Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max speed on phone line

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a previous Eircom customer and am reconsidering going back to Eircom after our contract ends with Sky in April.

I understand that all these internet providers are running through our current old Eircom phone line but I am quite puzzled by the speed on the line.

When we first got broadband over the phone line about 4 or 5 years ago we had the 3mb package and were getting about 2.7mb speed. Then about 3 years ago the max speed we could get was 1.9. These days we're lucky to get 1.0mb. It is truly awful.

My question is, with technology developing so fast and 4g networks introduced lately, how is it possible for our internet speeds to get worse over time rather than better? I know our internet is with Sky but its coming through the Eircom phone line and if any maintenance needs to be done on phone lines, it is done by Eircom.

I can PM you details of landline number and address when necessary.

Regards
    Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Colemania wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a previous Eircom customer and am reconsidering going back to Eircom after our contract ends with Sky in April.

I understand that all these internet providers are running through our current old Eircom phone line but I am quite puzzled by the speed on the line.

When we first got broadband over the phone line about 4 or 5 years ago we had the 3mb package and were getting about 2.7mb speed. Then about 3 years ago the max speed we could get was 1.9. These days we're lucky to get 1.0mb. It is truly awful.

My question is, with technology developing so fast and 4g networks introduced lately, how is it possible for our internet speeds to get worse over time rather than better? I know our internet is with Sky but its coming through the Eircom phone line and if any maintenance needs to be done on phone lines, it is done by Eircom.

I can PM you details of landline number and address when necessary.

Regards
    Shane

Hi Colemania

I will be unable to comment on the reasons for your slow speed experience with another provider. All questions surrounding your current speed should be raised with your provider however feel free to PM me your landline number as I can check what speeds eircom may be able to offer your line.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement