side with real american playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd rather have him in someone's corner, rather than him going over someone like he did with Orton and Michaels, or that WM21 beat down on Hassan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

I'd have Hogan host Wrestlemania, so other than a possible run-in or face off, zero wrestling. You could have him run a program for the week up to Mania promoting the history of the event, recapping old matches. Throw in a few additional old pros like Foley, Piper, Flair and maybe Hart and you've got some nice content for the WWE Network. This could be a dedicated hour long program or even just a few minutes during the proceeding RAWs and Smackdowns. Hogan's a legend, but is too beat up to do anything of note in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Id like to think personally that A Rean Americans v Cena and Hogan feud could be great if done correctly. Cena does the hard work in the ring and things work out like Jester has said above. Think a one on one match is personally a huge No No considering his age and him most likely going over seeing as its WM30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Cena/Hulk/Bryan vs Wyatt's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Can imagine real americans starting to interfere in Cena's matches, beat him down over a few months coming into WM, cena demanda a 2 on 1 handicap/no dq match or something along those lines. Have a third run down to help real americans beat cena down, then boom Hogans music hits and him and cena clean house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hogan losing to The Patriot in the opening dark match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cena, Hogan and Langston vs The Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

One of the Power Slam magazine commentators wrote in the recent issue a great idea for Hogan / WMXXX.
    He comes in as special guest referee for the WWE title match and does a heel turn. Then Vince sets him up as General Manager for a few months on RAW.
    Sounded exciting to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I'd go the route they did at mania 21 with Mohammad Hassan and daviri only use the real Americans instead, but after the rumble and Orrin winning it's hard to see who cena will be pitted against so it's possible cena could be in a match with hogan but off wwe didn't hype his return and he did the run in on the real Americans.

Would like to see piper involved in some way as I would warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

One of the Power Slam magazine commentators wrote in the recent issue a great idea for Hogan / WMXXX.
    He comes in as special guest referee for the WWE title match and does a heel turn.

Not sure if he's able to get down on his knees to make a pinfall count though. Even if he can, then it would still take at least 5 seconds and be horrible to watch him getting back up again.

I'd have him in a tag match or 6-man tag and let him throw some punches. I don't mind who the opponents are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't see the Real Americans be allowed near Cena in a Wrestlemania match. At the moment Swagger is putting over Big Show in a squash match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

You have to be very careful with Hogan due to his uncanny ability to make everything about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

please don't put him in an actual match, we all saw last year how Cena had to carry Dwayne, imagine what it'd be like with a 60yo who can barely walk straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I alone in not being arsed with him coming back? It's all about Stone Cold to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

He doesn't have a match in him, have him in someones corner if you must. Maybe walk down the ramp and distract a heel, celebrate with the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Keep him out of the ring please. Though if they loaded a match with big spots like they do for Undertaker he might manage something marginally above horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Paycheck aside (Hogan got about HALF A MILLION DOLLARS for his WrestleMania 21 appearance) so there's no way I'd chance him stealing the spotlight from WWE's moneymakers or up-and-comers (ie Bryan, Wyatts). However, I'd have him send the Real Americans packing and hotdogging for a few minutes. If the price was low enough. It'd be nice to see him but he's not adding any buys to Mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CSF wrote: »
    Am I alone in not being arsed with him coming back? It's all about Stone Cold to be honest.

Just play his theme tune during Zeb's crew's match to cause a distraction, no need for the man himself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

I dont want to see him involved at all. I was at wrestlemania 19 and he was way past it then-I though that match with Vince stunk the joint up, to even contemplate putting him in the ring again 11 years later greatly demeans the current talent. I wouldnt want him in Bryans corner as Hogan being Hogan hed try to steal the limelight. As someone who grew up loving Hogan as a kid, the only place I would have him is maybe on commentary or in some backstage segment.

For once WWE should put faith in the existing talent and trust them to carry the show. If creative do their jobs well between now and Mania they can easily build a card that people will care about sans Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Paycheck aside (Hogan got about HALF A MILLION DOLLARS for his WrestleMania 21 appearance) so there's no way I'd chance him stealing the spotlight from WWE's moneymakers or up-and-comers (ie Bryan, Wyatts). However, I'd have him send the Real Americans packing and hotdogging for a few minutes. If the price was low enough. It'd be nice to see him but he's not adding any buys to Mania.

I think he would add buys if it's publicised enough, Hogan is a household name and still great at all the media work. It's also a Mania without The Rock this year, and also we're at a spot where Lesnar appears just enough times during a year in that he's no longer a rare attraction. Also no more WHC match. So besides Taker's streak and the WWE Championship match, they may feel the need for that third special attraction, even if it's only a 5 minute cameo.

Hogan would definitely add buys once the WWE promotion machine is behind him again.Biggest wrestling star of all time, and he's not been on WWE TV for over 6 years.The casuals won't know about (or care) how crap his TNA run was,so no damage done there.He'll shift a tonne of merch too.

I think you're (we're) speaking from the internet wrestling bubble. I care and you care who Hogan is - but the absolute vast majority of wrestling fans, let alone non-wrestling fans will not pay to see him. Who matters right now is who sells - like John Cena's first movie sold, while Austin's first didn't. Bret's return to RAW in about 12 years since the Screwjob actually lost about 100,000 viewers from the week before. Any people who remember Hogan and are still fans now, are already buying wrestlemania. If you haven't seen his TNA media appearances, they're awful, and he often didn't even mention TNA. It's this silly bubble in wrestling where has-beens still have a name. To us he might be, but to everyone who matters (those on the fence about purchasing) he's just some d-list celebrity from 30 years ago. There's not some secret 100,000-strong fanbase yearning for that red & yellow reason to buy Mania.

if it's just a run-in it would have to be unannounced imo to have a proper impact, at least it would help push the dvd/blurry sales.

I think you're (we're) speaking from the internet wrestling bubble. I care and you care who Hogan is - but the absolute vast majority of wrestling fans, let alone non-wrestling fans will not pay to see him. Who matters right now is who sells - like John Cena's first movie sold, while Austin's first didn't. Bret's return to RAW in about 12 years since the Screwjob actually lost about 100,000 viewers from the week before. Any people who remember Hogan and are still fans now, are already buying wrestlemania. If you haven't seen his TNA media appearances, they're awful, and he often didn't even mention TNA. It's this silly bubble in wrestling where has-beens still have a name. To us he might be, but to everyone who matters (those on the fence about purchasing) he's just some d-list celebrity from 30 years ago. There's not some secret 100,000-strong fanbase yearning for that red & yellow reason to buy Mania.

People thought that 12 years ago when he returned initially,and were proven wrong.

It's Hulk Hogan,not Bret Hart (who was never in the same league popularity/fame wise outside of Canada). Hogan's still mentioned in pop culture these days,and he'd garner a a shedload of mainstream publicity once it's announced he's returning to WWE for one more run.

Imo he never mentioned TNA in interviews because I'd imagine he was embarrassed to be asociated with something so small time in comparison to what he's used to,and knew Dixie would never have the nerve to punish him because she needed him far more then he needed TNA.

The comparisons to Bret Hart and Austin (who was a bigger star at his peak) are to show you that just because someone/something's a big deal to us, it doesn't translate to big viewers or buys to the casual audience. Which is almost the entire audience.

People absolutely did not think that about X8 (which I assume you're referring to). Conversely, his featured feud 11 years ago at XIX was the lowest-bought WrestleMania this century.

Hogan's mentioning in pop culture is as a disgraced former celebrity. "Hey did you know this guy had sex with his friend's wife while his daughter's ringtone played?" not exactly box office calibre stuff. What else is he famous for? Failed reality TV show, failed marriage... WWE mentioning Hogan helps Hogan, not the other way around. Our view is skewed since we're hardcore wrestling fans, so he's always relevant to us, no matter if he can't bump or even walk easily. He's not adding anything to an already milestone WrestleMania. Especially when much bigger/more relevant acts are around (eg Lesnar, Batista). I don't know where these people who'll spend $70 just for Hogan are, who haven't bothered to see him ruin his legacy in TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I'd have Warrior beat him in 30 seconds

The comparisons to Bret Hart and Austin (who was a bigger star at his peak) are to show you that just because someone/something's a big deal to us, it doesn't translate to big viewers or buys to the casual audience. Which is almost the entire audience.

People absolutely did not think that about X8 (which I assume you're referring to). Conversely, his featured feud 11 years ago at XIX was the lowest-bought WrestleMania this century.

Hogan's mentioning in pop culture is as a disgraced former celebrity. "Hey did you know this guy had sex with his friend's wife while his daughter's ringtone played?" not exactly box office calibre stuff. What else is he famous for? Failed reality TV show, failed marriage... WWE mentioning Hogan helps Hogan, not the other way around. Our view is skewed since we're hardcore wrestling fans, so he's always relevant to us, no matter if he can't bump or even walk easily. He's not adding anything to an already milestone WrestleMania. Especially when much bigger/more relevant acts are around (eg Lesnar, Batista). I don't know where these people who'll spend $70 just for Hogan are, who haven't bothered to see him ruin his legacy in TNA.

When Hogan debuted with the nwo in 02 plenty of smarky people were critical that he was past it,nobody wanted to see him and that he'd only cause trouble backstage,which plainly wasn't the case.

He hasn't ruined his legacy with TNA either,hardly anyone even knows the company exists outside of wrestling fans.Same goes for the sex tape thing.You're falling into your own convoluted theory of things being skewed because we're wrestling fans.

I think Hogan returning for the first time in years is a different proposition than the likes of Lesnar or Batista returning because he carries a lot more nostalgic weight, and he'll draw a good few buys out of lapsed and casual fans,brother!

An actual match one on one has to be considered a bad idea. A run in or promo intruption would be the best thing IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Make the save against whoever is getting beat down by the Real Americans, hot dog and grand stand brother!

Seven minutes at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Id like him to come out cut a promo then heels come out like the unamericans starting beating warriors music hits and he makes the save then they pose off to finish

sky88 wrote: »
    Id like him to come out cut a promo then heels come out like the unamericans starting beating warriors music hits and he makes the save then they pose off to finish

They'll have to re hire Lance Storm so :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Meltzer says that WWE sent Hulk Hogan through their medicals. Not only is he not going to be wrestling, he's not cleared to do anything physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

They needed a medical to tell them that? They should've just asked me.

15 years ago.

Will probably be announced the night after EC as the "host" of Wrestlemania.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well thank f*ck for that one.

Hot Rod hinting at a reworking of the WM1 tag match.... oh dear.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10035414.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

Interupts a Real Americans promo. Gives them a beatdown but then they gain the upper hand for a few seconds. Just as it looks like all hope is lost, Warrior's music hits, out he comes and between them they overcome the Real Americans and finish standing in the ring together as Hogan's music plays.

Nice call back to WM 6 and 8.

Interupts a Real Americans promo. Gives them a beatdown but then they gain the upper hand for a few seconds. Just as it looks like all hope is lost, Warrior's music hits, out he comes and between them they overcome the Real Americans and finish standing in the ring together as Hogan's music plays.

Nice call back to WM 6 and 8.

And just like that Cesaro and Swagger were finished forever and ever and ever. :P

I'd actually like to see Hogan come out and endorse the Real Americans. That obviously won't happen though.

I'd like to see Hogan walk out, pose and f*ck off for good without opening his mouth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ending the Streak in a 60 minute classic.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Ending the Streak in a 60 minute classic.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Jesus, could you imagine :pac:

The internets would collapse up it's own arsehole :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Jesus, could you imagine :pac:

The internets would collapse up it's own arsehole :eek: :D

Make it a four way elimination with Bryan and Punk. Hogan pins them all :pac:

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Make it a four way elimination with Bryan and Punk. Hogan pins them all :pac:

Put Vince Russo in Hogan's corner, there's the swerve...

Advertisement