Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlestown Shopping Centre Apartments - Safe?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all! Me and the wife are thinking about renting an apartment right above the Charlestown shopping centre in Finglas. Could anyone please tell me if it's a nice and safe buildind/neighbourhood?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

yoohooo wrote: »
    Hi all! Me and the wife are thinking about renting an apartment right above the Charlestown shopping centre in Finglas. Could anyone please tell me if it's in a nice and safe buildind/neighbourhood?

Thanks

I'd avoid. Used to work in Finglas w/ at risk population and many of them were being given apartments by the social in this complex. Knew some of the lads really well and were't people I'd wanna live near!

Finglas in general is a bit of a kip IMO w/ massive issues w/ racism and violence. As always 98 percent of the people there are great but 2percent scumbags is a bit high for my liking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I'd have to disagree completely with the negative posting above.

I live (for the moment) less than 5 minutes walk from the Charlestown Shopping Centre. There's a lot of traffic, but other than that I could not complain in any way about the area (and I've been here for nearly 15 years, predating most of the infrastructure in the area).

I'm not sure what the "massive problems with racism and violence" are, I've never seen anything of that nature.

Everyone's experience is different, and the people you worked with may have had issues, but as a householder in the area, it's fine.

It's no more or no less a kip or a dangerous place than many other areas in Dublin.

TrueDub wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree completely with the negative posting above.

I live (for the moment) less than 5 minutes walk from the Charlestown Shopping Centre. There's a lot of traffic, but other than that I could not complain in any way about the area (and I've been here for nearly 15 years, predating most of the infrastructure in the area).

I'm not sure what the "massive problems with racism and violence" are, I've never seen anything of that nature.

Everyone's experience is different, and the people you worked with may have had issues, but as a householder in the area, it's fine.

It's no more or no less a kip or a dangerous place than many other areas in Dublin.

Point taken. But just to clarify- in my time in Finglas (4 years) I saw Polish/ Eastern European families bullied out of their houses w/ constant harassment/ racist graffiti etc. African lads I worked w/ (boys 15/16) targeted openly on the street walking home from school and not feeling safe.

Massive Traveller feuds between Avilla Park/ Dunsink Ln. (a few of the involved families would have people I personally know who were given housing at Charlestown)….etc etc etc. Like I said 98 % of people are absolutely fine and I'd have no problem walking around Charlestown/ Finglas etc….I just simply wouldn't live there.

The area around Lanesborough seems to be considerably better than lots of other parts of Finglas- still with my personal knowledge of undesirables who were given flats in Charlestown I simply could;t recommend it to the OP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No problems at all.

Pros:

Taxi rank at your door step
    Half decent shopping centre for basics
    Deputy mayor pub
    Spar
    Centra
    Bus route into town in 20 mins
    Off licence
    Close to M50
    Decent park across the way (lanes borough park) for jogging, kids football etc

Cons:
    The stigmata of Finglas.

kceire wrote: »
    No problems at all.

Pros:

Deputy mayor pub
    Spar
    Centra
    Off licence
    Close to M50

Cons:
    The stigmata of Finglas.

Just want to put out there that sometimes a "stigmata"(sic) can be earned. A man had his hand chopped off w/ a samurai sword at the Deputy Mayor pub a couple of years ago- and you list it as a pro???lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

drquirky wrote: »
    Just want to put out there that sometimes a "stigmata"(sic) can be earned. A man had his hand chopped off w/ a samurai sword at the Deputy Mayor pub a couple of years ago- and you list it as a pro???lol

I think that was meant as a cure for his stigmata :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

My boyfriend lived just around the corner from Charlestown last year. The only real problem I noticed when I was up staying with him was the closeness to the m50. The noise of traffic was fairly annoying as the road is busy 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just because one nutter went loopy with a sword there a couple of years ago doesn't make it a dodgy pub. It's not like it happens every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

I've been living round the corner in Lanesborough for the last 8 months or so. Haven't had any problems yet!

It's quiet enough day times and feels safe enough when heading home after dark.

The shopping centre itself is handy enough if a bit basic. Another pro for me is having the parcel motel there!

Just waiting for the cinema to open now...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No problems at all.

Pros:

Deputy mayor pub
    Spar
    Centra
    Off licence
    Close to M50

Cons:
    Deputy mayor pub
    The stigmata of Finglas.

There ya go.

OP if I was a young couple starting off I wouldn't bother me too much living there, however I wouldn't raise children there or put down any roots.

Post #2 is pretty accurate on the area ~ but for a starter with just you and the wife its ok IMO.

• Advertisement

It's unfortunate, but look at the 7 or so violent deaths since Christmas. One in Finglas. One in castleknock, which some would say is posher than most on the Northside, one in tall aight. The rest outside of Dublin.

All areas have good and bad points.

Don't see what the problem with the deputy mayor is. One incident since it's opening and people run scared on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Castleknock Cannibal case can hardly be spoken of in the same light as gangland style murders though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hey all,
    I lived in Lanesborought for about 4 years.

Of all the time that I lived there the only things that impacted me (not personally)was hearing about the arm chopping incident.
    Kids in the park building bonfires, which didn't bother me that much.

The only things that affected me personally were:
    1. one night a couple of lads were started making a huge racket trying to force their way into a house close by. Shouting "we want our ****ing money". I called the Guards. Never heard anything after that.
    2. One of the bin sheds that the local estate use was set on fire.
    Apart from point one I never felt in danger.
    To reiterate other posters I wouldn't want to put down roots or start a family there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Sorry for bit of off-topic but:
    Which agency you contact to find out/look for apartment in Charlestown Shopping centre?

I know the manager of charlestown shopping center, but haven't talked to him in a while and I think he went on holiday, is there any agencies around that deal with those apartments specifically?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

finglas is not safe theres been a few murders there recently

Edward O'Connor,
    Vincent Maher

there seems to be gangs in finglas targeting people and getting targeted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Edward O'Connor,
    Vincent Maher

I've spent countless nights in Finglas, both - walking around, and staying in AND walking around drunk, never got into any trouble. I think the finglas areas around N2 are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Just because one nutter went loopy with a sword there a couple of years ago doesn't make it a dodgy pub. It's not like it happens every day of the week.

Do you drink there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

folks, there has been a warning and infraction issued for posts that breach the charter. It is against the forum charter to make generalisations about an area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Gangland exists is all walks of life in Dublin and indeed Ireland. Some of the biggest gangland figures and drug trafficers live in more afluent areas away from the mayhem they create.

Finglas is an expansive area with many different characteristics depending on the area. The Lanesborough estate is a nice estate well kept, some of the others estates in the areas aren't as nice due to the large amount of rentals and lack of maintaining.

The comment about racism in Finglas is absurd. Around the Charlestown/Meakstown general area there is a lot of Eastern Europeans living happily. There is a couple of Traveller sites one within 5mins walk of the centre thats relatively alright. As far as I know Finglas and Ballyfermot have the least amount of Africans living in the areas in Dublin from the last census so racism is at nil on this issue. About five minutes walk from Charlestown centre heading towards the airport there is Balseskin which houses asylum seakers who do be out and about without any hassle.

All I will say about renting in a particular area you're not familiar with is to visit the general area both at day and night a couple of times to get a general feel for it, go for a walk and get a taste for it. The Charlestown centre area is pretty quiet and a wee bit isolated when the shops are closed, this is obviously due to the closed nature of apartment living. And the nearby estates walled and railing, A large amount of industrial estates surrounding it aswell.

There was also a comment about noise from the M50. After a few days you won't even notice it, the airport is close by and you hardly hear it. I lived in the opposite end if Finglas for a while and there was a train line near by, after a few days you don't even blink it becomes normality.

Edward O'Connor,
    Vincent Maher

Castleknock must be a slum then too.
    with the murder of 39-year-old Tom O’Gorman has been remanded in custody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Castleknock must be a slum then too.

That post was infracted kceire, move on please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I personally wouldn't choose to live there, because is are safer areas to live. But if it was temporary and was living in an apartment complex, without kids, I wouldn't rule it out. Its the pyjama wearing from the local women that irks me in certain areas. Get dressed ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I regularly shop in Charlestown though I don't live there and to be honest I don't really consider it to be Finglas. As someone else has posted, it's kinda isolated, and shopping in Dunnes in the centre is a very different experience from shopping in Superquinn in Finglas village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

athtrasna wrote: »
    I regularly shop in Charlestown though I don't live there and to be honest I don't really consider it to be Finglas. As someone else has posted, it's kinda isolated, and shopping in Dunnes in the centre is a very different experience from shopping in Superquinn in Finglas village.

Superquin in the village is mor middle class than most shops in the area..full of perma tanned biddies from the more affluent areas. I cant afford to shop there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

chopper6 wrote: »
    Superquin in the village is mor middle class than most shops in the area..full of perma tanned biddies from the more affluent areas. I cant afford to shop there!
    it's not really middle class even though I know ppl from Glasnevin and Drumcondra who make the trek to shop there, it's more a trad Finglas shop due to it being the only supermarket in the village. Half of it used to be a cinema way back, the existing front is still there. Price difference is a big myth anyway SuperValu/SQ aren't the largest retailer in the country by ripping ppl off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I never liked that Superquinn down Finglas village, it feels like the 1970s in there. I was always amazed at how the Superquinn group spent a fortune a few years back renovating all their stores with black walls and wooden floors but they never bothered doing the Finglas one- I haven't been down there is a few years now - did they ever bother doing it up or is it still the exact same ?

Anyway the Finglas area is very well served by supermarkets- apart from the Superquinn in the village there is also Iceland. Then the Dunnes at Charlestown and Tesco at Clearwater are both huge supermarkets and on top of that you've got Aldi and Lidl at the start of the Margaret's Road. The only supermarket chain that isn't in the Finglas area is Marks and Sparks

goz83 wrote: »
    Its the pyjama wearing from the local women that irks me in certain areas. Get dressed ffs!

In fairness, you wouldn't see that in Charlestown SC tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

In fairness, you wouldn't see that in Charlestown SC tbh.

You dont see it in Tesco clearwater very often either..i think they've banned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

Lived in Charlestown for 6 years and the area in general is a little bit crap in my opinion. There's just not really a lot on offer. Dunnes, grand. The rest of the shopping centre, not great. Urban outlet? I'd say I've seen about 5 people in that shop ever. Lifestyle? I've never seen more punters than staff. The jewellers? I got a watch battery changed once.

The deputy mayor is not a good pub. I don't like it and anytime I've had visitors in, they never suggest going back. Terrible smoking area too considering it was built after the ban. The Spar is very pricey. Luckily the chipper is Macari's. They can do no wrong :)

Re Racism: I've witnessed children on several occasions hurling racist abuse at the foreign men that play cricket during the summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement