Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance taking payment when i'm allgedly not covered.

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Quick query. I'm currently in dispute with an insurance company over a lost phone. They are claiming that I can't claim as it is a second claim within a certain time period. In the documentation that they have sent me, there is nothing in the T&Cs about a time period. I also believe that they are incorrect about the dates.

However, they have been charging me an insurance fee every month since July, even though by their reckoning I would not be covered for anything until Mid-January. Is this legal? Should they have informed me of this? Should i be paying for insurance even though i'm receiving no benefit from it??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What does your original T&C's say about the term of your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The T&Cs say nothing about lost and stolen phones. The only section with anything resembling a time period is "The Cover provided: Repair of the mobile phone by the Administrator, its servants or agents, provided the phone is not damaged beyond economic repair. The insured shall only be entitled to two such repairs during any 12 month period."

I may be being pedantic, but i have not gotten any phone repaired by them. One was stolen, and the most recent was lost. I'm appealing this decision, but my man question is if i lose this appeal, do i have any rights regarding the insurance company taking payment even though they knew that they wouldn't cover me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No. The premium would be an annual premium. Just because you pay it on a monthly basis this does not change the nature of it being a 12 month policy. Normal practice would be if you paid the policy in one lump and wished to cancel there would be no refund on the premium.

suggest you relook at the t & c's to see if it says otherwise.

Doesn't say anything about 12 month cover. Period of cover on the t&C states "The period whilst the insured continues to pay premium as required to the Insurer"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

who the insurer?

• Advertisement

peteb2 wrote: »
    who the insurer?

Its Phonecover, through O2, i think its Zurich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm not familiar with phone/gadget insurance, but can I ask you to look at the policy wording for some form of heading that references Reinstatement of Sum Insured Following Loss?

Some insurance policies treat the cover as being 'determined' if you make a claim for total loss of an insured item. In other words, if the item covered is paid for in full, the cover ends and you must take out a new policy for the replacement.

In that case, they shouldn't keep taking the premium unless it is written somewhere that it is 'minimum and deposit' In plain English that means, when you agree a premium at inception, you promise to pay that amount in full regardless of whether you cancel the policy or put in a full value claim

Advertisement