Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SugarSync -VS- Cubby, Best free "folder specific" cloud sync backup?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I was recommended SugarSync on another thread here about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it since I got it. It's required absolutely no maintenance other than the odd update and I can just rely on it to back up whatever folder I assign and be safe in the knowledge it's done it without any problems. Unfortunately, sugarsync are discontinuing their free service from Feb 8th.

In that thread cubby was suggested as an alternative but I just thought I'd post here to get any views on how they compare. All I need is say 5GB of free storage, folder specific backup like Sugar Sync has (you select folders you want synced, not like drop box where you have to drop files/folders into your dropbox folder) and there to be no restrictions as to file size etc.

Sugarsync also offered a handy share tool where you could just generate a link for any file and share it with anyone and then disable the link whenever you wanted.

So in terms of limited file size etc, is there any reason no to go with cubby and should I just bite the bullet and pay for sugar sync?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Google Drive - 15GB free storage, you choose which folders to sync to each PC you install the application to and it has no file size restrictions. Intergration with Gmail is great as well as the Android application. Comes with online Office which is excellent for viewing / creating / editing files on the fly. Oh, it also has 99.99% uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, G Drive was mentioned previously too but it was established you can't choose specific folders on a computer? I don't mean sharing specific folders from G-Drive to a synced computer, but being able to integrate it with windows where I can choose to sync a new folder I just created on the desktop for example, but not the 2nd new folder I created.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dropbox? I love it, no need to try any others, I have 20gb free via referrals.
    If you need huge storage copy.com is great but no folder speficic syncing unfortunately

Dropbox doesn't offer folder specific uploads either unfortunately :( if you look at the video here: https://www.cubby.com/ and forward to 1:10, you'll see the difference; one big cubby folder, or making cubby's out of every folder, the later is what I'm after and what SugarSync and cubby both do that a lot of others don't. I'm looking for this functionality and just wondering does SugarSync do it in a better way than Cubby does as I don't want to migrate to Cubby if I'll be restricted by file size limit, security level etc and would rather just pay $18.75 for the 60GB into rate of SugarSync's paid service..

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Why not pay the price you were offered with Cubby / Sugarsync? I pay $4.99 a month for 100GB of space, an annual fee of $18.75 seems like a bargain for a service that does exactly what you want.

• Advertisement

Yeah, $18.75 is a good price but I think that fee just applies for the first year for users migrating from the free to paid service, the usual price is $79.99 a year for 60GB. The thing is, I'm a very light user and 5GB of free space for me is plenty, so if Cubby offers the same as I'm getting now for free, I'd rather migrate and have this service for the next 5 years, than stay with sugarsync and have to pay $340 odd if the price hikes up, which is probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm in the same situation as the OP. Google Drive/Dropbox/Box/Amazon Cloud/etc aren't suitable, as some folders aren't moveable.

One possibility I'm looking at is Windows symlinks. Works something like this:
    mklink /D "C:\Users\username\Documents\Dropbox\DesiredFolder" "C:\Path\To\DesiredFolder"

This creates a link called "DesiredFolder" in the Dropbox folder. As far as Dropbox is concerned, it will see that folder as existing under it, even though it's still in its original location

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Ooh, that looks a little complicated for me :o not too au fait with code or anything like that (at all) so wouldn't like to be messing around, I like to just have something working away in the background that works and doesn't need any technical input from me :o

28064212, what about cubby? Did you have a look at what it offers in comparison to Sugar Sync?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

cormie wrote: »
    Ooh, that looks a little complicated for me :o not too au fait with code or anything like that (at all) so wouldn't like to be messing around, I like to just have something working away in the background that works and doesn't need any technical input from me :o
    Well, once it's set up, it's done. Fair enough though
    28064212, what about cubby? Did you have a look at what it offers in comparison to Sugar Sync?
    Not yet. I do have an account on it, and it's the only one I've seen with that capability, so I probably will end up using it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

There's a program called Dropbox Folder Sync that will create all the symlinks for you through a right click menu. It should then behave just like sugarsync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Saw this over in bargain alerts - Any use?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057125736

Thanks for the alert, according to 28064212's post above, BOX won't suffice for this either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thanks for the alert, according to 28064212's post above, BOX won't suffice for this either :(

How about this thread. Might help you out. https://support.box.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200267418-Sync-any-folder

I also used to have Syncdocs installed on my pc until I rebuilt it before Christmas and it seemed to work great. I will be using it again with Google Drive once I get organized! http://www.syncdocs.com/blog/sync-any-folder-to-google-docs/

Interesting, thanks for that. I'm just not sure if these solutions are a bit too complicated for me as I'm just a basic user and much prefer out of the box solutions that doesn't require much tinkering with to know it's done right. See the files I'm backing up ARE important, they are just small so would be fine on a free 5gb allowance if it did it right.

Also one thing I was impressed with in sugar sync was I did an operating system reinstall and sugar sync just automatically recognised and set itself up as it was before once I had everything in place. No issues with it being a new install or anything :)

Interesting, thanks for that. I'm just not sure if these solutions are a bit too complicated for me as I'm just a basic user and much prefer out of the box solutions that doesn't require much tinkering with to know it's done right. See the files I'm backing up ARE important, they are just small so would be fine on a free 5gb allowance if it did it right.

Also one thing I was impressed with in sugar sync was I did an operating system reinstall and sugar sync just automatically recognised and set itself up as it was before once I had everything in place. No issues with it being a new install or anything :)

Syncdocs was pretty painless when I was using it. I would assume it will just pick up where it left off when I reinstall it again on the pc.

Also if the files are only about 5gb would it be just as easy to use Dropbox, BOX of Google drive and just have a copy of the Stuff in your syncing folder? You can use something like allway sync to keep them in perfect sync on your main machine.

Thanks again for the suggestions, wouldn't want to complicate things with duplicate files and more than one program doing the job really and relying on more than one service either. Surprised cubby isn't getting much feedback.

Thanks again for the suggestions, wouldn't want to complicate things with duplicate files and more than one program doing the job really and relying on more than one service either. Surprised cubby isn't getting much feedback.

Sounds like you have your mind set on Cubby. I would just go for it if I were you and try it out for a few weeks

Yeah I might just do that :) Only have a little bit of time left now before SugarSync expires :(

If anyone else has use them both, please post up your experiences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 surgein

Yeah I might just do that :) Only have a little bit of time left now before SugarSync expires :(

If anyone else has use them both, please post up your experiences :)

I wonder how is the OP doing with the cubby. I have the exactly same situation. I tried Bitcasa, the synced folder was write protected on the other device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OneDrive might be a potential:

While OneDrive doesn't do folder specific, you can loophole it. You could do this with Dropbox and any other service too.

Simply change the system location for the Onedrive folder to be your Documents/Videos/Music library, or in Windows 8 you can even just create a new library. Libraries are the functionality you want: right-click on any folder in the system now, and you can assign it to be included as part of your library. If the theory holds, the Onedrive would see the new included content and begin to sync it. To try this, right click on any folder>include in library>new library. you'll see the new library under your libraries list in explorer, named originally as whatever folder you first added. From there, just go to OneDrive properties and change its location to the new library's location.

surgein wrote: »
    I wonder how is the OP doing with the cubby. I have the exactly same situation. I tried Bitcasa, the synced folder was write protected on the other device.

I never migrated in the end, I decided to trial sugarsync for the year at the price and didn't have time to full research the switch to cubby so never went with it.

I saw this site today and it got me thinking of this thread: http://support.degoo.com/customer/portal/articles/1350649-degoo-vs-dropbox

it does the folder backup but there's not much else about it or how reliable it might be compared to the bigger sites like dropbox.

Just back here again. My sub with sugarsync renewed automatically so I'm with them another few months at least. The current Sugarsync deals are $75 for 100GB or $99 for 250gb.

Just saw Mega (new startup from the founder of megaupload founder) are offering 50gb free storage and you can select specific folders, along with a mobile app and I guess good encryption too? Could be an option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just back here again. My sub with sugarsync renewed automatically so I'm with them another few months at least. The current Sugarsync deals are $75 for 100GB

That's very expensive! Cubby is a neater solution imho and only costs half that.

At the moment I have one drive (222GB) - all free. Google drive is again about half cheaper than Cubby, but I don't really like google drive myself

yup, think I'll need to check out other options for renewal time. Does one drive offer folder specific locations and you don't have to have a "one drive" folder? How do you get 222gb for free :eek:

Is there options to share via link or selected email address different files and folders?

Advertisement